Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
La Roma come off a lucky win at Brescia to face a struggling and hurt Parma at the Olimpico on Sunday. Our vital victory vs. Brescia gave us a much-needed boost in the table and puts us in a position to start dreaming again of that elusive 4th place CL spot. A win vs. Parma would put us at 23 points. Parma is in the relegation zone at 12 points, but they could be a dangerous club now that they are down and injured and have fired their awful coach. What I'm saying is that I don't have the load of confidence that I perhaps should for this encounter.
The match must be won in the midfield, where Parma suck most. Their defense is quite shaky, too, and the Parma forum largely blame our Bovo for the mess. No one knows what Parma will play, or even who their new coach will be, but here's a tentative lineup; as you can see they have a very good attack:
17 Frey
26 Ferronetti
5 Bonera
4 Bovo
14 Contini
30 Simplicio
6 Bolano
20 Rosina
23 Bresciano
9 Maccarone
11 Gilardino

A disposizione
1 Berti
77 Potenza
28 Cannavaro
18 Ruopolo
10 Morfeo
8 Budel
19 Pisanu

Indisponibili
Marchionni, Zicu e Savi

Totti returns, which is huge for us. A Totti-less Roma is like eating cookies without sugar. I hope he decides to remain with Roma. I also hope Del Neri just chills out and sticks with the module that has helped us back into contention. We (he) got lucky yesterday, mainly because we got that PK, but his subbing Montella & Cassano for Corvia & Mido was highly questionable. Man, let the 3-4-3 ride. It provides the extra support we need in the midf, actually helps the defenders by taking pressure off them, has made Ferrari more comfortable, gives us more than the punt and kick. :thmbup:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
parma are coach-less, but the maccarone - gilardino partnership in attack is dangerous with bresciano supporting them

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I somehow think this is going to be a tough match for Roma and I think the resluts could be anything from a blowout win for us to a narrow win by Parma. I don't think we should be overconfident also I think that Cardone might be playing instead of Bovo or that Bonera and Potenza play in the middle with Ferronetti on the right with Contini on the left. Also if Morfeo plays well he can cut Roma into bits.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Having just dismissed their coach,a team can sometimes react positively.Its as if the players have a point to prove.Obviously,I hope this does not happen with Parma,at least against us on Sunday.I am sure that Il Capitano will be desperate to beat Pruzzo's all time record and in front of his fans in the Olimpico.His desire might spur us onto victory.

P.S.I like Parma and hope they go onto have a good season. :thmbup:

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Having just dismissed their coach,a team can sometimes react positively.Its as if the players have a point to prove.Obviously,I hope this does not happen with Parma,at least against us on Sunday.I am sure that Il Capitano will be desperate to beat Pruzzo's all time record and in front of his fans in the Olimpico.His desire might spur us onto victory.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I dont understand, Parma have a nice team and sit in 18th, I hope they escape soon but not next match. Our defence is getting better, I predict 2-0 for us.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Having dismissed their manager,Baldini,Parma will want to prove a point.Their players will be hurting like wounded soldiers,all desperate to restore their pride.A club can suddenly spring to victory after sacking their manager.And ROMA must be aware of facing a hungry and motivated set of players.To our advantage,we should have Il Capitano back and with him wishing to surpass Pruzzo's record of all time highest scorer for ROMA,he can give us the inspiration to lead the team to victory.He will want to do this at home in front of his beloved Curva Sud and I am sure his desire to accompish this on Sunday can give us all the points.I reckon Il Capitano will score 2 on Sunday.

P.S.My sentiments exactly,Deano.I wish Parma all the best after Sunday.They deserve to be higher up the league.If it were not for EPO,they would have surely won a scudetto in the late 90s.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
P.S.My sentiments exactly,Deano.I wish Parma all the best after Sunday.They deserve to be higher up the league.If it were not for EPO,they would have surely won a scudetto in the late 90s.
Funny you should say that as a hell of a lot more Parma players have had values far exceeding the allowed limit of red blood cells than Juve players, suggesting the use of EPO.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Perrotta has been ruled out through injury, but the great news is that Dacourt is finally back in full training:)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Zangari_Italia said:
When was this?
At the same era as Juve.It should be noted that it could also be due to high altitude training which the Parma players undertook :) while after the raid at the lab of Juve,this seems highly unlikely as so many banned substances were found that could account for this abnormal level of red blood cells.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Perrotta to miss Parma test Tuesday 14 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simone Perrotta has added to Roma’s injury woes with a thigh strain, while Fiorentina lose Cristiano Lupatelli for a month.

The Giallorossi midfielder limped off during the early stages of Sunday’s 1-0 win at Brescia and has now been diagnosed with a right thigh strain.

Medical staff have ruled him out of this week’s clash with Parma at the Stadio Olimpico, but are hopeful the Italian international will be back to full fitness in time for the Rome derby on January 6.

Olivier Dacourt is also set to make his comeback in that all-important tie, as he began full training today for the first time since suffering his muscular problem.

Fiorentina also had some bad injury news today, as goalkeeper Cristiano Lupatelli will be out of action for at least a month.

The former Roma man did not come out for the second half of their 6-0 drubbing at the San Siro on Sunday due to a recurring knee problem.

Lupatelli underwent exploratory surgery on the meniscus ligament and is not expected back on the playing field until mid-January, though he could return in time for the big game with Roma in Week 20.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Week 16 - 19/12/04 (15.00)
Roma - Parma

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma will fancy their chances of netting their third win in four games as they entertain crisis hit Parma. The Giallorossi, who themselves have had a difficult campaign to date, will be eager for victory as they look to play themselves into contention for a top-four finish. Despite having their worst start to the season for 26 years, Roma are remarkably just two points adrift of fourth placed Cagliari and just one behind unbeaten Inter.

The capital giants go into this game with a win after a late Mancini penalty secured a 1-0 victory at Brescia last week. Antonio Cassano returned to the side after injury and did shine which bodes well. The home team will be further boosted by the return from suspension of Francesco Totti. He’ll be looking for a goal to make him the all-time Serie A top scorer in the club’s history. Boss Gigi Del Neri is likely to stick with his 3-4-3 formation, even if he’ll probably still be without the likes of Tommasi, Chivu, Perotta, Pelizzoli, Dacourt, Candela and Dellas.

Parma are now second from bottom after collecting just 12 points from 15 games. The 2-0 loss to Livorno last weekend saw boss Silvio Baldini axed. It’s unclear what sort of team, with regards to personnel and formation, will now turn up at the Stadio Olimpico following the appointment of Gedeone Carmignani. Marchionni, Zicu, Grella and Savi are all injury doubts.

Roma (probable): Zotti; Panucci, Mexes, Ferrari; Mancini, De Rossi, Aquilani, Cufrè; Montella, Totti, Cassano

Parma (probable): Frey; Ferronetti, Bonera, Bovo, Contini; Rosina, Simplicio, Bolano, Bresciano; Morfeo; Gilardino

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
ROMA 10 said:
At the same era as Juve.It should be noted that it could also be due to high altitude training which the Parma players undertook :) while after the raid at the lab of Juve,this seems highly unlikely as so many banned substances were found that could account for this abnormal level of red blood cells.
Didn't Zola say that Parma was clean? For some reason I am inclined to believe in Zola but I'll just say I am ignorant and listen to the people who know a little bit more than me. Of course this is a Roma-Parma match thread.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but loath for Juventus and "lo stile Juventus" that they like pounding their own chest about. And I would love being able to say I think Parma deserved the scudetto that year because Juve used EPO, but I just don't believe in it myself. If it were Juventus who had more than 15 player with levels of red blood cells above what is allowed and used the aliby that they trained in high altitude, no one would believe in it and just laught at it, ridiculing them till the end of time.

Cannavaro's ruled out goal at Delle Alpi in the 32nd week and things like that are a whole different thing though, there they have an argument. But not because of EPO, not whatsoever.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cannavaro's ruled out goal at Delle Alpi in the 32nd week >>

That was highway robbery. I'll never forget that match...it opened my eyes to a lot. I used to really like Parma, too. Still have a soft spot for em, actually. ;)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Against Parma,do you feel that Il Capitano will score and break the all time ROMA record held by Pruzzo?And if so,how will it come about?

1.Penalty.
2.Freekick.
3.Lob.
4.Header.
5.Shot.

I was going to open up a poll on this,yet it does not seem to allow this to happen. :rollani:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts