Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that the tension and the suspence of the last week or so and finally the joy of being saved, will in some way help the team be a little more clinical in finishing teams off and getting saved from relegation by getting 40 points. I say this coz I think we have this problem of playing to the level of our opponents, we can hold Inter and beat riomma and yet lose to Siena and Messina. I donno whether Di Canio will be back against Livorno, but be sure that he is raring to go, if unleashed. I hope Cesar will play from the first. We have to take command of this match and set the pace, hopefully some 40 thousand people will help the team do that. I see that no one of us is banned for this match, so I hope Papa has the knowledge to make the best starting line-up.

Livorno are a very dangerous team. They have one of our ex in Protti(!) and have a fantastic team spirit and belief. They are above us in the table and have already beaten us this season. However, their regular goalie is out, as are two key defenders. So we may just have a chance if we score first. We must not let them get a lead. I think if we finish anywhere above the relegation zone and beat roma in the Derby again, we’d an OK season for now. I also hope the visiting ‘fans’ don’t cause trouble.

FORZA LAZIO!!!!

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
If we underestimate the opponent yet again I swear I will get mad. We need to find some consistency in our game, not playing well once or twice a month. I hope the tifosi will concentrate on supporting the team rather than clashing with the Livorno fans and that this will be the boost our players need right now. Victory is crucial because our schedule is horrific until the end of the season. Cesar and Liverani need to start and we should attack right from the start.

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
It will be a relief to finally get back to the football after all the off-field distractions this past fortnight. Along with the absent Livorno players mentioned by gogol, their leading scorer & most potent goal threat Lucarelli is also out through suspension this round, obviously a definite plus. I'd like to see Cesar start as well, but have a feeling Papa will go with Zauri at LB along with the Filippinis, but hopefully Liverani for sure to start -- his creativity will be crucial for us in these last rounds.

With the elections & everything else it should be an eventful weekend in Rome, hopefully capped by a Lazio victory!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t really think that our future list from now on is terrible. I mean, look at our recent history and even this season, we have given the so-called big teams a good run for their money (taking the lead in Turin, holding Milan until the 94’, holding Inter everytime) and so I’m not concerned. Its teams like Reggina and Brescia and Siena that I’m scared of coz they could get more determined than us on the day, which puzzles me. I’m actually looking forward to the next derby, where, hopefully, we’ll be safe before and play the game with a free mind. I’d like to beat those animals again.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
It seems the match has be called off (all sports matches actually), I guess it has to do with the condition of the Pope. It's said that he match will be rescheduled for April 20.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
That's too bad, I was realy eager to see the outcome of the game. But if the players don't fell like playing maybe it is for the better.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
god so many people in rome now.......

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Lazio 3-1 Livorno

Excellent result! Papa experiments with the tridente as Muzzi is preferred to Bazzani up front & Liverani in the hole, along with Cesar starting in place of Antonio Filippini :) An immediate impact from Muzzi with an opportunistic goal, Cesar converts a penalty & Emiliano Filippini setting up Rocchi beautifully in secondo tempo to wrap it up. Quite a dominating performance from the lads & also good to see Peruzzi back to his solid form.

More importantly perhaps, other results go our way with Messina & Reggina losing. We jump three places in the table to sit on 37 with Lecce, only a win away from the elusive 40 points & assumed safety.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Very important win and I heard Cesar was back to his best today.
FORZA LAZIO!

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
A good win, but very disturbing images from Olimpico...three points is too good for our Curva. "Roma é fascista", "Boia chi molla" and all that...fvck off you bunch of sad bastards. And what is the police doing? They're supposed to frisk everybody and check every banner. I can understand one or two things getting past them, but this much? One can only conclude that they want this stuff on the stands...which is really unsettling.

Sad day for Lazio...we can expect a lengthy stadium ban. With just three home dates left, this was probably our last home match this season...

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
That's disgusting, politics should stay outside the stadiums especially such extreme right-wing banners...:( I cannot think of such people as Lazio fans, they should stop and think for a minute how much trouble their idiotic actions will bring to the club. And the police's lack of action is almost as stupid as these banners. :(

·
38,110 Posts
Great result and an important 3 points to take us into mid table. :happy:

But sadly our victory has been put in the shadow of the ultras behaviour. :(

The club should come down on this much harder than they have been doing, as it obviously hasn't had much effect.

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Lotito replys to fascist banners

Typically biased article, but thought Lotito's response would be of interest. Not trying to defend i bandiere to any extent, but the concluding comments (follow the link, I did not paste them in here) I take some exception to in fairness, considering what's been going on in Europe this season.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...84262_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-SOCCER-LAZIO-LOTITO.XML

ROME, April 10 (Reuters) - The president of Italian Serie A club Lazio says his club can not be held responsible for fans who displayed fascist banners during a match at Rome's Olympic Stadium on Sunday.

A section of the north stand -- home of Lazio's hard-core "ultra" supporters -- held up a banner reading "Fascist Rome" and chanted right-wing slogans during their team's 3-1 win over Serie A rivals Livorno.

"Sport must not take up political positions. As a club we bear no responsibility," Claudio Lotito told Italian television programme Stadio Sprint on Sunday.

"With the minute's silence (before the match) in memory of the Pope the club demonstrated it does not have a political position, but rather has tried to instil morals and the rediscovery of authentic and spiritual values.

"The responsibility (for the chants) is ours only if we do nothing to stop them. We can't put a police officer on every fan."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everything would be a lot easier for Lazio and Lotito if they actually took responsibility and action against what goes on in Curva Nord. It is unwise of Lotito to just wash his hands. Hand out bans, confiscate the abusive banners.

It can be done, but requires action.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Agreed...

Of course, the action of these ultras do not respresent the club, or even the fans. Nobody should suggest this.

But Lotito's comments are not exactly correct - because there is some sort of relationship between the club and the ultras. First of all, the club gives reduced price ticket allocations to ultras clubs to distribute, right?

Second, the irriducibili have a liason who has semi-official status with the club, right?

In other words, it is *possible* for the club to crack down on ultras behavior - by not giving their leaders any access to the club's facilities, and by not giving them tickets to distribute. Witness what Juve did to the "Fighters" after the Parma pitch invasion.

Of course, the Lazio Irriducibile are probably *a lot* stronger than the Fighters, and they could really, really mess things up for the club, and that's why the club won't take any action.

But still, they shouldn't just say we can't do anything so "we bear no responsibility". That's wrong.

·
38,110 Posts
Lotito is right to a certain extend. The club itself isn't responsible for the behaviour of the fans, the fans themselves are, but the club can certainly do more to prevent this sort of thing. It already has done some, but if it can get out of hand as it did last weekend, it obviously hasn't been enough. And that is were the club is responsible. Not for the actualy behaviour itself, but for making it as difficult as possible for the fans to act out like that. They can never prevent it 100%, but an incident of this scale certainly could have been prevented. Already for weeks before the match there was talk of a clash between the ultra-left Livorno ultras and those of Lazio who come from the opposite political spectrum, so they could have read this with their eyes closed. And that's where the club could and should have acted. And not just against the Irriducibili, but just as much against the Livorno ultras who are equally to blame.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
one can not see the incindent or a team in the vacuum. What is happening on the stadiums in Italy can not be solved by fining Lazio or Roma or Livorno or Napoli.

People that cause all these problems are not fans of football, are not even fans of teams they are supposed to support. These PPL have their own agendas and stadiums are their PR vehicle. They get all the attention they want, all the media, cameras & headline seeking journalists.

Clubs are not responsible for the behaviour of the fans on the stands even if those fans are wearing the team colours. Fining and punishing the club will make real fan think twice about his actions....which is something these guys dont give rats ass about.

Only way to deal with is is a probably through national project of clamping down on these groups accompanied with education campaign and increased hi-tech security on the grounds. It has to be grand scale project, because dealing with one group doesnt solve anything. Punishing one or few teams doesnt solve anything. It's transfering of responsability. Go for the ones that are actually doing these things, not the teams. But teams are easy targer, arent they? ;)

This would take a strong political will, but considering how fragmented Italian politics is and how many interests are involved....not likely that it will happen any time soon. :thmbdown:

Unless absolute disaster happens :nervous: :( Do we really want to wait for that?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It looks like stadium bans will be handed...for Lazio because of the fascist banners and flags, and for Livorno (and Messina) for fan violence.

This time I think we just have to accept the punishment. It doesn't matter that it was (as the leaders of IRR say) a reaction to the Livorno ultras being allowed to have communist symbols and chants. Nor does it matter that roma ultras had their own fascism showcase when Livorno visited them. This stuff just has to end, there's no excuse.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
This time I think we just have to accept the punishment. It doesn't matter that it was (as the leaders of IRR say) a reaction to the Livorno ultras being allowed to have communist symbols and chants. Nor does it matter that roma ultras had their own fascism showcase when Livorno visited them. This stuff just has to end, there's no excuse.

I agree, The IRR's excuse is stupid - two wrongs don't make it right after all, they could have shown some class and not responded to the provocations of the Livorno's ultras.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
...or do it in a tasteful way. There was this banner in the style of "Lucarelli, your salary isn't very proletarian". More of that kind of stuff.

It seems that Di Canio said on a TV show that it's time to get politics out of the stadium. It's an important step...the Ultras listen to him, plus he definitely made it worse with the Roman salute in the derby. Mind you, it's about time he took a stand against this...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts