1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 27 - 8/3/08 (19.30 UK)
Palermo - Udinese

Stadio Barbera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palermo have no option but to win as they welcome UEFA Cup contenders Udinese at the Stadio Renzo Barbera in Week 27. This clash will be fundamental for the Sicilians and the Friulani. However, there could be several regulars missing in both sides including Rosanero star man Amauri.

In last Sunday’s round Palermo were held 0-0 by Reggina. “This was a positive game for us, because we needed a good away result,” said Coach Francesco Guidolin. “We want to reach 40 points as soon as possible, which will allow us to finish the season well.” The Sicilians lie in ninth position with 35 points, four behind Udinese.

Meanwhile, Udinese bagged a comfortable 2-0 win against Atalanta and seemed in good shape. The Bianconeri are in sixth place, holding the last European spot available. “We did well against Atalanta last weekend and I think we have improved a lot recently,” noted boss Pasquale Marino.

Last year’s corresponding tie ended in favour of the locals, but the visitors will do their best to avoid a defeat in Sicily which would boost their rivals’ morale. There will be three players suspended for this tie – Federico Balzaretti (Palermo), Andrea Dossena and Tomas Zapotocny (Udinese).

Palermo boss Guidolin is concerned about the condition of Brazilian ace Amauri. The striker picked up a muscular injury against Reggina and is in a fight against time to recover. Goalkeeper Alberto Fontana is not 100 per cent fit, but will retain his place between the posts.

Guidolin could reconfirm last week’s 3-5-2 formation. Cristian Zaccardo may move to the right flank, with Fabrizio Biava covering for him in defence. Fabio Simplicio and Mark Bresciano are in competition for a shirt, with the Brazilian slightly advantaged. Up front it looks like Edison Cavani alongside Fabrizio Miccoli.

Udinese Coach Marino will be forced to make some changes to his favourite formation, although the Sicily born tactician will maintain the attacking approach which has seen them net 33 goals so far this season.

Colombian ace Cristian Zapata is out, so Dias Felipe should play centre-back. Chilean winger Mauricio Isla will replace Dossena on the left flank. The visitors’ trident will be formed by Simone Pepe, Fabio Quagliarella and Totò Di Natale.

Keep an eye on: Fabrizio Miccoli (Palermo) – The former Juventus and Benfica player will be looking to inspire his side’s attacking moves

Last season: Palermo 2-0 Udinese

Form guide: Palermo (L W L W D) Udinese (L W L L W)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Palermo (probable): Fontana; Rinaudo, Barzagli, Biava; Zaccardo, Migliaccio, Guana, Simplicio, Cassani; Miccoli, Cavani

Udinese (probable): Handanovic; Coda, Felipe, Lukovic; Ferronetti, D’Agostino, Inler, Isla; Pepe, Quagliarella, Di Natale

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think it will be a really hard game, a draw would be a good result. We won there in the Coppa Italia 2 months ago with an under strength side though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
the game would be easier if zapata and lukovic WERE PLAYING!!!
when is christian gonna get better!!??!! and now lukovic??!!! wow, our two best defenders out. well zapata for sure will not be there and they are paying close attention to lukovic but it does not look good for saturday. AND I FORGOT DOSSENA IS OUT DUE TO YELLOW CARD ACCUMULATION! wow guys this game is going to be VERY tough. isla is filling dossena's shoes and coda:yuck: is starting in defense. please god, just get us three points but i will be happy with the tie.

UDINESE ALE!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Full time: 1-1

I only saw the first half because my internet broke :rolleyes:, but Udinese didnt look very good, it was a very bad goal to lose...but there was obviously a big improvement in the second half and a draw away at Palermo is a good result :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts