Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arsène Wenger has ruled out a move for Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, although he does concede that his team needs established players in the 24-27 age bracket.

He did not rule out spending money on new players in any position, and has spoken of Arsenal's ability to match any Premiership team - except Chelsea - in the transfer market.

"This year, we have the money available and we will spend it if I find what is really needed for the squad - in any department," he said.

"I have an under-21s team from one to 11. Then we have some exceptional players aged over 30 - like Robért Píres, Dennis Bergkamp and Sol Campbell.

"But we need a few more in the bracket from 24 to 27, who are established players."

Wenger conceded that in a bidding war for Gerrard, Chelsea would always have the upper hand over the Gunners.

Wenger noted: "I'm not especially after Steven Gerrard.

"I wouldn't say no but I know from the start that he would not go from Liverpool for less than £30m. Therefore I don't even envisage buying him for one second.

"We cannot compete financially with Chelsea. Players won't automatically go there - but if it's down to financial issues they certainly will," he conceded.

"It's very bad for the transfer market. Whether it's bad for the game, I don't know, because they can build great teams.

"But there are just enough players in the world that we're not necessarily all after the same ones.

"In any case, it's not about what you've done; you are attractive for what you can do, the type of football you play and the way you live."

When asked if Arsenal would be able to match any English club in the transfer market this summer, Wenger was definitely positive.

"Yes," he replied immediately. "Manchester United have always spent much more than Arsenal. They bought Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith and Louis Saha in the same year," he pointed out.

"We have been in the same bracket as Tottenham, Liverpool and Newcastle maybe - but we've had the advantage of being in the Champions League each season.

"This summer, I will go for stability - not necessarily a revolution - but we will try to add one or two players."

-----------

All been said before but it's good to see he's not being silly with the money and not wasting it on Mr. Overrated himself, Gerrard. Although if he spent 30m on Xabi Alonso ... ;)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
khimik said:
Although if he spent 30m on Xabi Alonso ... ;)
:nono: :finger:

50 million + Henry, Campbell and Vieira then maybe we'll consider :D

You can have Gerrard for about 40 million, if he goes I'd rather he went to you then Chelsea, doubt you'd pay that though. Hopefully he stays!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
we don't need Xabi Alonso we have Cesc who has more strings to his bow and will be GIGANTIC next season.

good to see he's going to spend some money though, this will be a great summer and be a nice change from our normal summers where we are normally talking about whether Paddy will leave rather than who we are going to bring in. :rollani:

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
seriously we dont want Alonso.
And i like gerrard but i dont want him either, our partnership of Vieira and gilberto is great, no need to change it at all.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
no need to change but it is an area of our first XI which could be improved.

Now come on, we have missed Gilberto while he has been injured and he is a very important player. But the likes of gerrard or maybe even essien would certainly be an improvement.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
we don't need Xabi Alonso we have Cesc who has more strings to his bow and will be GIGANTIC next season.

good to see he's going to spend some money though, this will be a great summer and be a nice change from our normal summers where we are normally talking about whether Paddy will leave rather than who we are going to bring in. :rollani:
:D Funny, but so true. :thmbup:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
gerrard and vieira would be a scary central duo. but gerrard isnt needed, its more of a want for teh club. Arsenal need to fix their team up in terms of what is needed, then if anything is left in the piggy bank, they can play around. but spending 30 plus million on gerrard isnt exactly something arsenal is able to do.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I see beckham coming to Arsenal.. That would be money wisely spent on an established player. Arsenal fans get ready for the arrival of the world's greatest midfielder..

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CUG said:
gerrard and vieira would be a scary central duo
Who's going to do the screening role? Vieira? Vieira is not that sort of DM, the only way those two could play together is if we play a 3-man midfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts