Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the Chelsea game and the rest of the games I have seen, I have come to the conclusion we have several weak links.

In my opinion these are the weak links.

Xavi: He is just too weak and slows down the play. I was getting very irritated by the way he got the ball and waited ages before trying to pass. I rather have a more direct player in his place. I know he sometimes has a killer pass, but other players, more direct players, can do that too.

Gio/Left back position in general: Too slow, defensively bad, old players. I think we need a world class player there, someone proven but not too old.

Giuly, right winger position in general (to lesser extent Iniesta): Giuly and Iniesta are both not strong enough and often lose to the leftbacks of the opponent. Belletti does a much better job at going forward then the "wingers" even!

Right back position: Belletti is not bad or anything, but he just leaves too many gaps in the back. And the opponent takes advantage of that. With a better defense we could afford a defensively weaker right back, but with this defense we can't in my opinion.

Central defense/Oleguer: Oleguer is not bad, but he doesn't complement Puyol very well. He is sometimes too slow and makes nooby errors. Marquez is similar to Oleguer in my opinion, so he won't be the solution either next year in my opinion.

And ofcourse, the finishing abilities of our team is a problem, but thats a matter of luck too and Eto'o and Ronaldinho are both great players so replacing them is not much of an option. And not necessary too. If we get a stronger defense, we can achieve so much more. Look at Milan, great attack, even greater defense and they get the results they need. Sometimes they play too defensively for the eye, but they make beautiful plays too. In my opinion the solution would be something like this;

Code:
              Eto'o
[i]Leftwinger[/i]            [i]Rightwinger[/i]
           Ronaldinho

Deco     Edmilson

[i]Leftback Defender[/i] Puyol Belletti

Valdes
Or a more simple solution, Edmilson to partner Puyol and put Motta instead of Edmilson. But I'm afraid Motta lacks some experience and I haven't seen him play so I don't know if he is good enough :)

Your opinions? (please don't bash me for my opinion about Xavi, just express your opinion on the matter)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Oh man, please keep your head clean...

When we win a game we are the best team on earth and when we loose a game after a VERY Good performance everything is wrong?

give me a break...

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saviola7 said:

When we win a game we are the best team on earth and when we loose a game after a VERY Good performance everything is wrong?

give me a break...
I don't say we are bad, I just say we are defensively bad and these are in my OPINION the cause of it and the solutions.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Barcawinner said:
I don't say we are bad, I just say we are defensively bad and these are in my OPINION the cause of it and the solutions.
We were bad for one game, we have the best defence in la Liga and we concede 1 goal per game...

IS THIS BAD? NO IT ISNT!

I am with you that today that wasnt a good performance and we need another center back but dont forget that we missed a key player today - RAFA!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Xavi, Marquez, Weaknesses ? Just **** Off Mate.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I wish Barcawinner was in charge of Barcelona.

I'd love seeing these changes, too.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I know its a bad time to post this because we just got kicked out of the CL, but this is my opinion, you can't change my opinion. We don't have the best offense in La Liga, we just have the best tactic, keeping position not letting the opponent play. Thats why we don't get much goals against. With a good defense we would get even less goals against.

Did anyone else think Puyol didn't play as good as he normally does?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
I just think some of you are very harsh on a few players. Don't forget that it has been a long season and Rijkaard didn't have much options to rotate until just recently, so naturally, most of the guys can't be 110% each and every week.
I see absolutely no problem with the Giuly/Iniesta-position. Andres might not be really convincing at the moment, but his time will come, that's as sure as something can be.
Same with Xavi. Yes, other players (Deco,...) have to cover up for him a bit, but didn't that work almost perfectly for a really long time? Once Motta and Edmilson are back in the rotation, I don't see this as a big problem.
Gio is having a good season, but today was definitely an off-day against a great Joe Cole. Nevertheless, not really a weak link either, if you ask me.

As for Oleguer, I agree with something said in the game-thread (no idea which of the zillion pages), I'd rather see a calm leader next to our fighter Puyol. Think Danny Blind or even Rijkaard himself in the Ajax-system.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MxPx for reacting calmly :) hehe. I've seen a lot of times our defense was very slow, the attackers of other teams simply outrun our players. If we would have real wingers, then we wouldn't need the great offensive abilities of Belletti, Gio, Sylvinho. Then I'd rather go with more defensive/controlling minded backs.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
We need a new goalkeeper,left center back and a left back.

My suggestions for the positons would be Leo Franco or Sebastian Frey for the goalkeeper position,Chivu for the LCB and Dede for the left back position.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Valdes wasn't superb today, but I think we should keep him, I don't doubt that. He is only 22 and will get better and better.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
which goals should we blame valdes for, please. we gave up 3 STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID goals that even Numancia would have punished us on. it was very infantile. i dont think much is wrong with our midfielders, none of their goals game from breaking down our midfield/defense with build up play, they were stolen, lazy balls that hurt us on the counter. having said that, i think gio needs to be out. lets get cole from arsenal or the guy from athletic, whats his name, del nido, cant remember right now. really missed marquez, especially on terry's goal. i cant believe we gave up a headed goal on a ball that was that far away from net when headed. we should have settled this tie in the first leg when we had the chance, period. visca barca

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A. Cole would be superb.
[Is Del Horno defensively better then Gio/Sylvinho btw? If so, him or Cole would be an improvement]

Xavi took the speed out of our game too much in my opinion. Taking too much time to find someone to pass to.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
barcawinner, you are right, he did take the speed out of the game, but when you see a player like xavi do this it is obvious it has been instructed. up 3-2, what is the rush, the onus is on the other team to take the match, and until they managed to force a corner they hadnt done anything to threaten barca's advantage. i just thought that barca was doing a beautiful job of maintaining the lead in the second half. i might have brought on albertini for iniesta personally, but the match was completely under control. go back and tell me what, other than a couple of set plays chelsea did when they had to go and win the game. they were quite fortunate. barca was not bad, maybe not as sharp as they needed to be, and that is why they paid.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yeah I was saying that in the game i swear! That we have too many players that slow down the game; Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi, Eto'o, Iniesta. I noted that in the game.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Barcawinner said:
After seeing the Chelsea game and the rest of the games I have seen, I have come to the conclusion we have several weak links.

Right back position: Belletti is not bad or anything, but he just leaves too many gaps in the back. And the opponent takes advantage of that. With a better defense we could afford a defensively weaker right back, but with this defense we can't in my opinion.

too bad u hadnt seen the next leg :D:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Saviola7 said:

give me a break...
I totally agree!!! We have a superb team, even if we lost!!! We need 2 or 3 new players but we could have won today!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Falastini said:
Yeah I was saying that in the game i swear! That we have too many players that slow down the game; Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi, Eto'o, Iniesta. I noted that in the game.
I have to agree with this.
You guys were too slow while countering.
No matterr how I don't like Chelsea, their counter is extreamly efficient and quick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nr. 6 said:
I totally agree!!! We have a superb team, even if we lost!!! We need 2 or 3 new players but we could have won today!!!
What superb team :wallbang: You mean the front five who were attacking, noone will argue about that but what about the rest. I am going to repeat what I said in the match thread our deffence is pathetic. If you want to be really strong as a team you need good players in deffence too not just attack. Belleti for all his speed has incredibly poor shot and eye for a goal, never crosses well and is found wanting a lot of time in deffence giving opposition lot of space. For LB Gio and Sylvinho are not really great solutions, they are just average players. Oleguer, I am not even going to waste my time bashing him, he is simply not good enough for this club. :moan:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts