Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 14:30

We face the managerless Fortuna who are still looking for their first win, despite showing some decent stuff going forward.

For us there are some surprises:

• Jorgensen is back all of a sudden
  • Kokcu's injury wasn't as bad as feared
  • Spajic will stay in Rotterdam after apparently coming into contact with Corona positive teammates while playing for Serbia. Krle to confirm on that :p
  • Haps, Malacia, Bijlow and Bozenik are definitely out.

So the team could look like this:

Marsman; Geertruida, Botteghin, Senesi, Johnston; Toornstra, Kokcu, Texieira; Berghuis, Jorgensen, Diemers

George Johnston looks set to make his first start. We also got quite an attacking midfield, although Diemers and Teixiera could also rotate.

I'd settle for any kind of win.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
One would hope that this could be an easy win. But, knowing Feyenoord's tendency to take their foot off the gas pedal against lower level clubs, we can't be sure.

Too bad about Spajic. Just watched VfB Stuttgart draw with Hoffenheim 3-3, and it is apparent that many European squads have players missing due to Covid or quarantine due to being exposed to someone with Covid. But at least they are playing matches which allows us to watch on the telly.

It is going to be long winter here in the Grain Belt. Governor has shut down ice hockey which is usually the go-to sport starting at the end of November. And the ECAC conference won't play ice hockey this winter so ESPN+ is going to be sparse in that department.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Actual starting lineup:

Marsman
Nieuwkoop, Botteghin, Senesi, Geertruida
Toornstra
Diemers, Kokcu
Berghuis, Jorgensen, Linssen

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
12' Kokcu sent off with red card. He accidentally stepped on a Fortuna foot with his studs. It really was accidental. Thanks, Dennis Zigler!!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Great...red card for Kökcu. Really didn't look intentional, nor that reckless either. They don't use VAR for these?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Berghuis has been really poor. I get that he's frustrated with the early goal and the red card, but his decision-making is just facepalm, facepalm, facepalm.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
34' Senesi picks up the ball from a poor Fortuna clearance and rockets it into the upper right corner, 1-1.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
One of their defenders shoulder-tackles Linssen into the ground, Berghuis converts the penalty. The commentator thought it was a soft penalty but looked very clear to me.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
90+1' Berghuis tackled in box on endline, PK. He scores it, 1-3.

Wehrmann on for Toornstra.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
That was surprisingly comfortable. I tuned in just after the Fortuna goal so don't really know what happened there, but they didn't look very dangerous all game. Didn't think we were particularly brilliant either but did what we had to. Good job from Berghuis in the second penalty. Linssen looked more comfortable on the left, and I thought Diemers generally looked alright. He makes good decisions and is calm on the ball. That type of a midfielder is an endangered species nowadays; hope he keeps developing (though he is 27 already).

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Well, the second half wasn't pretty. Feyenoord parked the bus and tried to catch Fortuna on the break. In the end, Fortuna had greater possession and almost as many shots, but the 10-man Feyenoord defensive stance was effective and the three points secured.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
That was surprisingly comfortable. I tuned in just after the Fortuna goal so don't really know what happened there, but they didn't look very dangerous all game.
Well, the goal was at 0:40 so you didn't miss much. Basically, Fortuna moved the ball through the middle quickly after kickoff and Flemming was released on the right with Senesi playing back away from him. Flemming ran in and slotted the ball into the far left side of the goal easily beating Marsman.

I agree that Diemers looked comfortable on the ball most of the match. And Toornstra is getting better at the defensive midfield spot also. Linssen is a better left winger than central attacker, and Jorgensen had a better match than usual. Still, without the Senesi wonder goal (second wonder goal of season), this is another draw against a bottom side.

·
Registered
59,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good win to get after that horrible start. We kind of controlled the game when the initial panic has passed in the opening 15-20 minutes or so. Yes, it was against the last placed side, but there have been enough occasions in the past when we would have just collapsed, done nothing and then would have in vain played the long ball in the last 10 minutes.

New injury though! Jens is said to be a doubt for Thursday's game against CSKA Moscow. We'll know more in the next day or two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts