Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBC:

Wenger considers moving for Petit

Arsenal could re-sign former star Emmanuel Petit on a short-term deal to ease the midfield crisis at Highbury.

Patrick Vieira, Gilberto and Edu are all out of next week's Champions League tie against Rosenborg and the Premiership title clash with Chelsea.

Petit, 34, who left Arsenal in 2000, is training with the Gunners and could join immediately as a free agent.

"It isn't in my mind at the moment to sign him but maybe he could help us for a few months," said Wenger.

The Arsenal manager added: "I haven't ruled it out. It has crossed my mind to help Emmanuel."

After leaving Highbury, having been part of the 1998 Double team, Petit spent one season at Barcelona and then three seasons at Chelsea.

But he was released by the west Londoners at the end of last season and struggled to find a club because he needed major surgery on a knee problem.

Wenger allowed his fellow Frenchman to train with Arsenal while he regained his fitness but now, with Vieira suspended for those two crucial games and Brazilian duo Gilberto and Edu injured, the manager might turn to Petit.

If he does not bring Petit back, Arsenal's central midfield for the crunch December fixtures will consist of 17-year-old Francesc Fabregas and 20-year-old Mathieu Flamini.

There is an added complication with Edu, as his contract expires at the end of this season which means the midfielder, linked with Barcelona, could leave in January.

"He (Petit) is here to get back to full fitness and find a club. I am just interested in helping him find a club where he could play for one or two years and he will not find that with us," Wenger told the London Evening Standard.

"But I know him, I know he is a great player and if Edu goes..."

----

Interesting ...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I wouldn't mind him covering CB because he can't be worse than Cygan but not CM , he doesn't have the legs anymore, anyway Edu will be back fit by Jan so i don't see the point unless he just sits on the bench for a couple of games.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jern Lizardhous said:
I wouldn't mind him covering CB because he can't be worse than Cygan but not CM , he doesn't have the legs anymore, anyway Edu will be back fit by Jan so i don't see the point unless he just sits on the bench for a couple of games.
It's this line I find the most interesting:

"But I know him, I know he is a great player and if Edu goes..."

I think he may've just given away that Edu is going and Gilberto's gone for the season, and we simply cannot do a full league campaign with three central midfielders; two of whom are kids and one who is a shadow of his former self.

·
63,337 Posts
if that's the case we really need to buy if Edu goes in January, we can't rely on Petit, he's 34 and he will get injured for sure, even his last days at Arsenal he was already injury prone and that was when he was still young.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If Edu goes I hope some of these Mascherano 8m rumours are true as then we really will have some purpose for a sixth central midfielder once Gilberto is fit again (if he ever is). Personally I wouldn't be too fussed if we let Edu go as he won't get any better as a player, and Mascherano is a class act.

·
63,337 Posts
yeah i'd be happy with Mascherano, Kompany, Hildebrand and SWP arriving in January, then i will wake up. :tongue:

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Odds are Mascherano is headed to La Liga with Deportivo and of course Real Madrid the front runners to secure the Argentine.

If I could sign one player for our CM it would be Benoit Pedretti but after the Flamini affair I doubt Marseille are keen on dealing with AFC.

Still think we should look at poaching talent from Dortmund, Mandouni at CB and Kehl in CM would be perfect.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I agree with your Dortmund statement completely. Dortmund will sell as they're simply broke, I mean they were doing a pretty good job trying to offload Koller just to pay off some of their debts.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found this on Soccernet:

Wenger warns Edu: Sign or be sold

Arsene Wenger has warned Edu that he must sign a new Arsenal contract by January - or risk facing five months on the sidelines as the Gunners boss will sign a replacement.

Edu, whose contract expires at the end of this season, has so far failed to agree terms on a new deal with Arsenal amid reported interest from Barcelona.

However, while Wenger would like the Brazilian international to stay at Highbury, he has given him less than a month to make up his mind on his future.

If Edu fails to put pen to paper, the Arsenal boss will dip into the January transfer market to sign an experienced replacement.

And if Edu then agrees a pre-contract with another club, that could result in him being left out of the Arsenal starting line-up - as Sylvain Wiltord found to his cost last season.

Wenger declared: 'It's up to Edu. If he doesn't sign a new deal, we will buy someone else. It's as simple as that.

'He has an offer from us. If he doesn't take up that offer, we have to consider the situation is not in our hands any more. He can sign anywhere else on January 2, so he has much to consider.

'Once someone has signed for someone else, it's difficult to be completely orientated and committed to his club.

'You might worry about getting injured. That's why I'm not convinced this rule is right. Basically, it denies the guy to fulfil his complete contract until the end.'

Edu must therefore consider whether to look abroad for a new challenge on a Bosman free transfer or to repay Arsenal for their loyalty in sticking by him through passport and injury problems.

Wenger added: 'He has an offer from us that shows we want to keep him. But I can accept it if that isn't good enough and he feels he can get more somewhere else.

'I'm not surprised as he's a great player. He's a professional footballer and, if he can get a better offer, then he has to consider that.

'But we must consider what is in the best interests of the club. We have a wage scale here that must be respected.

'We would buy someone experienced who would be available straight away as we already have Cesc Fabregas and Mathieu Flamini.'

Wenger denied an interest in River Plate midfielder Javier Mascherano, while he played down the prospects of re-signing Emmanuel Petit despite earlier indications to the contrary.

Petit, 34, who was released by Chelsea last summer, is currently working his way back to fitness by training with his former club, with whom he won the double in 1998.

Wenger earlier declared: 'It's not in my mind to sign him at the moment, but maybe he could help us for a few weeks. I've not ruled it out.'

However, he later added: 'I said that about Petit as you never say no. But I'm more concerned about getting our players back from injury.

'He hasn't played for a long time. He's been tremendous for us in the past, so we're helping him to get his fitness back and find a longer-term contract somewhere else.'

Wenger also confirmed Tromso goalkeeper Kanut Borsch was coming for a trial next week but insisted 'it's more to have a look at him than to buy him as we already have good goalkeepers'.

----

Very interesting. It's obviously definite that Edu is leaving, most likely to Spain. But his comments regarding Petit make it obvious that he's definitely considering it as he needs to ease Cesc's workload as the poor little guy will be completely burnt out by February.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Injuries, really. He hasn't been the same since the double season in 1998. He's still brilliant but those knees are very dodgy. Vieira will be like him sooner or later.

·
63,337 Posts
khimik said:
Vieira will be like him sooner or later.
blimey, you are a happy chappie, let's hope not. :finger:

I don't think Vieira will ever get as bad as Manny, i've never seen a player put as much pressure on his joints as Petit, he used to never stop running , twisting and turning, Paddy''s more loping running style will benefit i think.

anyway if Wenger is so worried about Fabregas why hasn't he played Flamini yet ? West Brom, Southampton and Palace games would have been perfect, doesn't he trust him ?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, by that I meant Vieira's going to get injured more frequently and for longer now and in the future than he would a few years ago. It's the natural order of a DM, they get dodgy legs and get injured a lot.

Don't think PV4 will get as bad as Petit is but he'll still get injured a lot more as he gets older. Plus, he's huge so that's a lot of weight on those joints. Same deal for Sulzeer :(.

·
63,337 Posts
he's missed ten games for all the last three seasons, so if it stays like that he will be ok, of course when he gets to 31, 32 he can play CB for another couple of years where you don't have to run. :D

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jern Lizardhous said:
he's missed ten games for all the last three seasons, so if it stays like that he will be ok, of course when he gets to 31, 32 he can play CB for another couple of years where you don't have to run. :D
Worked for Desailly ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts