Xtratime Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Throughout the season so far, our attack has been toothless. Although our poor defense has been the main culprit for our failure, every time we play we seem devoid of ideas attacking. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we attack like a Serie B team. Why? Eugenio Corini's been injured the whole season. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this (or indeed written about this earlier), but we desperately miss him and the creativity and range of passing he brings to the table. At the very least I feel that we'd be playing some high-scoring games with him around, but the fact of the matter is, except for our opening-day victory against Lecce we have never scored more than three goals in league play and never won by a margin of more than a goal. At the same time we have shipped at least three goals in five of our games and lost by at least two goals margins in same amount of games.

We desperate need Corini back - if he can regain fitness our attack will be much better off. Despite his age he is the most creative player we have and crucial to our offesnive capabilities. Dzemaili, Zanetti, Barone, and Säumel are certainly good central midfielders, but they don't bring that attacking power that Corini does. If we cannot either get Corini fit or bring in a suitable player like him in January (and there are few of those around), then we'll be screwed for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There's actually been quite a bit written on the fan sites about how badly the team miss Corini, so you're in no way alone in feeling that way. I agree with you, though I think he's missed as much because of his leadership as anything else -- the moment anything goes wrong for this team on the pitch right now, they absolutely collapses emotionally and mentally, and there's no one to pick them or keep them focused. He's really the only true leader the team have, and there's a lack of mental strength when he's not there.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, I have seen that offered up as well. The problem there is it would be difficult to bring a new signing in and have him be the team leader, it is something that for Corini has developed over time. That being said, I do agree with Monzon that Volpi could help to partly solve Corini's absence:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/dec24m.html

·
Registered
561 Posts
Corini actually was given the armband in, what, his third match for Toro? It's more his personality than anything else but, as you suggest, he's incredibly unusual in that he's looked up to from pretty much the moment he turns up.

I hate those C4 stories with no sources listed, but Volpi sounds a lot more practical a person to pursue than DDM, at least. And it'd be nice to get Dellafiore back, too, are Palermo hesitating to let him return, or something? What's going on there?

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Corini actually was given the armband in, what, his third match for Toro? It's more his personality than anything else but, as you suggest, he's incredibly unusual in that he's looked up to from pretty much the moment he turns up.

I hate those C4 stories with no sources listed, but Volpi sounds a lot more practical a person to pursue than DDM, at least. And it'd be nice to get Dellafiore back, too, are Palermo hesitating to let him return, or something? What's going on there?
I don't remember it being that early, I'm pretty Comotto was captain early on in 07-08 but I know Corini stepped in very well as Comotto started to develop issues. Also, Corini had joined Torino early in the summer and had all of preseason to gel with the squad.

I doubt we'll pursue DDM in the January market, rather he will more likely come back to us when his loan at West Ham is up. (He had a great start there but after that hasn't done a whole lot.) I'm not sure what the situation with Dellafiore is at the moment. He seems to be behind a number of defenders in the pecking order (Bovo, Carrozzieri, Kjaer, and Raggi - the last of whom has also been linked to us), so I'm guessing its more a reluctance on Palermo's part than his. He is still young, especially for a defender so I think Palermo are unwilling to let him go on anything other than a loan deal.

Btw, we should move this discussion, apart from the Corini issue, to the transfer thread.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dzemaili is a good player, but he does not bring to the table what Corini does in terms of leadership and creativity.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Gli allenamenti odierni
martedì 30 dicembre 2008

Doppia, intensa seduta di allenamento, oggi, per il Toro: lavori atletici, di tecnica e di tattica suddivisi nelle due sessioni. Buone notizie per Corini, che è tornato ad allenarsi in gruppo, e per Diana, che ha lavorato a lungo con i compagni.

Confermata da una nuova ecografia, invece, la diagnosi dell'infortunio di Rubin: lesione di primo/secondo grado del bicipite femorale sinistro. Stop di 4-5 settimane per lui.

http://www.torinofc.it/content/view/3989/61/
corini return to training with group

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's unfortunate. Dzemaili is going to be a great player and has shown some signs of it, but at the moment he simply does not possess the ability to give the team that mental boost that they need, nor is he ready to be a leader on the pitch, IMO. We still need Corini, at least for the rest of this season. Glad to know he is back in training with the rest of the squad. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
The story about Corini being allowed to leave worries me, because it's true that Novellino has never valued him as highly as GDB did. I can't imagine, though, that he can't see how much Corini's presence will/would stabilize this team -- hopefully we won't hear much more about possible departure until summer.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Hadn't seen that. Well, guess it was overdue.

:thumbsup: Corini.
Il saluto di Corini ''Lo immaginavo diverso''

Da ieri non è più un calciatore. E’ scaduto il contratto che per due anni lo ha legato al Torino, l’ultimo dopo 22 anni di una carriera con pochi eguali per longevità. Questo, ufficialmente; perché nei fatti, Eugenio Corini non era più un calciatore già da tre mesi, dalla sostituzione al 55’ a Palermo nella gara di esordio di Camolese.
Raggiunto telefonicamente nel corso della puntata di ieri di EstaToro, “Genio” racconta la sua messa a riposo: “Ho appeso le scarpe al famoso chiodo”.
“Era una decisione che avevo preso all’inizio della stagione, e sulla quale non ero disposto a ripensare”, dice. “Stagione che avrei voluto diversa. Nel suo svolgimento, perché sono stato colpito da una tendinite che mi ha fatto giocare molto poco; e soprattutto nel suo esito, perché chiudere con una retrocessione era certamente l’ultima cosa che avrei voluto. Un dolore difficile da digerire”. Non solo per Corini, ma anche per molte migliaia di persone.
http://www.toronews.net/?action=article&ID=13308

1 - 16 of 16 Posts