Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on guys......let's keep winning:) As long as we don't lose our games, I don't mind Arsenal winning the title as then I won't feel dissapointed at us throwing away the title.

Go Liverpool! :cool:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
I want to see us doing our job, but sadly, I can't see Arsenal losing points. I was watching them at midweek and that blind referee couldn't even tell that Kanoute's ball crossed the line and Cole's clearance was way after it, and never gave West Ham a perfectly legal goal, which would have probably changed the whole match. And no I am not saying they're lucky or cheaters, they've had a fantastic season - Just that if you are on the course for a title then you'll have luck in everything you do.....

So if even the refs are with them guess nothing can stop them. Still, I want us to win and do as good as we can.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have to admit that luck is with Arsenal. They only need 2 wins to clinch the title and I can't find any reason for them to lose the remaining games except the Man U one.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next game against Spurs will be a tough game for Liverpool. It is a do or die game for Liverpool, while Spurs have nothing to lose and they won't do any favor for Liverpool.

We all know Liverpool away performance has been better this season but Liverpool have not won at White Hart Lane since December '96 - 4 since Spurs have won the last 3 meetings here and there was only 1 draw in the last 6 meetings. So, it does worry me a lot. :(

Liverpool will have a few new records written if they win the game tomorrow:
1) seven successive wins away from home
2) A win for Liverpool will be their 13th away win of the season in the league. This would equal the club record set in the 1904-05 season.
3) If Liverpool take another point between now and the end of the season they will have achieved their highest ever points total in the Premier League. The previous best was 74 points in 1994-95 in a 42 game season.
4) Michael Owen will also make his 150th league appearance for Liverpool. (I think he has the potential to overtake Ian Callaghan first team appearance record if he stays at Liverpool for his whole life...)

So, I am looking forward to the game and what I want is 3 points. 3 points! 3 points! 3 points! 3 points! 3 points!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Premiership Preview: Tottenham V Liverpool
Tottenham Hotspur - Liverpool | News Archive

Can Owen keep Liverpool in the race? (Allsport)
04/26/2002. AT STAKE

Tottenham face Liverpool on Saturday in their final home match of a relatively mediocre season. The North Londoners are currently in eight place, but could move up one more place and above their London rivals West Ham if results go their way in the final two games of this campaign.

Some Spurs fans may have mixed feelings about this fixture as a win or draw would further enhance the title hopes of their bitter North London rivals Arsenal. The Gunners are four points clear of Liverpool with both teams having three matches still to play, but this could be cut to one if the Reds can win at White Hart Lane in the noon kick-off. With Gerard Houllier's team breathing down their neck Arsenal may feel the pressure against Bolton on Monday, so Liverpool must take all three points from their trip to Spurs.

TEAM FORM

Spurs' last six matches: WDWLDD

Tottenham, like so many of the mid-table teams, have been going through the motions in the final weeks of their season. However, I am certain Glenn Hoddle will want to give Tottenham's supporters something to be pleased about in their final home fixture. Against Bolton last Saturday Spurs took the lead only to draw 1-1 for the third time in five matches. Their only defeat in the last six matches came at Highbury in a narrow 2-1 defeat.

Liverpool's last six matches: WWWLWW

There is no doubt Liverpool are giving the Championship their best shot, as their 14 game unbeaten record in the league goes to show. Liverpool have also won all of their last seven Premiership matches and their last six away matches in the league. Perhaps the most phenomenal statistic of them all is that Liverpool have only conceded two goals in their last twelve league matches! The performances may not always have been pretty but Liverpool are getting the right results.

TEAM NEWS

Liverpool have an injury free squad for the trip to North London, so Houllier will be able to name his strongest possible XI. This could mean that Emile Heskey returns to partner Michael Owen at the expense of Nicolas Anelka, while John Arne Risse may move into midfield, allowing Abel Xavier to return to the side.

PLAYER TO WATCH

Tottenham: Darren Anderton - The signing of Liverpool's Jamie Redknapp is bound to be the first of a number of new signings at Spurs and Anderton could find his place in the starting line-up is under threat next season. Also, with England players constantly getting injured Dazza may yet have a shout of a World Cup place?

Liverpool: Michael Owen - The young strikers costly misses against Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League seem to have had a positive effect on him, as he has found the net three times in the following two matches to single handedly keep Liverpool in the title race.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI'S

Tottenham (5-3-2): Keller; Davies, Perry, Gardner, Thatcher, Etherington; Poyet, Sherwood, Anderton; Sheringham and Iversen.

Liverpool (4-4-2): Dudek; Xavier, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher; Murphy, Gerrard, Hamann, Riise; Owen, Heskey.

soccerage

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well as many have mentioned.. our season actually turned into a "every game is a must win" about a month ago.. especially with Arsenal not in the mood of dropping points at all!!.. The trip to Spurs is a very testing one.. although there was the suspicion that Spurs would field a weakened side to falter Arsenal's chances of a title.. but I can't see that happening.. what's even worse.. I won't be able to see the game live!! It's gonna be at 12PM in England which is about 2 PM in Saudi.. I'm gonna have it taped.. :)

Anyway.. back to the game.. who would we play??!!!! especially in attack... I'd say.. go for the Newcastle game plan.. 4-3-3 with Heskey as a sort of left winger.. my team would be

Dudek
Xavier-Henchoz-Hyypia-Riise
Gerrard-Hamann-Murphy
Anelka-Owen-Heskey

I know it seems a bit over the top.. but I think we should be (at this stage) going for all or bust.. but with Spurs relying on their midfield.. this formation wouldn't be a great idea..

Personally, I think Owen would want to attack ledley King!! As King has said again and again that he wants to rule Owen out of the game.. let Owen test that.. King is good.. but not that good.. and tends to slip up.. But I'm really hoping that Owen doesn't get that excited like in the Derby game.. where he was going for power and missing loads of chances..

If you ask me.. I'd say Murphy should be rested with Litmanen playing.. but.. well I think we know that won't be the case.. even if Murphy doesn't play.. it would be Smicer instead.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yasir said:

Dudek
Xavier-Henchoz-Hyypia-Riise
Gerrard-Hamann-Murphy
Anelka-Owen-Heskey

Thats my formation too....and Litmanen to come on at some stage if we can't find an opening....for Murphy of course

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
1-0 down :(

Gus Poyet scored in the 41st minute..

Dudek , Carragher , Henchoz , Xavier , Hyypia , Hamann , Smicer , Riise , Murphy , Heskey , Owen

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

well the game just ended 1-0 to Spurs... thus throwing nearly any realistic chance of winning the title...

I followed the game over the net (so you can imagine the agony I was going through with every time I hit the refresh button!!).. Gus Poyet scored the only goal.. Riise hit the woodwork with a header..

I think we should at least try to secure second place... :( I am totally demoralised!! :depress: I know we woke up a bit late.. but the run the lads were able to put befoe today was superb..

Anyway.. as for the championship.. thanks lads (each and every one of the team).. you tried your best (well maybe not the very best).. but we're proud of the team.. and hopefully next year will be a totally different story :)

YNWA...

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Ok
the season is as good as over.
:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Merd!

I think it was a big blow that Gerrard was out today.

Sure we've got plenty of top internetionals at the club, but I think Stevie G could have made a difference today and would have atleast have got us a draw through shear determination.

What disappointed me most about the performance was the inability of the LFC players to keep the ball, unlike Spurs who stroked it around really well. The main culprits were Carragher and Henchoz who chose to lump it forward at every opportunity. When Vignal is fit I think he will slot in at left-back with Babbel on the right. I do think we need to replace Henchoz though and bring in a bit of class; I'm not trying to knock the guy but the distribution from the back has to improve...

Anyway, c'mon you Tractor Boys!!! ManYoo sneeking it would just be too much too bear. Hopefully 2nd is still within our reach...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I had a sneaky feeling about this game. After all, we have not been playing well but we are winning. It was down to the opposition really, cos Derby, Sunderland are not in the same class as say Chelsea or Man U or Arsenal. And of course Tottemham, not as high-profiled and good as the title contenders, but good enough to cause us some problems or two. Though the start didn't seem that way... We had three good chances, one saved by Keller, one saved on the line by Tarrico and one hit the woodwork. Then it went down hill. Tottemham came back stronger, and the dreaded goal came when our backfour failed to clear a cross by Anderton and it fell kindly to Poyet, a former Chelsea man, helping the ball home to hand the title to Arsenal. Cruel irony.

Liverpool tried as hard as they did, but they never threatened Keller much. A couple of easy saves for the American to make, including a believe-it-or-not, left foot half volley from Carragher. We must be looking desperate. Anelka came on, Berger came on, which is a real surprise, cos his workrate these days is shockingly poor, and finally Litmanen came on, to no real effect. Dudek had to keep a good Perry effort out but it was a game of missed chances and frankly, our season ended with Peter Jones' last whistle, which was also his final game in EPL.

Kudos to the lads. Gave a standing ovation to them, clapped them off the field. We are good, but not good enough. Liverpool gave hope to all of us but in the end, the consistency of Arsenal proved unbreakable. Who knows what would have happened if we have not lost to Arsenal at Anfield. Now, instead of backing Man U at OT, I would love to see Arsenal beat them there. After all, we need Man U to drop some points now, now that we are effectively behind them and 3rd.

paw;)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
its over, i think. to be a championship winning side liverpool needs a class striker alongside owen, emil and jeri are good, but they are not machwinners

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
:depress:

We tried our best ...but Arsenal and B Leverkusen are just too

good...

Nearly men this time...

But We'll be back next season...

back where we belong...

The future is Liverpool

"You'll Never Walk Alone"...

"Ning Yong Bu Du Xing" (Mandarin)

·
Registered
79 Posts
What a dissapointing season for Liverpool. Just a few months ago, Liverpool looked like they could win the EPL and the Champions League but in the end Liverpool will not win anything

:(

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
We desperately need three points to keep out title hopes alive but we failed against a determined Spurs side who must surely be fighting for pride now. I hope Houllier realized that hard work can only get him so far. If he can take huge risks with his health, I can't see y can't he take risks with his teams. I could not even beat a Spurs side without King, Richards, Ziege, Carr, Ferdinand, Sherwood, Freund. And a Spurs side who never made a substitution throughout the match.

I hear the mumbles of Gerrard is out, so we might lose. Does it matter? Sure Gerrard is important, but we ought to be able to overcome his absense. That is the mark of a Championship team. Look at Arsenal, do U see them collapsing after Pires and Campbell is out. Is our attack creativity solely reliant on Gerrard? Its what's seperates Arsenal from us. They have loads of players who can create and score goals while our midfield is straighter then a ruler. This season is as good as over, our only hope is to hold on to 2nd place. I absolutely can't see how being ultra cautious will win us a title next season. No one takes RISKS, not even Smicer. If Damian Duff joins us next season, is he allowed to dribble?

Players

I shall skip, Dudek, Hyypia, Henchoz and Hamann, you know what I will say and they deserves to be on the team sheet before anyone else.

Xavier - With each week passing, he is going back to his old Everton self. Babbel will be back next season. If Xavier gets mad, sell him.

Carragher - Surely we need a more balanced left back in a 4-4-2- Vignal? Carragher will be a superb defender on the right hand side of a three men defence. But we will not see that happen

Murphy - Brilliant, everywhere and being Redknapp-esque in the first half. Losing balls, poor first touches, overran by make shift central midfielders in Clemence and Anderson. That must be the story of this season. Utterly inconsistant. And I have not see him deliver more then 5 good crosses from OPEN play in a match.

Smicer - From being in the French League team of the year to a inconsistant sob in Liverpool. Doesn't dare to dribble, doesn't dare to do anything remotely creative. He can't even pin down Spurs worst player Taricco, not the player to do so either.

Riise - Runs a lots, great Stamina, but creates absolutely nothing. Crossing is absymal. A left sided midfielder without being one. Poor covering of Poyet for the Spurs goal.

Heskey - When the going is good, even if he gets a torn muscle, he stays on the field. When times are bad, he was taken off with the slightest of complain. Falls to the ground too easily. First touch is often horrible, he is immobile. Yes we can talk about having a big striker updront to take the pressure, but if normal knock backs is all he can manage, we need to consider converting him to a winger, he seems more confortable there.

Owen - We can't spend every match relying on Boy Wonder.

Subs
Berger - Utterly out of touch, I don't expect someone like Berger to excel in Houllier's midfield. I dun expect him to do so badly either. He looks like he want to do something different but utterly lacked the confidence to do so.

Anelka - Ship him back to France, please. We can do with a more committed player

Litmanen - What do you expect him to do with 10 mins? 10 mins is the amount of time a player normally needs to get used to the match.

Spurs - Why are their league position worse then it seems
1. Injuries
2. It takes time to adapt to Hoddle system, it looks too complicated for some of the players to play in. (Sherwood, Tarrico)
3. Tarrico.

Simon Davis is my MOM tonight. Gave Carragher a torrid time.

What is to be done

Give Mellor and Vignal chances as sub.

Either we change our risk tolerance of we take Damian Duff off the transfer list. The no frills system have destroyed Berger,
Smicer, Litmanen and Vignal. It will destroy Duff too. If HOullier wants to persist in being cautious, get players like Emerton by all means, but make sure they CAN CROSS. Get rid of Smicer, Berger, Vignal, Litmanen if Houllier is at it.

we have to get rid of the mentality that all 11 players must be able to run and defend for the team, 9 will be enough. Of cos team work is important. Look at Roberto Baggio and Dennis Bergkamp, walk around the pitch for 70 mins and create 5 clear cut chances per match. Of cos I am talking about Jari. but we won't see him.
We do not seem to have any players to create chances from open play CONSISTANTLY. Hamann would if he doesn't play so deep. Murphy relies on deadball. Smicer is bloody inconsistant. Riise crossing is horrible, Carragher and Xavier cannot cross, Vignal who have decent crossing ability is frozen out of the team altogether. Gerrard will miss 1/3 of the season through injury and rest.

end.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Spurs have more depth and are more technical than Liverpool, we all know that. Spurs just took control of mid field and brought it down to their own tempo, and it fustrated them until they conceed a goal.

Liverpool rely on the counter-attack tatic (pace) and using their blundering 7ft defenders to go up for the corners.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
simon davies will be a star in the EPL...hoddle should use him more properly...he is an amazing kid...

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
And to rub salt to the wound, Ipswich couldn't stop Man U from going ahead of us by 2 points:rolleyes: RVN penalty in the 45th minute....1-0 FT
Like Yasir, I had to watch the match delayed, but despite being online during the whole match, I didn't dare go to any football related sites in case I somehow got to know the score....I badly wanted to watch the match without knowing the score. In fact, I didn't bring up the issue while chatting with Razor and Raanan (although one of my friends did say 'poor pool' before I could block him from telling me the score:D......so I actually knew what was coming; either a draw or a loss but definitely not a win:( ) However all this hide-and-seek did not pay off as I watched the delayed match in horror......our defense was horrendous early on with crosses from the left and right not at all dealt with properly and Riise was surely at fault of not trying to do anything to stop Poyet from shooting into the net:rolleyes:
Yes, missed chances was the name of the game...but I better not talk about them, I am already feeling sore with pain even as I remember them. Our season is over? Not yet!
We HAVE to ensure that we secure 2nd place. I have witnessed 'big' clubs stumbling at the CL qualifiers (Inter losing to Helsingborgs comes to mind....;)) We cannot say that we are already in the CL next year if we finish among the top 4. REMEMBER, we have to qualify seperately early next season. Though we did it in style this season with a nice 9-2 aggregate against FC Haka, we cannot be sure of such poor opposition every time. That is why it is of paramount importance that we try to finish above Man U.
paw, you are right. On May 8th, we will now be cheering Arsenal, not Man U. Our priortities have taken a U-turn..........

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Just as I am speaking, I am seeing Valencia winning 2-1
I admire Valencia this season. Yes their defence is as tight as Liverpool, yes they put a lot of player back to defend. As I have emphasise, its not whether we are boring or exciting that matters. Its whether we are effective in both areas of play - defend and attack. Valencia are good at both, even if they pile tons of players in defence and generally dun score a lot of goals. When the chips are down and they are a goal down, they can dominate a match with style and flair. Look who can create goals from open play, Kily, Aimar, Rufete, Vicente, even Carboni can cross well. I dun see them using a big tall striker like Carew to make the system work. Mista is one of the less talented striker in La Liga but all the chances goes to his feet with the precision of a laser. I seldom see Valencia aiming their counters at the front line, its usually to the flanks or to Aimar. Just look at the goals Baraja scored, both from Kily crosses. Do we have players who can cross well from open play apart from the inconsistant Smicer? Most of our matches were lost and drawn becos we have no idea on how to break a deadlock or how to comeback from a goal down. You talk about continential team, I have illustrate two example in Leverkusen which is a throw back to the 80s and Valencia which is Houller-esque in defence but magnificant in their counters. We have to change the way we attack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts