Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huge game. A win can put us even with Fiorentina. A draw keeps us involved for a little while longer, but does neither team any favours if Genoa win. A loss and CL is definitely gone, but I thought it already was before the weekend so I would not be disappointed in this regard.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Vucinic and back to 4321 we played in the middle of the season and we might stand a chance. Another 4231 with Baptista on the left and Perrotta with Brighi running from behind helplessly trying finish off Totti's through balls then we'll crash and burn like we've done so far since we got back to this ugly formation.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wehavent had many other options with Taddei and Menez also sucking though. We really need Vucinic back.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
We have Motta on the right who does as fullback much more than what Taddei or Menez would do as wingers. The thing is all his effort is useless since he is not connecting with anyone in the box (except the odd times like Brighi goal).

There is a reason you don't see many wingers around these days and more fullbacks. Modern tactics is all about effort/product which is way more with an attacking fullback than pure winger.

As long your midfield provide cover for your attacking fullback then really there is no need to waste a player isolted on the wing the whole game.

Play Motta on the right, Tonetto on the left and let them run highways up and down the wings. Perrotta and Brighi one on each side in the midifeld to provide cover for them. There is no reason this can't work. Sometime you just have to go back to basic and simple when things are tough. Too bad Spalletti doesn't get staetdfied unless the players pass the ball 287 times between them before they create a chance.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
They don't have Mutu and Melo, you have Totti ...
They still have Frey. They win. :)

I'm kidding, it's an open game, Roma are favourites.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Let's just hope we can take advantage on Saturday of the way La Viola are looking like a punch-drunk boxer, to coin an old phrase...and yes, we certainly need Vuci back playing and hungry! I think he is still only on physiotherapy, not yet training?

Let's be honest, Genoa still look like taking 4'th though no-one expected them to slip up as they did against i Laziali! Am I being over optimistic in suggesting that next season in the Uefa Cup, given our Capitan' Francesco's statement that we will not be letting Doni, Mexes, Aquilani etc, go in the summer and that we will add a player or two to boost the squad, we could actually do fairly well provided il mister doesn't sacrifice it on the altar of other things?

Injuries and suspensions permitting also...:rollani:

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Quite possibly, but I thought that before and the Uefa Cup always went worse than the CL campaigns.

Even if Genoa do finish 4th - although I doubt they will - it is important to secure a Europa League place and, if possible, do that by finishing 5th. A 6th place finish requires Roma to play 2 qualifying rounds for the Europ League start on 30 July, which would give our internationalists - De Rossi, Aquilani, Brighi, Perrotta, Doni, Juan, Baptista and Motta - almost no summer break.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like Milan, at our best we can win the UEFA Cup, but the problems are that normally something will stand in the way as we fight for position in the league.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
And... I wouldn't be surprised if Totti scores, but Riise scores an own goal.

Apart from the mentality, and the overall low morale which plays a huge role in football. It plays a huge role in everyone who plays football at their city league, and what not... imagine Serie A, but we also lack depth in the team, we just are not good. It is really not a bad thign to admit, we just got to buy better players.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, our squad on paper is ok, but it is nothing special and I think people have to start realising this. Very few players of our team would get into any of the top 3 teams at the moment and even they are not in great shape. Of course we have some very good first team players, but who are also injury prone, and the rest of the squad is average. Until players like Taddei and Perrotta move on, we get another good reserve CB, a good goalkeeper, a proper number 9, no more signings like Baptista and Menez at huge amounts of money, we maybe will start to get on a better level. Baptista nor Menez are not bad players, they are good in fact, but we panicked and at this moment of time seemed to waste alot of money on them.

For me above everything else there are 2 very important positions in football... the GK and the number 9. If you have both of these at the highest level, then the rest of the team can work on it. It was a very good idea to start with, to have Totti as number 9 aswell as being the creator in attack and for a season it worked very well considering the resources we had, but it has gone too long without finally signing a proper number 9 to play in the attack.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Good post and I agree with most of it, except that we need to re-do our flanks in defense. We just don't have good left or right full backs.

Cicinho is crap, Panucci is old and he is crap, Riise is crap and Tonetto is very average and too old. Who else? Antunes was not bad, and we can get him back. I would go on Pasqual TBH.

We need a better defense and yes goalie, but we just let too many counter actions get through. We need a more balanced team too. We have all these players that can adapt to very few tactics, since Spalla only plays few tactics and of course they buy accordingly.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I agree we could do with at least a new LB. I think Motta and Cicinho should be kept for RB and then we keep Tonetto for reserve and get a good new LB. I dont mind Riise, but we can get good money for him from an EPL club so he can go along with Cassetti.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I did not mention Motta and Cassetti because Motta is class, and Cassetti hasn't had a season this year, so I won't judge him.
But we need to work on our defense IMO more than we think.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well unless Andreolli has played well in Seire B (someone else can say more) we probably need 2 reserve CBs next year, unless Andreolli is 4th choice and we definitely need 1 very good one, assuming Mexes does not leave. I like the Cagliari pair, Canini and Pisano by the way, both can be good options, one as CB and the other as FB for the defence next year and they are also still young and can improve.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Yep.

Canini is a good player, much better than Diamoutene, that is for sure.
Juan, I don't know... he started as a great player, but lately... he just isn't the same. Thing is, even our top player wear out after too many games, I mean they are only humans I know, but Mexes... he was a monster 3 years ago was it... and now he looks average at times. We have no players to rotate our top players with, and at least feel somewhat safe. I love Santacroce, the guy is a beast.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Santacroce will be too expensive for us, especially if he is not a garaunteed starter. These are probably the type of guys we need, but then if we compete against the big 3 plus the rest of Europe we dont have much chance. We need to be smart in the market, something the management isnt.

·
Registered
197 Posts
it is important to secure a Europa League place and, if possible, do that by finishing 5th. A 6th place finish requires Roma to play 2 qualifying rounds - almost no summer break.
Yes, that makes common sense. Let's just hope we can keep our injuries down and win enough of our remaining games...historically we don't win many in Firenze but a draw doesn't look beyond us! Damn, it looks at the moment that Doni might not make Saturday though. Artur again...:rollani:

our squad on paper is ok, but it is nothing special and I think people have to start realising this. Very few players of our team would get into any of the top 3 teams at the moment
We are indeed lucky we have some real talent which didn't cost us a fortune to acquire and unless our cash flow dramatically improves for the coming mercato then we depend upon getting Juan, Cassetti, Aquilani (of whom I still have hope) etc. back to their best which will be the new season. As for justifying the price of others and who I'd let go...under the circs I'd keep Baptista who with all his faults can still score some goals. Menez I'd sell and hope to replace him wisely which brings me to ask, like it or not, how much of the blame for poor buys must our legendary lupo Bruno also take responsibility for in his time as part of the Pradè-Conti double act?

there are 2 very important positions in football...the GK and the number 9. If you have both of these at the highest level, then the rest of the team can work on it.
Firstly I hope all this stuff we've seen in the Romanista, Messaggero etc. isn't just pre mercato bullsh*t and that Marco Amelia really can be brought to Trigoria! As for needing a hot shot target man up front, in me you preach to the converted! Yes, il mister indeed got lucky by devising a 4-2-3-1 which worked for the most part because the opposition didn't know just where to try to stop us and also, most importantly, we had what that system needed, the speed of fully fit players to impliment it! What hasn't helped us since we lost the surprise element and fitness level, particularly this season, has been Spalletti's insistence on trying to adapt his 4-2-3-1 to fit a squad geared up for modern calcio which has moved away from wingers, depending more on wing backs which is why presumably Giuly and Mancini weren't replaced.

Our present 4-3-1-2 still places too much pressure on our defence simply because in truth it's a hybrid of both formations, not truly one or t'other! None of us needs reminding of the fact we have the 5'th worst goals against record and I hope what summer buying we are able to do reflects our being able to play a system whereby we can tighten up at the back yet still kick our opponents in the teeth!

Incidentally, one final observation. Do our guys take some sort of mental block when they go two goals ahead? It's like, all done and dusted and the story's over? It's all very well for il mister to first say some time ago that he needs to address this psychological problem...and to now recently admit neither he nor the players can explain why they seemingly can't deal with it?

It's not acceptable and we expect better, Signor Luciano...:frustrat:

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Vucinic is officially out. The slightest hope is gone. We are going again to see one of the slowest teams ever played in Calcio playing a formation that might only work when you have the fastest players on the field.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't be so down, buddy...

OK so it's stacked against us, we rarely win in Firenze and we know we have to score at least as many as la viola do just to avoid being beaten because with Doni not making it (at least as I type) we have a dummy keeping goal for us...and he's not going to keep them out!

With luck those thoughts won't have been missed by Totti and Baptista. Our Capitan' mightn't have so much pace these days and il bestione may have a touch like an elephant at times but one good assist by Totti and a thunderbolt by Baptista could get us a 1-1.

I'm hoping...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts