Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, its time to get this brand new forum a description;)

wally has made a great work with the porto's sub-forum one ( :howler: ) so lets move our asses and get one for sporting as well, quickly !:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
18 portuguese leagues, 13 portuguese cups, 5 portuguese super cups, 4 portuguese championships, 1 cup winners cup winners...and the proud birth of a lot of european football legends. the lions are much more than a club, they're an elite

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
I propose that we wait for more than one proposal and then vote democratically...as we've done for the Portuguese Forum description...

just out of curiosity...Balakov: what do you exactly mean with elite? :googly:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
nothing special, just a joke because everyone calls us an elite club..and sometimes even some sporting individualties wants to be called like that...

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Balakov10 said:
nothing special, just a joke because everyone calls us an elite club..and sometimes even some sporting individualties wants to be called like that...
if there is a thing that irritates me about being a Sporting fan is having the name of our club linked with those that you call "our individualities" or some sort of imaginary "elite"

If you really know Sporting as a club and Portugal as a country you know very well that Sporting is not a club having as supporters a small group of "meninos da linha" or a couple of sleazy lawyers à la Dias Ferreira or João Rocha style...

Sporting is, was and it will always be a club from the people and to the people and all the so called "aristocratic craddle" gibberish is just a typical "slogan de 5 tostões" sold to people that would like one day in their sad lives to belong to some pseudo-"elite"

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I agree 99% with u...:thumbsup:

the other 1% it's about João Rocha, he was a good president though...the only who made some force against Pinto da Costa

·
Administrator
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow guys, im very impressed, u both giving :thmbdown: to that "elite" issue:)

its pathetic yes coz every club has people from every social class and thats the way it should be

anyways, a lil note...both the benfica forum and the porto sub-forum are counting the portugal championships as portuguese league titles , so feel free to do the same:)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
inacio said:
wow guys, im very impressed, u both giving :thmbdown: to that "elite" issue:)

its pathetic yes coz every club has people from every social class and thats the way it should be
it's good to know that you think like that because there is a good part of your club's fans that really believe in that same crap talk about Sporting being supported only by the "upper classes" :wallbang:

inacio said:
anyways, a lil note...both the benfica forum and the porto sub-forum are counting the portugal championships as portuguese league titles , so feel free to do the same:)
that is a mistake because what currently is called "Liga" can only be matched to what used to be called "Campeonato Nacional da 1a. Divisão" and NOT by the old "1a.Liga" or by the "Campeonato de Portugal" as these competitions were played in very different formats and were not recognised as representative of the whole country.

The trick of adding the titles of 1a.Liga and Campeonatos de Portugal to the real Portuguese titles is used by Benfica and Porto fans to boost their number of titles which is in itself wrong therefore if someone needs to change it it's you and not us.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Btw,can Kleber do the Sporting forum description or what?:pp

·
Administrator
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Filipe Reis said:
it's good to know that you think like that because there is a good part of your club's fans that really believe in that same crap talk about Sporting being supported only by the "upper classes" :wallbang:

u know why that happens, coz even i myself know personally several sporting fans who always come up with that elite crap talk, and MEAN it lol

its absurd, coz all u have to do is go to a game and see how u cant distinguish a sporting from a benfica fan if they have switched jerseys/ scarfs :rollani:

Filipe Reis said:
The trick of adding the titles of 1a.Liga and Campeonatos de Portugal to the real Portuguese titles is used by Benfica and Porto fans to boost their number of titles which is in itself wrong therefore if someone needs to change it it's you and not us.

everyone uses it;) so i was just pointing it out as a reminder, not making any kind of pressure for "u" to change it:rollani:

as u know benfica doesnt need it to still have more titles

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
inacio said:
u know why that happens, coz even i myself know personally several sporting fans who always come up with that elite crap talk, and MEAN it lol
yes, that's true but also in that it is impossible to differentiate our sets of fans because in both you find intelligent people and idiots

inacio said:
its absurd, coz all u have to do is go to a game and see how u cant distinguish a sporting from a benfica fan if they have switched jerseys/scarfs :rollani:
no doubt about that :stuckup:...I wouldn't say the same about a Porto fan though :D

inacio said:
everyone uses it;) so i was just pointing it out as a reminder, not making any kind of pressure for "u" to change it:rollani:

as u know benfica doesnt need it to still have more titles
OK, a bit of history is always good to clarify things:

Campeonato de Portugal 1921-1938

From 1921/22 up to and including 1937/38 the "Campeonato de Portugal" was played as a cup competition (i.e. by the knock out system). The winners were "Campeão de Portugal", or Champions of Portugal.

In 1934/35 an experimental Campeonato de Liga was started, but the winners were not considered national champions (its winners being called Campeão de Liga) until the 1938/39 season, in which an official league championship, the Campeonato da Primeira Divisão, was introduced (whose winners were called Campeão Nacional), replacing the Campeonato de Portugal; in addition, a new cup competition, the Taça de Portugal (Cup of Portugal) was started.

Number of Wins Campeonato de Portugal 1921-1938

4 Sporting CP
4 FC Porto
3 CF "Os Belenenses"
3 SL Benfica
1 Carcavelinhos FC
1 CS Marítimo
1 Olhanense

Number of Wins Campeonato da Ia Liga 1934-1938 (unofficial)

3 SL Benfica
1 FC Porto

I guess that the "confusion" in certain red minds comes from the fact that the title of "Champions of Portugal" was given to the winners of the old Portuguese Cup which was in fact called Campeonato de Portugal.

I know that your team has won the REAL Portuguese League more times than any other team but why not being clear with it and avoid mixing competitions that have nothing to do with each other?

·
Administrator
24,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Filipe Reis said:
no doubt about that :stuckup:...I wouldn't say the same about a Porto fan though :D
no comment :neutral: :D

Filipe Reis said:
I know that your team has won the REAL Portuguese League more times than any other team but why not being clear with it and avoid mixing competitions that have nothing to do with each other?

im ok with it, but maybe that is something that should be decided officially, coz as u know its not even a "fans" thing, it how its refered to by the press, so yeah, its a mess

i recall this time someone asked me about how many league titles we had, and i went to check all those competitions and didnt know which "version" to give it to them tbh, so chose to use the one everyone pretty much uses ...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think Record is the only paper that doesn't count those 4 Campeonatos da I Liga. It's no wonder since traditionally Record used to be associated with Sporting, and Sporting won none of those.
Other sources count them because it was a league format, although there was no second division and relegations and clubs qualified regionally to play there.
Since it was a league type of tournament, I agree with most sources in listing them together with the I Divisão titles.
It's not good for Porto though because it puts us further away from Benfica (we have to look up not down ;) ), but anyways, it's not really an important issue in my view... what counts is that Porto and Benfica have two titles of european champions each. :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
MCdread said:
I think Record is the only paper that doesn't count those 4 Campeonatos da I Liga. It's no wonder since traditionally Record used to be associated with Sporting, and Sporting won none of those.
Other sources count them because it was a league format, although there was no second division and relegations and clubs qualified regionally to play there.
Since it was a league type of tournament, I agree with most sources in listing them together with the I Divisão titles.
It's not good for Porto though because it puts us further away from Benfica (we have to look up not down ;) ), but anyways, it's not really an important issue in my view... what counts is that Porto and Benfica have two titles of european champions each. :D
This is not a matter of "sources" but a matter of facts.

These competitions were different and as I wrote before, the old Liga was an unofficial competition therefore it cannot be mixed with the official Portuguese championship.

Bringing your European titles into this discussion is as relevant as mentioning the "sources" where one can read about facts.

If this matter is not important in your view I suggest that next time you choose to be silent about it.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
OK, here is my proposal for a description of our forum...

The centenary Lions of Lisbon have a past to be proud of...18 Portuguese leagues, 13 Portuguese cups, 5 Portuguese super cups, 4 Portuguese championships, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup. Craddle of some of the greatest players of modern European football, Sporting is an ecletic club always turned towards the future...Welcome to the green and white forum!

I suggest that we wait two more days for other proposals and from Monday evening on (12pm CET) we open the voting during 24 hours...do you all agree?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Here's my proposal:

"Welcome to the home of Sporting Clube de Portugal. This space is up for sale."

:D

On a more serious note, if you care to know where that elitist crap comes from, that a look at your sig.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Gein said:
Here's my proposal:

"Welcome to the home of Sporting Clube de Portugal. This space is up for sale."

:D

On a more serious note, if you care to know where that elitist crap comes from, that a look at your sig.

Your proposal is not taken upon as hopefully I don't think you meant it.

Taken into account that the text from where that line was taken from was written in 1906 I find it very advanced that the club presented itself as being open to all and even made reference to persons from both genders. The "boa sociedade" bit is a typical thing from the society of that age and it is very far from being a sign of elitism.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Of course it's not to be taken. It was just a joke. :)

I wouldn't dismiss that line, from your fundamental text, because you can't find it that easily in other clubs. Sporting, at the time, was proud of it. But there are other factors, namely the fact that you only had open elections after 25 de Abril and that, for a long time, people with criminal records were not allowed for membership.

Obvioulsy that has changed, since all big 3 gather fans from every where, but the image remained. You have the elitist one, we have the popular one, with the sandes de courato e mini.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Gein said:
I wouldn't dismiss that line, from your fundamental text, because you can't find it that easily in other clubs. Sporting, at the time, was proud of it. But there are other factors, namely the fact that you only had open elections after 25 de Abril and that, for a long time, people with criminal records were not allowed for membership.
You are not trying to tell me that Benfica and FC Porto had free and fair elections before we actually had democracy in our country are you? :googly:

Gein said:
Obvioulsy that has changed, since all big 3 gather fans from every where, but the image remained. You have the elitist one, we have the popular one, with the sandes de courato e mini.
and I think that image is absolutely fake and like all images is imposed and nurtured by a few people that actually benefit from it.

Sporting is as popular and pimba as Benfica...although none of us reaches the record breaking levels of bimbalhada of the boys in blue :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts