Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Info from Wikipedia

Founded in 1893, Genoa is the oldest existing Italian football club. The club was founded by Englishmen, hence the English name (the italian city of Genova is spelt Genoa in English).

In their history Genoa have won the Italian Football Championship nine times, the first of which was 1898 during the competition's inaugural season, the last time they won the league was in 1924. They have also won the Coppa Italia once. Historically, Genoa are the tenth most successful club in Italian football. However, they are the fourth most successful in terms of championships won, even though they won these championships in the "pioneering age" of Italian football, - their last success dating back to 1924.

The club has played at Stadio Luigi Ferraris (which has a capacity of 36,536[3]) since 1911, the stadium is shared (since august 1946) with another club - rivals, UC Sampdoria. Since the 1960s, Genoa have often bounced between Serie A and Serie B. In the 2006-2007 season the club will compete in Serie B after spending a season in Serie C1 because of a match-fixing scandal. The club has not played in the Italian top division since 1995.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Leagues Loaded:

Argentina (Premier Division)
Brazil (First Division)
England (Premier Division)
France (First League)
Germany (First Division)
Italy (Serie B and above)
Norway (Premier Division)
Spain (First Division)

Version 7.0.2

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Damn, thats a lot of rivals.

Finances

Transfer Budget: €2.9M
Balance: €5.1M
Wage Budget: €372K

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Genoa :yuck: :scared: Drac, how could you? :depress:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe, like I said, lots of rivals. :pp Well, I figured it'd be challenging and fun to try and bring Genoa back to their glory days.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I hate Genoa so much, you'd better picked someone else... maybe like... euhm.... Foggia :angel: :lala:

:devil:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Foggia was extremely interesting, but after I got my ass kicked with Fisher Athletic in English Conference, I dont think I'm ready to go any lower than Serie B at the moment.

Beside, Genoa has quite an interesting squad, which could make the transition to Serie A quite easy, especially when the likes of Milito returns from loan next year.

Maybe I'll choose Foggia (or Reggiana) next time. ;)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We made our first signing of the season;

26 year old FrenchmanRudy Mater D/WB R, M RL Joined from French First league outfit Valenciennes for €1.8M.

The squad at the start of the season:

The squad looks decent by Serie B standards, I think we should be able to fight for a playoff spot.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting line-up in a 4-4-2 diamond formation:

GK: Rubinho

DR: Mater
DC: De Rosa
DC: Criscito
DL: Fabiano

DM: Milanetto

MR: Adailton
ML: Juric

AMC: Leon

FC: Gasparetto
FC: Di Vaio

Of course Figueroa will take Gasparettos spot when he returns from injury.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Andor said:
Sampa :stuckup:
Let's sing together: Shame on Drac, shame on Drac!! :drunk: :drunk:

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Mmm, really hard to say, I never tried on Serie B level (without previousy playing Serie C of course), try to steal some lads from Lecce or Treviso, Mounard from Foggia, Sinischalchi (sp?) from Salernitana would be very good additions aswell. And if your goalkeepers suck, take a look at Marruocco, oh and in Sangiusepesse (Serie D) is MR called Francheschini, always turns into a hero, try him, you should get him for like 5000€.

EDIT: I forget, maybe there won't be all these players loaded since you have selected Serie B and above. Then simply take a look around all the clubs of B, good buy could be also defender Gervasoni, Nocerino is interesting DM. For attack Sinigaglia or Floro Flores, both Arezzo, but really there in B are million names to look after.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I'll have a look at those, the team does not seem to be as strong as I thought, or maybe I just need to work on my tactics. I'm using the same tactic (with some minor changes) I used with Atletico to win 3 consecutive Primera Liga titles. :doh: (which will of course not work, no Aguero, Petrov or Torres here)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
August 2007​

Genoa - Spezia (Italian Cup 1st Qual. Round) 1-0

Spezia are one of the weaker sides of Serie B, so I figured we'd be able to beat them, especially at home. But they put up a good fight, and few chances were created in a goal-less first half. We had to push them higher up on the field in the second half, and this actually resulted in a couple of dangerous chances for them. The match seemed to towards a boring 0-0 draw, but a long shot by Milanetto put us in the lead at the end of the match, and we held onto that single goal to advance to the next round. Can't say I was impressed by the team, maybe that playoff spot might be a bit too ambitious.

MOM: Marco Rossi (Genoa)

Genoa - Napoli (Italian Cup 2nd Qual. Round) 0-0 (4-2 on penalties)

Only 4 days later we played Naploli, and I had to replace a few of the starters due to fatigue. Another disappointing display by the team in the first half, was followed up with some good play in the second. But no goals were scored and the match went to extra time, where it remained goal less (Greco had a goal disallowed for offside), and the outcome was decided on penalties, which we won.

MOM: Fabio Gatti (Napoli)

Avellino - Genoa (Italian Cup 3rd Qual. Round) 2-2 (4-3 on penalties)

Suclli finally scored our first goal from open play at the start of the first half. Adailton scored another one for us at the very end of the second half, but it was disallowed for offsie. And those bastards equalised only a minute later. Once again the match went to extra time. Leon sscored a cracker in the 101st minute, but they came back yet again, thanks to a huge blunder by Rubinho.

We were not as lucky on penalties this time, and thus did not reach the next stage of the cup. :(

MOM: Riccio (Avellino)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Genoa - vicenza (Serie B) 2-0

They had a player sent off almost at the beginning and thus became easy pickings. Scoring an own goal did not help them either. Di

Vaio scored our second. So far so good I guess.

MOM: Rudy Mater (Genoa)

Lecce - Genoa (Serie B) 3-1

Lecce is a strong side, especially with Tiribocchi on top, so I was quite worried about this match, and my worries turned out to be correct. Especially as I made the same mistake as the Juve match by not going for a defensive approach. THe bastard Tiribocchi scored early on in the match, and just when things seemed to go better for us in the second half, Tulli scored their second :mad:

We did not give up without a fight though, and Leon put us back in the game with a good shot on a free kick. But as we were chasing the equaliser, they countered and Tiribocchi scored his second for the day to kill the game.

MOM: Tiribocchi (Lecce)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Dracula said:
Of course Figueroa will take Gasparettos spot when he returns from injury.
Unless they de-tuned Figueroa, he'll be scoring mucho goals for you. :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally some positivity. :D Well, he just returned from injury, so I guess I'll find out. It'd be nice though, as Sculli seems to be very inconsistent, while Gasparetto is missing chances after chances.

Andor, I agree. Di Vaio :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 372 Posts