Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/4281309.stm

The Football Association has confirmed it is in talks with Merseyside and Lancashire Police after trouble at two of the weekend's FA Cup matches.Violence marred the game between Everton and Manchester United and there were also incidents at the tie involving Burnley and Blackburn.

"The FA hopes the individuals involved can be identified and dealt with under the law," a statement confirmed.

United keeper Roy Carroll and Burnley's Jean-Louis Valois were hit by objects.Three supporters also managed to get on to the pitch at Burnley - one allegedly threatening Rovers midfielder Robbie Savage.

Both clubs insist they will ban the culprits involved for life, a stance that has won support from the FA.

"The FA welcomes banning orders for anyone identified as engaging in violent or racist behaviour at football matches," the statement added.

United's trip to Goodison Park marked Wayne Rooney's first appearance at his old club since his £27m summer move to Old Trafford.

Tensions ran high throughout the match, which kicked off at 1730 GMT, and afterwards violent clashes between rival fans resulted in injury to five police officers and 33 arrests, mostly for public order offences.

Sports Minister Richard Caborn had earlier questioned whether high-pressure matches should start late and the FA and BBC may come under pressure to abandon their policy of scheduling the main fixture on a Saturday evening.

However, Merseyside assistant chief constable Mick Gianassi said the kick-off time was not too instrumental in the problems.

"We took that into account when we spoke to the club and the television company about the time of the game and our resources that we had available reflected that," he added.

"That is why we were able to bring it under control very quickly when the trouble did start.

"The reality is that about 300 or 400 people came here intent on causing trouble and it really wouldn't have mattered what time of day it was.

"We police society and we have to deal with the issues we are faced with - and one of the issues we have to deal with is the commercial interests of football clubs and the desire of people to watch football late in the afternoon."

On a weekend that shamed football, worrying events were not limited to Goodison Park. Sunday's FA Cup match between local rivals Burnley and Blackburn and the Old Firm meeting between Celtic and Rangers were also marred by troubling incidents.

"For three people to encroach on the field of play was careless and it should be looked at," said Blackburn manager Mark Hughes after the Turf Moor match.

"Sometimes it's difficult if people are determined but sometimes stewards and the police have to be more aware of the potential of that - but they were slow to react."

However, Burnley chief executive Dave Edmundson countered: "I am absolutely confident the operation in place was the best we could have done.

"Unfortunately, somebody got on to the pitch and we have to look at that and deal with it. It's all on CCTV and it will be looked at, discussed and action taken.

"If people are deemed to be in breach of ground security and safety regulations then we will apply life bans to those people for this ground."

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Police probe Old Firm incidents

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4282179.stm

Strathclyde Police have launched an investigation after Rangers midfielder Fernando Ricksen was struck on the head by a lighter thrown from the crowd.Ricksen needed a stitch to a head wound near the end of Rangers' 2-0 victory over the champions at Celtic Park.

Match commander Kevin Smith said: "We are continuing enquiries into this, as well as using CCTV footage to assist in identifying those responsible."

There were also 30 arrests, 12 for acts of "religious prejudice".

The Scottish Football Association is likely to have its own investigation of the game, with a spokesman stating: "We will wait for the referee's report and act accordingly."

That report will not arrive at Hampden until next month.

Celtic aim to identify the culprit and a club spokesman said: "I can confirm that an object was thrown at the Rangers player and I believe it was a lighter that was thrown.

"We are studying video tapes of the incident to identify the individual.

"We will act accordingly thereafter, but that is ongoing."

Police chief superintendent Smith said: "Following the Celtic v Rangers game at Celtic Park, I can confirm there was a total of 30 arrests in and around the stadium.

"Twelve of these were for offences of religious prejudice, one was for a racist offence and the remaining 17 were for other minor offences.

"We are aware of a further incident that took place during the second half of the game."

Dutchman Ricksen was showered with objects - including coins - and abuse from the home fans as the Ibrox men ended their five-year streak without a win at Celtic Park.

It was a replay of the scenes at Goodison Park on Saturday in which Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll was hit by a coin during his side's FA Cup success over Everton.

And it rekindled memories of the Old Firm game in 1999, when referee Hugh Dallas needed treatment having been hit by a coin during a Rangers victory.

Rangers goalscorer Gregory Vignal was close to the Ricksen incident.

"It was a cigarette lighter and that's why I gave it to the referee," said the French defender.

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill condemned the behaviour of some of the supporters.

"That would be disappointing if anything was thrown at any players," he said.

"You want the passion and everything else about the game, but you don't want it to get to that stage."

Rangers manager Alex McLeish played down the incident and thought it should not overshadow his side's victory.

"I don't want to make a big issue of it," he said.

"Fernando played extremely well and showed a lot of commitment and bravery, but he has had a stitch inserted in the corner of his brow.

"It's not an incident unique to Scotland. The crowd was generally well behaved, but unfortunately sometimes these things happen."

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Dont you love the press sensationalism :howler:

2 games from 40 odd and suddenly its a weekend of violence.

Blackburn and Burnley have a history of bad violence in their games, so thats not a surprise either really.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
It always makes me laugh how these things are only brought up when it happens in high profile matches. There's fighting every week at football games, but alot in the lower leagues goes fairly unnoticed, a bit of trouble involving a premier league team and there's up roar.

Oh and as for people throwing things at players being isolated and just one person in the crowd, please...on saturday a Rotherham player was knocked into the away fans, 1 minute later I don't think anyone had any spare change, it happens all the time, you just have to be a good shot to hit them, and hot them hard enough they notice.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
Blackburn and Burnley have a history of bad violence in their games, so thats not a surprise either really.
Can just imagine how nasty that one was, Burnley are bad enough as it is, it was only 1 or 2 years a go a Forest fan was stabbed to death at Burnley before a game.

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few nasty incidents to be sure, but to call it "a weekend that shamed football" is typical hyperbole from the press. A lot of these journalists were practically watering at the mouth at the prospect of it kicking off at Goodison, so it was little more than self-fulfilling prophesy when it did. As you guys said, the prospect for trouble in a Lancashire derby or the Old Firm is hardly news either.

Anyway I guess I'm a bit guilty in fuelling this by quoting the headline but I was just curious to see others' reactions.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well the return of the prodigal plonker to Merseyside was always likely to upset the bluesh1te.

And the odd object throwing is stupid but I'd rather that than the racist chanting I was hearing about AGAIN in Spain. About time something was done

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4302253.stm

Real Madrid lost vital ground to Barcelona in the Spanish title race after losing to Deportivo La Coruna.
They went down 2-0 in a match soured by racism directed at Real's Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos, which led to the match being temporarily halted.

The referee, Jose Javier Lostantos Omar, stopped the match so a message could be put out on the public address system asking for the abuse to stop.

Albert Luque's goal and an own goal from Francisco Pavon helped Depor win.

Meanwhile Barcelona increased their lead to eight points with a 1-1 draw at Numancia.

La Liga's basement club opened the scoring shortly before the break through midfielder Juanlu.

But Barca bounced back moments after the re-start when defender Rafael Marquez fired in following a corner.

"A draw was a fair result," reflected Barca boss Frank Rijkaard.

"This game was always going to be complicated after we expended a lot of energy in the Champions League against Chelsea."

Michael Owen made a rare start for Real in attack alongside Javier Portillo, but the pair fed off scraps all night.

Zinedine Zidane was forced off with an injury after just 26 minutes, by which time Real were already two goals down.

They never hinted at making inroads into Depor's advantage, despite the best efforts of David Beckham.

"The league isn't lost yet," the England captain insisted despite seeing Barca double their points advantage at the top in the course of the last two matches.

"We can still turn this around. We've still got a few options of catching up Barcelona."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts