Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the serious match. Spain can't lose this match or we could have problems to advance to the final phase. A draw would not be a bad result, Spain has talent enough to go for the victory in Belgrade, where it's expected to have a hot atmosphere.

Spain's probable lineup
Code:
               Casillas

Puyol   Juanito  Pablo  Del Horno

Xavi    Albelda

Joaquin     Raul        Luque

F. Torres

·
Registered
653 Posts
quite a strong team but ours is very very strong 2

we won in a friendly today

7-0 kezman scored 3
vucinic scored 2
ilic scored 1
koroman scored 1

we have brilliant strikers and a strong defence!!!

watch out in BEOGRAD!!! :)

·
Registered
23,488 Posts
Some 2nd division side I think, no big deal really, it means nothing.
You guys on the other hand had a nice display today beating China 3-0.

This game is gonna be intense, I hope we can get the victory but for some reason I see a draw happening...

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that these friendlies help much to know the real situation of both teams.

·
Registered
653 Posts
we are playing 4-4-2 i think or 3-5-2 i aint sure but we are definitley playing with 2 strikers....i just hope its 2 out of (jestrovic,kezman and vucinic) i hope milosevic dont get to play

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
David Navarro has been ruled out of this game.
L.Aragones will not call another defender to replace him.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I think Valeron should play over Raul even if he is Captain. Aragones has gone with all the inform players, he might aswell make no exceptions.

We can win this game if we want to. The majority of the players will be fighting with their clubs for Europeans spots and there are also a couple of qualifiers in that time. They should sacrifice everything for this game to get the uper hand in the group so they can be comfortable with their clubs and ease off some of the pressure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
SPANIARD said:
We can win this game if we want to.
I dont think it will be that simple.
Throughout the years I have enjoyed a few close encounters between our 2 countries.

Who remembers the classic WC' Italia 90 in the round of 16 knockout between Yugoslavia 2:1 Spain will know what I'm talking about.
2 amazing goals by our captain Dragan Stojkovic "Piksi" one of them a beautiful free kick in extra time and a match that kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Emilio Butragueno was dangerous, Julio Salinas scored the equalizer for Spain, Dejan Savicevic toyed with the whole Spanish defence when he came on as a sub, mad I guess because he didnt start, and in 1994 he retired Zubizarreta from Barca (fired at the airport in Athens) with that amazing lob in CL 1994 final in the AC Milan 4:0 victory vs. Barcelona. It got him the man of the match award (even though Stoichkov and Romario were there) and the RAI comentator nicknamed him "Il Genio" repeating that frase over 200 times during the game.

Then the WC'1998 qualifier in Belgrade, Spain was better in the first half and resulting from that Hierro scored a penalty while in the second half we played better and Mijatovic scored a penalty to tie the game 1:1 in something like the 88th minute. The stadium erupted with relief. There was a nice little bust-up there between Sinisa Mihajlovic and Rafael Alkorta, 2 very short tempered players :) Alkorta pulled his shirt and got elbowed in the face and when he regained his senses kicked him from behind without the ball. When Alkorta was going back to defence he got hit by a thunder-ball in the back fired by Mihajlovic on purpose from the resulting free kick, that was so funny.

And then finally the match that got voted as the best one of Euro'2000 the 4:3 victory in the group for Spain where it was stolen from us by the dirty ref who allowed clear fouls for Spain but sent off our defensive midfielder Jokanovic for no reason whatsoever when we had the 1:0 (Milosevic header) lead. Alfonso equalized and then we took a 2:1 lead a minute later Spain equalized again. Then a Mihajlovic free kick hit a Spanish defender and the deflection came to one of our players who put it past Canizares for 3:2 even though for most of the match we played with 10 men. At that time the other match in parallel ended 1:1 wich ment Yugoslavia qualified with Slovenia out and Norway already starting to celebrate their entry into the QF's because all they needed was Spain to draw or lose. Well the the ref had other ideas when he extended the second half for 10 extra minutes, first time i saw that in my life, then in the 98th minute when one of our defenders went for the 50:50 ball in the air the crazy ref gave a penalty (some of our fans ran onto the pitch trying to beat the ref, hilarious :happy: ) slotted in by Mendieta and finally the volley from Alfonso to make it 4:3 in the 110th minute. I saw the Norway players crying and collapsing in disbelief and there were even allegations and investigations that we "threw" the match having already qualified, because most of our team played in Spanish clubs :rolleyes: . Someone put that ref in the hospital when they threw a coin as he was entering the tunnel so he got punished rather harshly.

In other words, we can expect a seesaw thriller on the 30th of March. Sports luck will follow the brave and play an important part :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
napred Plavi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Koeman4 said:
English, please.
it just means come on blues meaning serbia

·
Registered
222 Posts
In an interview your coach said that the top 5 technical teams in Europe are France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Yugoslavia (aka Serbia & Montenegro) "the other teams beat us on strenght and physical fitness" he adds.

My dad told me this rivalry started long ago, at the knockout qualifier which was played in Frankfurt for WC' Germany 1974, Yugoslavia won against Spain 1:0, interestingly our present coach was playing in that team.

I managed to find the famous Dejo Wondergoal which to some is one of the top-10 goals of all time.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Barcelona's visit to the legendary San Siro Wednesday is a chance to vanquish demons. The Catalan club faces AC Milan, its bogey team of recent history.

The rot started during the European 1989-90 SuperCup. A goal by Evani gave the Milanese a 2-1 aggregate victory. Playing that night in the heart of the Milan defense was a young, dreadlocked Dutchman called Frank Rijkaard.

Four years later Johan Cruyff took his 'Dream Team' to the European Cup Final in Athens. With Brazilian genius Romario and grumpy Bulgarian eccentric Hristo Stoichkov in irrepressible form, Barcelona had won four league titles in a row and were tipped to topple Fabio Capello's Milan.

But with the Magician from Montenegro, Dejan Savicevic in devastating form and Baresi and Maldini as tight as a backpacker's budget, Barca's Total Football crumbled and Catenaccio prevailed. Milan soaked up the pressure and responded with some deadly counter-attacks, reaping four goals without reply.

It was no surprise when Milan took the lead in the 22nd minute. The move started down the right when Dejan Savicevic skipped past Nadal and drew Andoni Zubizarreta towards his intended cross.

The centre eluded the Barcelona goalkeeper and with Ronald Koeman stranded in no-man's land, Daniele Massaro found himself unmarked on the far post to steer the ball home from close range with a deft left-foot shot.

Two minutes after the interval Savicevic scored one of the most spectacular goals seen in a European Cup final. After beating Ferrer on the right the Serb ran to the corner of the Barcelona penalty area and, spotting Zubizarreta slightly off his line, sent a delicate left-foot lob over the bemused and embarrassed goalkeeper.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
if i understand, raul is bound to play this game on the cost of either Torres, De la Peña or Luque.
Raul defintly have the exprience for big matches like this, i just don't know if it is a wise desicion, but we all know Aragonés - he will put raul not matter what.
although torres is in great shape, if i had to choose who to replace of the 3 suggested, i would choose him.
This way the rest of the formation will not change, just a CF for CF...
I also think it is critical to keep De la Peña and xavi in the formation, as this two can impact the game in one pass.

it will be a very tough game and i don't know what are the rest of the game for spain, but i think a draw is most likely....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This is ridiculous. How the hell does Raul keep getting a game? Even at his worst, Valeron is far more effective than Raul. Surely the in-form Yeste and De La Pena deserve a game. I'm getting fed up with this..

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Dies Irae said:
Even at his worst, Valeron is far more effective than Raul.
You and I and everybody else in here know thats not true. Raul isnt having his best season but neither is Valeron who is actually having a horrible campaign just like practically the entire Depor team. Truth is, Raul actually has been performing better for la seleccion than he has for Real Madrid and this is a HUGE game, you need your most experienced players for this. The only thing im worried about is that hes just coming back from injury again nonetheless, i feel he will have a positive impact on this game :star:

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Hala Madrid said:
You and I and everybody else in here know thats not true. Raul isnt having his best season but neither is Valeron who is actually having a horrible campaign just like practically the entire Depor team. Truth is, Raul actually has been performing better for la seleccion than he has for Real Madrid and this is a HUGE game, you need your most experienced players for this. The only thing im worried about is that hes just coming back from injury again nonetheless, i feel he will have a positive impact on this game :star:
I really hope he has an impact and score a goal atleast, but he is still in a bad form, while DLP is in a good form and SHOULD start infront of Raul...

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Ok, i love De La Pena and im extremely happy for him that hes finally back to his best but come on lets not blow it out of proportion here, that was just China. A really bad team with nothing to show not to add that this was only his 2nd ever game with la seleccion and i think thats why Aragones decided to start Raul ahead of him, experience is HUGE for these kinds of games.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
it seems like both Raul and DLP will play against Serbia-Montenegro
DLP will play behind Torres and Raul will occupy Luque's position(the left flank).
i don't know if it's a good idea,Raul isn't that effective in the wing and it's more logical to put a true winger there. :rollani:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts