Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday at 12:50 CST (USA) so nearly 20:00 in the Netherlands.

Expected lineup:
Bijlow
Geertruida, Botteghin, Senesi, Haps or ??
Fer, Toornstra
Kokcu
Berghuis, Jorgensen, Linssen

Was gone for 12 days Up North (Alaska) so was out of the news cycle. Is Haps fit, or does Malacia start? Or is Malacia still out, and Johnston starts?

Glad to see that they signed Teixeira. He should push Kokcu for that starting position. We seem to be set at midfield what with Diemers, Teixeira, and Burger waiting for minutes. Too bad Summerville had to be sold for small money. Hopefully Senesi doesn't get sold.

·
Registered
59,106 Posts
Alaska! wow, where abouts there?

Malacia is out till Christmas I think. Haps is fit and should start. Botteghin is suspended and will be replaced at CB by Geertruida. Bart Nieuwkoop slots in at RB.

Think we'll drop points and start with a draw.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The really cold part of Alaska: Fairbanks. Lived there for many years and have a son still living there.

Geertruida at center back? I wonder why Mr. Advocaat doesn't give Johnston a chance. Or Hendriks.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Fairbanks eh. That's far north then. I'd love to visit Alaska.

Anyway, doubt I'll be able to watch the game. I'm sort of in between apartments and I'm pretty sure my partner's not up for watching football tonight. Should be able to next weekend, fortunately. I think Geertruida might do alright next to Senesi; Senesi seems to be a bit of a commanding CB who e.g. made Botteghin look a lot better than he previously did. At least we have some options on the bench for midfield and attack. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Summerville's attitude tells me what we got from selling him is the most anyone will ever pay.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clocker, the Fairbanks area likely would remind you of Finland. A lot of Finns live up there also, just like in Minnesota.

I am still hoping that Feyenoord can swing a deal for Ie before the transfer window closes.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting lineup:
Bijlow
Nieuwkoop, Geertruida, Senesi, Haps
Fer, Diemers
Kokcu
Berghuis, Jorgensen, Linssen

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5' Diemers to Berghuis, who puts it into the left side, 0-1.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
0-1 at the half. Surprise surprise, PEC Zwolle went to real turf in their home stadium instead of artificial turf. Nice to see.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
68' Kokcu pulled down in the box, Berghuis scores on the PK, 0-2.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subs at 82'
Bozenik on for Jorgensen
Johnston on for Nieuwkoop

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And it ends 0-2. This was a rough match. PEC Zwolle were playing a swarming defense and were very physical, running over Feyenoord players. Bas Nijhuis let the rough play go with only 3 yellow cards.

Diemers looked very good in midfield, putting in through balls and holding onto possession well. Jorgensen was out-of-sorts at central attacker, which is what we have grown used to seeing, unfortunately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to see a win for the opening game. Looked pretty rough, but still enjoyable to watch after so many months away. Go Feyenoord!!!

·
Registered
59,106 Posts
Comfortable win from what I saw in the second half. Wasn't that great to watch but great to see we got off to a winning start. Expected less, but also didn't know that PEC had got rid of their astroturf.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Might have been a different result on astroturf, heh. Good result anyway. Just saw the highlights as predicted. Diemers looked good in them too. Good passes and vision. Let's hope he keeps up; would be a positive surprise for me.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Clocker, the Fairbanks area likely would remind you of Finland. A lot of Finns live up there also, just like in Minnesota.

I am still hoping that Feyenoord can swing a deal for Ie before the transfer window closes.
Meant to respond to this earlier. Didn't know that about Fairbanks. I've got some distant family in Minnesota, around Duluth. Should visit sometime. I've got some relatives in Thunder Bay as well that I've met too. A strange experience in many ways, but I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the Thunder Bay area, and there's a lot of Finnish influences there; some people even speak the language still!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meant to respond to this earlier. Didn't know that about Fairbanks. I've got some distant family in Minnesota, around Duluth. Should visit sometime. I've got some relatives in Thunder Bay as well that I've met too. A strange experience in many ways, but I enjoyed it a lot. I liked the Thunder Bay area, and there's a lot of Finnish influences there; some people even speak the language still!
One thing about Fairbanks is that some people follow the Finnish tradition of hot hubs and saunas in the winter. I myself have enjoyed soaking in a hot tub and then jumping into a snow bank. It shocks the system rightly, but feels good once you get back in the water. Kind of like pin pricks. Ice hockey is also very popular. Dog mushing, however, is Alaska's number one sport with two long-distance races (1,000 miles plus) each winter, and a bunch of shorter ones (50-300 miles).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts