Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on referees to stamp out diving by suspending guilty players.

Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is the latest Premiership player to be accused of diving in order to get an opposition player sent off.

And Wenger said: "We have to fight it and there is only one way to punish people diving obviously: suspension.

"Once it is in the game it is difficult to get it out. Once a guy knows he might be punished he will not dive."

Wright-Phillips was accused of diving in Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win on Wednesday and Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott was sent off.

"My view without going into any individual case is that we are all as managers to fight against it," Wenger said.

"Sometimes the players dive just because they pushed the ball too far and the only way to get something out of the situation is to dive.

"We are all managers who can never say that one of our players has not dived. Nobody can say that in our league.

"I can say that when my team are not involved I am 100% against it."

Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you have to bring Sir Alex into this?

Do you intend to start a fight with me in all topics?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Red Bed said:
Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.
fuk me, are they still going on about this? :howler:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Red Bed said:
Why do you have to bring Sir Alex into this?

Do you intend to start a fight with me in all topics?
Because you are being a hypocrite yourself by critisising AW, when you own manager is just about as bad!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
all managers are hypocrites, at least Wenger is honest in his hypocrisy, even with the smiles to camera when he says "did not zee it" :D

i suppose there are a few exceptions like 'Onest Pearcie, gives it to you straight. ;)

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A.Murray said:
Because you are being a hypocrite yourself by critisising AW, when you own manager is just about as bad!
Bloody muppet, if you're that eager to talk about Sir Alex then why don't you open a new topic about him?

This thread is about Arse-ene Whinger.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Red Bed said:
Bloody muppet, if you're that eager to talk about Sir Alex then why don't you open a new topic about him?

This thread is about Arse-ene Whinger.
No need to get upset over the truth yatta.

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ruud is an honest player, he rarely is involved in dives.

But after the A. Cole incident at Old Trafford last season his reputation got a right bash.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't really see how Wenger's being a hypocrite.

Wenger wants all players punished for diving including his own, but obviously if one of his players dives and gets away with it he'll be happy just like any Arsenal fan would be.

All England fans were happy when Owen dived against Argentina in WC02, but the same fans also want players punished for diving.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I agree, I don't really see anything hypocritical about it.The key phrase being "...when my team is not involved...".

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Yatta this is the English football forum, not the Arsenal one, therefore we are well entitled to discuss matters of english football. If you wanted solely to discuss Wenger, I'd be happy to move it to the Arsenal forum.

Its ironic though that you saw the need to slur me for telling people to stay on topic, and yet when the same thing happens here you fly off the handle. Seems Wenger isn;t the only hypocrite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts