Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in the New Italy thread, in my opinion our biggest head-ache is trying to find quality back-ups in central defence.

I think we have quality now in midfield: Camoranesi, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gattuso, Totti etc (even Maresca).

Forwards are plentiful in choice...so lets not even bother discussing that.

Its the defence!

Who do we have in central defence apart from Nesta and Canna?!

Bonera?
Barzagli?
Materazzi?
Legrottaglie?
Ferrari?

I know what you are thinking.....HELP!

We don't have anyone with any quality here. In the world cup it is inevitable that Nesta and/or Canna will get suspended or injured. Then what?

Well I can only hope that 2 or 3 names pop up next season which could better fill the role than the list I gave above.

But what if we don't?

Shouldn't we then consider some of the older more experienced defenders? Panucci? Costacurta? beg Maldini? Who else?

Juve don't have a quality Italian central defender except Canna
Milan don't have an Italian back-up for Nesta and Maldini
Roma don't have one
Inter only have Matrix

Does anyone know who else it could be?

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
It's ironic that a team known for its defence can be so void of choices beyond the starters..

I think we're actually quite set at left-back/right-back. Players like Parisi and Chellini are young and show plenty of promise. Central defence, though, it a real problem..

Our best hope currently lie with one of Barzagli or Ferrari moving on to a bigger club so they can enhance their skills and play on a more consistently high level. I harbour high hopes for Matteo Ferrari.. I just hope he can move on quick (for the sake of himself and Roma) and prove to us why he has been so highly rated before his move.

Legrottaglie.. I've already given up on him eons ago.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
ferrari has been so bad this year..great defenders are incpabale of playing as clumsly as ferrarti has all year round///

not the answer..we simply have to stick with nesta and canna for a couple more years...hopefully we will find some young talented defenders by then

for now..the options we have SIMPLY arent good enough

·
Registered
159 Posts
barzagli bovo and bonera have the potential... it really comes down to next year when one or more of them move clubs and prove themselves at another level. milan do have a very young defender who appears quite promising but that appears to be far far away... but who knows they could have another maldini on their hands

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
hasnt chiellini earlier in the season played in the center before? but ofcourse we would rather have him playing left back

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
marlo85 said:
hasnt chiellini earlier in the season played in the center before? but ofcourse we would rather have him playing left back
Chiellini has played LB and LM, but never in the centre.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
How about Barzagli? Been praised a great deal this year!

I don't think Ferrari has got what it takes for a big club or the NT, which he clearly has shown in Roma. He's not a player to build our defence around. A lot of other young CB's that were praised and got a lot of expectations havn't really lived up to their potential. I'm talking about the likes of Bovo and P. Cannavaro, who havn't been up to it in Parma.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Catenaccio said:
I think we have quality now in midfield: Camoranesi, Pirlo, De Rossi, Gattuso, Totti etc (even Maresca).
Well, we have some quality players, but we still haven't got a convincing midfield arrangment established yet, this shouldn't be underestimated a problem. Still i agree, player-wise the defence is our biggest concerns.

Catenaccio said:
Shouldn't we then consider some of the older more experienced defenders? Panucci? Costacurta? beg Maldini? Who else?
Let's forget Panucci. It's fine to call back old men like Maldini or Billy if they're still performing at the highest level, but Panucci wasn't even solid when he was young.

Catenaccio said:
Does anyone know who else it could be?
Well we can't discount the younger boys that you have mentioned yet. Barzagli has at least earned a chance and could potentially do a job for us. Bovo is only 21 and may yet turn out quite well. Canna wasn't getting called up to play for the NT at that age, for example. Bovo is running out of time though to put together consistrntly good enough performances to get himself considered for 2006.

Right now one of the best (and one of the only) short term options for us is to suffer through Materazzi i'd say. and in fairness he can be ok sometimes. if we do make the world cup, i can't see Canna and Nesta playing all the games, for a variety of reasons. players like Materazzi and Barzagli will be required, good or not. we might as well get used to it and even start getting behind them, i'm sure they can hear us and they need an increase in confidence ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Barzagli is a good back-up,Bonera and Bovo could be,but they have to improve.
Ferrari has been really bad this season..Doesn't deserve to be called up.Makes a lot of clumsy fouls and mistakes..

I think nesta,canna,barzagli,bonera and bovo is enough..

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I don't think Bovo and Ferrari are good enough for the Azzurri, Barzagli and Bonera could be decent back up though.

It is a bit strange that the next generation of Italian defenders look so mediocre...no one really stands out as being anything other than potentially adequate.

Schumy started that other thread about why Materazzi is still part of the Azzurro set up, but when you look at it who else is there? He may be mistake prone but he's been better than other players that have been capped in recent time like Ferrari and Legro.

It's no wonder Italian teams are shopping for foreigners as quality defenders, because there is an acute shortage of Italian ones. At least there's Chiellini and Bonera for the flanks, but in the centre there's quite a nose dive in ability after Nesta and Cannavaro.

Gamberini at Bologna has started to show promise again and there's Masiello in Juve's reserves that seems highly rated, but they're long shots for the moment.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
No this problem will start showing more & more in the next few years!!
Barzagli is good, bonera is fair, but Ferrari, bovo, & the crap (materazzi) & legrottaglie are useless!!
Ferrari & Bovo has the chances to improve, especially Bovo who is younger & sometimes show good potential, but i don't think so..

We need new Nestas & new Cannavaros, True Italian Defender, those who can handle the extremes of pressure, & stress & never make mistakes!!
Italy should dig deeper & deeper & rescue this position!!

WE count a lot on our defence, its the prime of our game, we can go no where if we don't build a team infront of 2 perfect defenders & 1 perfect goalkeaper
if italy didn't manage this we will definitly face a disaster!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i hear theres a young kid called marzoratti (i think that was it) hes meant to be a great central defender, only about 18 or 19 so we'l have to see,
i read about him on another discussion and searched for him on a yahoo search so i didnt get much info really. ANYBODY GOT MALDINI'S MOBILE, LETS BEG HIM TO COME BACK FOR 2006

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
don said:
i hear theres a young kid called marzoratti (i think that was it) hes meant to be a great central defender, only about 18 or 19 so we'l have to see,
i read about him on another discussion and searched for him on a yahoo search so i didnt get much info really. ANYBODY GOT MALDINI'S MOBILE, LETS BEG HIM TO COME BACK FOR 2006
Lino Marzoratti?? :confused:

If Paolo did come back to win the world cup 2006... justice!!! But it won't happen.

His international career is no more :sob:

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I don't think bringing back Maldini is the answer, i mean you couldn't bring him out of international retirement to sit on the bench, that would be a travesty. But so would relegating one of Nesta, Canna or Zambro to put Maldini back into the first team, all of the previous three mentioned have been great for the Azzurri and it wouldn't be fair to make them play second fiddle after their contributions to the Italian NT.

·
Registered
251 Posts
barzagli is a good backup, and although ferrari has had a terrible season, we all know he is a good player. Perhaps his form has been affected by the poor environment at roma (4 coahes in one season).

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
We have many ifs and potentials right now. many players being mentioned play for lower clubs and i think this is the main probelm. cannavaro, zambrotta and nesta play for the biggest clubs. everyone else plays for lower clubs and we dont know whether they have what it takes as yet,

im hoping that bonera, zaccardo, barzagli all end up at the likes of juve, milan and even inter so they get the exposure of the CL etc..and they can really show what they have to offer on the larger stage.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
CUG said:
many players being mentioned play for lower clubs and i think this is the main probelm. cannavaro, zambrotta and nesta play for the biggest clubs. everyone else plays for lower clubs
Ferrari "plays" for a big club :stuckup: :D

(no need to reply ;))

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Ferrari, Barzagli, Zaccardo.. all these are examples of very good defenders with no "oomph". They're brilliant on their day but no Italian defender (as a matter of fact, no defender in world football) right now is capable of oozing the class and confidence exhibited by Nesta and Cannavaro. Just the mere mention of their names currently strike fear into the opposing strikers.

We've had Maldini and Baresi, and now Cannavaro and Nesta.. are Barzagli and Matrix the best that we can provide for the next generation? That would be a step downwards as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bovo will move to Roma next season and so we will see of him, he may not even start which wouldnt be great for him, but then he is better than Ferrari IMO at least.

Barzagli could be in the CL with Palermo, or at least i the UEFA which is a good test for him.

Bonera will be at a big club almost surely so we will see of him also.

Right now we do have a problem, but for now if Falcone got called, I wouldnt see any problem with a 4 of Nesta, Cannavaro, Falcone and Barzagli.

The problem is Falcone doesnt get called so Materazzi who can play well, but is rather risky, is the main centre back when Nesta or Cannavaro get injured. Against the best teams it will be dodgy.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What ever happened to Iuliano? I know he wasn't great but I'd trust him over some of the other guys we have been talking about. Where does he play now?

Do we have any other good defenders in other leagues? We may have to think about that too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts