Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Extremely tough match awaits us next Sunday afternoon against the side we haven't beaten since 05/06.

4 draws in the last 4 fixtures... :eekani:

Their attacking trio is one of the most dangerous in the peninsula, so a near-flawless game in defence is required.

Both sides have a thing in common and that's mid-week European games. Inter travel to Cyprus to take on Anorthosis on Tuesday while Udinese play in Moscow against Spartak on Thursday, which could prove to be an advantage (unless they rest their starters, which is a possibility, depends which match they give more importance..)

FORZA INTER - Bring home the points.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Nicely said N4L, an extremely tough fixture, Udinese are a great side no doubt about it, and their strikers are in great form.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I would guess Udinesse will put more weight on their european match. I don't think they are hoping for more than a point in this fixture.

We must win, I hope things move forward for us, a better performance will be ideal.

·
Registered
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankfully we'll have no midweek matches after this match, that way we can prepare well for the other tough match which will follow - a tricky trip to Palermo. We've been playing non stop for a while now haven't we?

Udinese-Genoa later today btw, let's hope for a sending off or two. :D Come on Di Natale, punch someone!

·
Registered
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Udinese one nil up already!

Damn, they sure are on form.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
it's always difficult to play udinese...they have always been a solid team...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A draw wouldnt be a bad result considering our form, Udinese's form and the fact we are playing away from home with half the squad in rehab.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yeah they're an amazing unit,even Udinese don't really have a team of star's ok we immediately refer to Udinese as the DiNatale-Quaglia show and then the other contributor's Pepe,Zapata,Floro Flores all give their fair share.Of course it will be a tough one but one thing for sure Inter won't lose this one,sorry to sound like I'm trying to bring bad luck on you but honestly at the Meazza Inter either 1-0 or 2-1 no doubt all the best.:thumbsup::smileani:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Udinese are having the highest Goals scored in the league.

Lazio 2nd and We are third.

Udinese Goals conceded are one more than us.

We are the Lowest in that category, that includes the 2 merde.

It should be a good game. Their defense and attack statistics are quite similar to us.

We Score Better at Away Games, which is a concern.

So its a tough match on numbers.

If JM can play 424 away to Regg... he should do it at HOME !!!!

·
Registered
16,218 Posts

I'm beyond thinking it's a formation issue

I think it's just the wrong mix of players

watching Napoli last night that struck me - their midfielders are so fast and mobile - they can play wide, they can play intricate stuff through the middle

same with ACM although they aren't as quick

our players literally look like statues in comparison

Vieira for all his improvement this season still constantly gives the ball away and moves very slowly

Stankovic is a lost cause

and Muntari is technically disastrous

Jimenez could seriously be a solution - I think he's a great link-up player

but I think it's a case of holding out till January with the 4-3-3 and then trying to get hold of someone who can actually pass and contruct things in midfield

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
eh... I dont think there is any issue to resolve other than a 424 is doing OK in terms of Utilizing the current group of players.

There is a distinct difference in ball holding at the final third in comparison with other teams.

Mourinho does not play hold ball in the middle, observe left right center, before releasing a intelligent killer pass to the next best option available. The only ball holding guy permitted is Ibrahimovic. The last Man up there. The rest of the players are supposed to get into the ball into the area in lesser time. Even if jimeGol plays, and likely to be as a Winger or as a CM, the methods will not change.

·
Registered
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We lack a CM who can carry the ball and make things happen, Mourinho had Maniche at Porto (then a great player) and then Lamps afterwards. 433 with the middle trio near identical in characteristics (mostly defensive) isn't going to connect or help the trio upfront. Hamsik/Aquilani/Lucho - one of those three should be a priority signing for the summer (realistically their clubs won't sell in January, no way)

We'll have to hope that Zlatan and Maicon stay injury free (bench them every now and then please, Jose), and that Balo, Q and YM gain confidence and become more consistent contributers. Of course Cambiasso's 'calming presence' and effort is vital, too.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
eh... I dont think there is any issue to resolve other than a 424 is doing OK in terms of Utilizing the current group of players.

There is a distinct difference in ball holding at the final third in comparison with other teams.

Mourinho does not play hold ball in the middle, observe left right center, before releasing a intelligent killer pass to the next best option available. The only ball holding guy permitted is Ibrahimovic. The last Man up there. The rest of the players are supposed to get into the ball into the area in lesser time. Even if jimeGol plays, and likely to be as a Winger or as a CM, the methods will not change.
It's not tactical

well it might be to an extent

but the fact remains that their are 3 almost out-and-out defensive players in our midfield trio all the time

Stankovic has done almost no attacking whatsoever under Jose - and he doesn't have the fitness or form for it anyway

and N4L - waiting till the summer is too long - obviously those players you mentioned are totally unavailable till the end of the season..

but we need some sort of solution in January because at the moment there is zero fluency in our play

·
Registered
59,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I did recommend Appiah didn't I? :D

Then there's the a 4231 which Aldo Serena suggested. A system where you don't need 2 technical players to occupy the '2' defensive midfield roles.

Just pure ball winners.

If 442 is too adventurous and open while 433 is too sterile and doesn't fit the characteristics of our central mids, might as well try something else.

But yeah it's not just numbers in formations. We don't have world class players in midfield who can defend reasonably well, control the game and attack. Cambiasso is quality but not the 'full package' - he's mostly a 5.

Him, Sulley and Deco would have been some midfield. But the club did try to acquire Deco and Lamps..what can you do..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The way I look at it is:

4-2-4 against small teams - midfield control doesn't matter so just get the ball up as fast as possible
4-3-3 against big teams - midfield control matters more so you need an extra man in the midfield

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
The way I look at it is:

4-2-4 against small teams - midfield control doesn't matter so just get the ball up as fast as possible
4-3-3 against big teams - midfield control matters more so you need an extra man in the midfield
it looks nice on paper

and I thought it would work - but just look at the Reggina game ... which was a horrible mess

and let's be honest, it's just a 4-4-2 - the formation almost every team on the planet plaeyd throughout the 90s - Mourinho is not so wildly attacking that Mancini and Quaresma become "forwards" in that system

BUT

again, watch the Reggina game - there was something very, very wrong with our lack of possession in that game

and we conceded 2 goals

which I'm sure wouldn't have have happened with 3 centre mids

I think a new system needs to be tried - not that Jose is likely to change, but imagine :

JC

Maicon Cordoba Chivu Zanetti

Vieira Cambiasso Muntari

Mancini

Ibra

Adriano​

Ibra and Mancini could play deep and CENTRALLY - Maicon and Zanetti providing width

the problem with Mancini playing wide (and yeah I know he's, in theory, a winger) is that he can't cross to save his life - I think he's more suited to intricate central dribbling/passing type stuff

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think that was clearly a 4-2-4 rather than a 4-4-2, and even the graphical display at uk.eurosport.com said so. It's just that 4-4-2 is so common that you're not used to thinking in terms of 4-2-4. Event Ibra admitted that the formation is 442 when he said something like "I can play in either 424 or 433."

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
03/11/2008 17:51
Leonardi: Let’s Beat Inter!
Udinese general director Pietro Leonardi is targeting a win at San Siro this weekend as his side take on Inter in the eleventh matchday of Serie A with both teams equal on points in second place.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=946434

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Udinese are having the highest Goals scored in the league.

Lazio 2nd and We are third.

Udinese Goals conceded are one more than us.

We are the Lowest in that category, that includes the 2 merde.

It should be a good game. Their defense and attack statistics are quite similar to us.

We Score Better at Away Games, which is a concern.

So its a tough match on numbers.

There is also a heavy reliance on Quagliarella and Di Natale,althought they still have the other warrior's that give team's huge headche's week in week out.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts