Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Administrator
53,192 Posts
Yeah seems to be done, not exactly one of the front runners of Arse players to buy. Will be 3rd choice CB most likely, while you needed starting CB.

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
My general opinion mirrors the Sheva one.
"Meh"
Then again, is about the class of getting Mellberg, except he is younger. ;)

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Why the hell??

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
In fairness, comparing us with Juve only serves to shut Osman up, but it's hardly the benchmark of defending quality. Most teams in the top 10 rival or outclass Juve's CBs.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A news reporter on tv has just confirmed the deal a couple of minutes ago.

It appears indeed he'll be joining us :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I was shocked to hear of our interest in him, now i hear its confirmed?!!!

Im sure there were better options...We are already prone to goofs enough as it is!

This is one of the very few times that i hope i am wrong about a player...

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
I think Senderos will surprise many people positively in serieA. In other words it annoys me that you've gotten him.

He will make a gaffe now and then, but in the main he will be solid, strong in the air, no nonsense, not fast but not slow and positionally aware.

Clearly he is not a superstar signing, but I would rather play him than Kaladze.

On something else, one can definitely debate whether you've spent your money wisely (considering that salaries are an ever more important compartment), but one can hardly say you lost anyone important apart from the loss of ageing players deterioating, and the haul before 2008/2009 - disregarding youngsters - could be said to be:

----------------Abbiati
Zambrotta Senderos---X-------------X
----------------------Flamini
------------Ronaldinho
---------Boriello---------Sheva

Thats seven quality players no matter how you look at it, and whereas the appropriation of funds is debatable for the long term, you cannot point to many - if any - teams among the bigs that strenghtened more.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
interesting to see how he does in Italy, struggled abit with the pace of English football when i've seen him play

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
----------------Abbiati
Zambrotta Senderos---X-------Antonini
----------------------Flamini
------------Ronaldinho
---------Boriello---------Sheva

:)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
He did do pretty well against us in the CL though. Hopefully he has more such games in him.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just another defender who is inclined to make stupid mistakes... Not a stable one at all! Is that the best we could get?

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I honestly think he'll do well for you. He can't handle the pace of the game in England because he has the turning circle of a large truck and he doesn't react well to physical strikers like Drogba. Plus Arsenal's style of play needs defenders with good recovery speed, which he doesn't have. Which is why he always looks better for Switzerland than Arsenal. In a more pragmatic team I think he'll do okay. Good deal for everyone involved, I would say.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Was Rozenhal any good for Lazio? I didn't see him play for them but he had similar problems to Senderos, although Senderos is better.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I don't know why I seem to be the only one to think Senderos is a good defender :)

I am quite happy with this deal, I think he has potential, he's young, and financially it was a good deal afterall (loan for 1 year with the option to buy)

Welcome Philippe!!! Awaiting the official announcement..

·
Registered
24,041 Posts
I honestly think he'll do well for you. He can't handle the pace of the game in England because he has the turning circle of a large truck and he doesn't react well to physical strikers like Drogba. Plus Arsenal's style of play needs defenders with good recovery speed, which he doesn't have. Which is why he always looks better for Switzerland than Arsenal. In a more pragmatic team I think he'll do okay. Good deal for everyone involved, I would say.
I been asking for a pacy defender with great reaction speed for a long time. Seemingly that is not what we got. against most teams we meet it will be covering for counterattacks, I don't see the big difference compared to Kaladze.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I been asking for a pacy defender with great reaction speed for a long time. Seemingly that is not what we got. against most teams we meet it will be covering for counterattacks, I don't see the big difference compared to Kaladze.
They are quite similar, including their mistakes....

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
:howler::howler::howler::howler:

1 - 20 of 138 Posts