Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday at 14:30 in Venlo. Standard time returns for us USAers so I need to sleep in an extra hour.

Well, who will Advocaat start?

Maybe:
Vermeer
Karsdorp, Botteghin, Senesi, Haps
Tapia, Fer
Toornstra
Berghuis, Jorgensen, Larsson

Will I watch this live, or wait for the result before deciding to watch it later in the day on rerun?

At best, I think we can maybe get a draw. But probably not. I think that VVV will sit back, block our passing channels, and hit us on the break. That seems to be the modus operandi.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh wait, does Venlo use artificial turf? If so, forget Jorgensen. Likely Berghuis, Sinisterra, Larsson start then across the front.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, my bad. It is Week 12, not 11. Wally, can you change the thread title since I cannot? Thanks.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Changed the week number Teak. lol if Jorgensen has another holiday with us playing on the astro turf against Lee Cattermole and co.

Quite a fun weekend coming up.

Rugby World Cup final for those following it.

Canelo - Kovalev in the early hours of Sunday and then our first match under Advocaat. We'll all probably settle for a horribly boring 0-1 win.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Jan-Arie goes straight back into the starting line-up :D

Vermeer

Karsdorp - Ie - Jan-Arie - Haps

Toornstra - Fer
Kokcu

Berghuis - Jorgensen - Sinisterra​

Captain Botteghin travelled with the squad, but is out injured.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there is a good striker in Rotterdam these days, but his name isn't Jorgensen. Ragnar Ache, a 21-year-old German, helped Sparta draw with PSV 2-2 yesterday, scoring one goal and assisting on the other. With only one point from the last three Eredivisie matches, I suspect there is disgruntlement in Eindhoven these days.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Yeah, Ache is alright. Big and strong. I was actually wondering why we didn't go for Mitroglou. Van Bommel hardly uses him, even though he has a proven goal scoring record in smaller leagues. Yes, Malen has broken onto the scene, but van Bommel even went for Bruma or Gakpo over him last night. Cheeky bid in the winter?

Bryan Smeets is actually Sparta's main surprise act. He's an old style number 10 like Barry van Galen or Ricky vd Bergh. Had a journeymanlike career, did well last season at TOP Oss, after not having the best of times at Cambuur, but hasn't had any difficulty in making the step up to the Eredivisie in Henk Fraser's formation. At 27, he might still be able to make that step up to say an Utrecht or Vitesse.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18' Toornstra slides a pass in to Jorgensen who slots it in, 0-1.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
33' A ball richochets off Jorgensen and sets up just right for Berghuis to hammer in from distance, 0-2.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
Leading 0-2 at the break :D

We're happy to let VVV have the ball and hit them on the break. Predictable you'd say with Jan-Arie at the back, but Stam had him and Botteghin move up forward in an attempt to dominate the opponent in their own half.

Our second goal came pretty much out of nowhere, but we'll settle for it.

Berghuis is our new captain btw. even if Botteghin returns to full fitness.

Now lets see how we play in the second half. Knowing Dick, he'll send on another CB :D but hopefully not. Ié btw looks suspect in the air, up against long ball Wright. Fast, but you can see why he has had a bit of a journeyman CV till now. We might also see Larsson come on later for Sinisterra who has been quiet so far.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Looks a whole lot better than it has all season. We haven't been brilliant, but at least we've been solid. There's a clear formation, and if you look at our midfield when VVV has the ball, everyone seems to more or less know where they're supposed to be. We play simple football, which is good. Was a bit surprised to see Botteghin dropped instead of vd Heijden, but Jan-Arie can be quite useful against smaller teams. Anyway. 0-2 up. Hope we'll keep this up.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Ié btw looks suspect in the air. Fast, but you can see why he has had a bit of a journeyman CV till now. We might also see Larsson come on later for Sinisterra who has been quiet so far.
Yeah this has been Ié's problem throughout, though he's not catastrophic. But that's why I thought Botteghin would be a more natural pairing with him, as he's quite strong in the air. Jan-Arie is about the same as Ié I reckon.

Agree about Sinisterra, but it's good we have options for these youngsters as they tend to be quite inconsistent.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Kum took a stupid second yellow (looked obvious to me, even if it is Kevin Blom we're talking about), we're one guy up. Sinisterra looks tired and there really hasn't been any end product -> switch on Larsson please.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
0-3, Berghuis scored from the spot near the end after a VVV defender blocked a cross from Narsingh with his arm. A scrappy game but a deserved victory too. We didn't look all that troubled defensively for the most part even when VVV was really trying to drive forward. There's room for improvement, but this was a good start under new management. And like I said, a clear improvement over Stam.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A win. A clean sheet. And Jorgensen finally scored a league goal. Talk about getting monkeys off the back ....

Sinisterra was disappointing in that in the final section of the pitch, he loses the plot line. He broke through behind the defensive line with the ball at one point and could have shot with his right foot, but instead went back in FRONT of the defenders again, to his left foot, and lost the ball. And then, on a 3-on-1 break, he crosses not to the two open teammates but to the sole VVV defender in between them.

Toornstra once again bringing energy to the midfield. I would like to see Fer, Tapia, and Toornstra start the next match.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still don't understand why Rotterdammers didn't want Advocaat to replace Gio in the first place.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I still don't understand why Rotterdammers didn't want Advocaat to replace Gio in the first place.
I don't have the answer to that, but most of the time football fans, especially hardcore ones, actually don't understand the game at all. So in that light it's not that surprising :D Probably they wanted someone like Dirk Kuyt take over with delusions about a rookie manager being a good choice by virtue of being a club talisman.

·
Registered
58,960 Posts
His sides play Feyenoord style football too. Hardworking and often not great to watch :D

Young Boys, whom we meet on Thursday, surprisingly lost 3-0 away to Servette Geneva today btw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts