Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday, April 15, 2004

Ajax set to swoop for Bergkamp

Ajax boss Ronald Koeman is planning to sign his former Holland team-mate Dennis Bergkamp this summer if the veteran forward fails to reach agreement on a new contract with Arsenal.
Bergkamp's current deal expires at the end of the season and he would be available on a free transfer if talks over an extension fail to come to fruition.

Now 34, Bergkamp would offer experience which is a commodity in short supply at Ajax.

The Amsterdammers have let injury-prone captain Jari Litmanen leave and join FC Lahti, and Bergkamp would act as an ideal foil to young Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The frontman, capped 79 times by Holland, began his career with Ajax, progressing through the club's vaunted youth system before spending seven years in the first team.

He was lured away by Serie A giants Inter Milan, before making north London his home when Arsenal rescued him from an Italian nightmare in 1995.

Koeman would relish the prospect of Bergkamp once again donning the white and red shirts of Ajax.

'The balance of our XI is too far swayed towards youth, and an experienced campaigner would be good,' Koeman told the Dutch magazine Sportweek.

'It would be fantastic if Bergkamp wants to conclude his career here.

'If Bergkamp indicates that he no longer wants to stay at Arsenal, we must try and bring him here.

'Playing as he is now, he can be of great value to Ajax.'

Koeman's team are currently top of the Dutch Eredivisie and can clinch the title this weekend, should they win at home to RBC Roosendaal and nearest rivals PSV Eindhoven lose against NEC Nijmegen.

------------------------------

berggy retires as a gooner, not going to ajax or anywhere. give him another contract though

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
no let him go , every player wants to end his career where it started , reyes wants to return to sevillia 1 day to.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Let him go, we need to develop a play style that doesn't depend on his silky skills. Even if it means a failure season, we rely too much on his playmaking when we shouldn't.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no way, berggy started here, he ends here.

we need his god divine powers to be passed down onto our new stars liek bently.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sawap him for Trabelsi
for sure

ok he's our legend
but we cant keep him for only the emotion

we're going to build a great team
we need some positions to be strengthen
RB and LM and RM

Sawap him for Trabelsi again

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
we can't swap him 4life,he is out of contract so would go to Ajax on a Bosman,we won't get anything out of it at all.

complete rubbish,Wenger will give him another year as a rotated sqyad player and then he will be entitled to a big payday in his testimonial.

it would be madness for Dennis to leave.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
sorry Jern
but also Trabelso out of contract

I mean the two clubs can make a amicable swap for the players
with Ajax get some money also

and I do love this deal to strengh our squad out of any talk about loving Bregie cause he is one of my idols

but Arsenal Above the ALL

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
if Trabelsi is out of contract though,it's his decision, he can choose where he wants to go,i don't think us letting Dennis go will affect him in the slightest,unless he is insane. :D

the only reason for us to let Dennis go would be to save on wages and seeing as he is one of our lowest paid first teamers,it makes no sense to me.;)

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Swiftwilly said:
no way, berggy started here, he ends here.
Ehh...I thought he started in Amsterdam ;)
Well, you maybe just meant...hmm...well, heck with what you meant, he should stay, that's what important! ;) :D

Chris said:
Let him go, we need to develop a play style that doesn't depend on his silky skills. Even if it means a failure season, we rely too much on his playmaking when we shouldn't.
So if it would mean a failure season why not keeping him another year and have our failure season after next season? :rolleyes:

Anyway I don't think we need Bergy that extremly much that he's the reason we're succesfull ;)
With Bergy we are suberb, without him we would still be very good...atleast. :)

Well, to sum it up, keep Bergy for another season.
The thing is if he stays we will get new strikers, if he goes we will get new strikers so it doesn't really harm anyone to let him get a contract extension...

Normaly I like when players end their careers in their "original"-team but I hope it doesn't happen this time though ;)

I like Bergy alot and so do many if not all Arsenal fans and I think he has more than proven that he should have a new contract but if he doesn't get one, I think we all want the best for him in life.
And I can't see him getting it better than in Amsterdam with his old team and old and loving fans, if the time comes when he get released from Arsenal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bergy should show some of his magic in amsterdam again!!
It would be great and Arsenal should just go on with other great players that they have ,or sign a player like aimar

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
justaboy said:
Bergy should show some of his magic in amsterdam again!!
It would be great and Arsenal should just go on with other great players that they have ,or sign a player like aimar
Wouldn't that be something? ;)
I would love to see Aimar or Ronaldinho in Arsenal but I just don't see it happen...perhaps in London, but not in Arsenal...hmm ;)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in my eyes he started here. one of the reasons i started luving arsenal. he is a god.

i want him to become a striker coach, he'll be able to teach so much from his vast godly experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts