Xtratime Community banner

Who will qualify for WC?

421 - 440 of 443 Posts
Again, Di Biagio is the guy who fielded an Argentinian nobody called Battocchio instead of Bernardeschi, and Bianchetti, who had been the captain of under 21, but wasn't playing one minute in serie A for Empoli, instead of Romagnoli, who was always in the starting lineup of Sampdoria... what are we talking about? He ignores the ones who play at club level and then pretends his players do not have enough playing time at club level? Maybe Di Biagio should watch more serie A games?
Do I need to bring up the formidable performance of Di Biagio against the Czechs a few months ago? Two awful euro tournaments, with a pretty good team both times, and yet, somehow, Di Biagio kept the job, when a gentleman like Claudio Gentile was showed the door after winning the under 21 euro and the bronze medal in the Olympic games. THIS is what is wrong in Italy! People get and keep a job for reasons which are "obscure". Surely not the performances! Di Biagio should have lost the job in the under 21 NT and Evani should have had it, after the brilliant world cup at under 20 level.
Hear hear [emoji106]

As someone who seen the last 2 Azzurrini teams, Di Biagio is a complete and utter hack of a coach.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

for the Italia and Roma fans.

De Rossi came into Swedens player bus after the game and offered an apology for some players behavior in the first game and for the fans that jeered the national athem. Everyone among the Swedes was very impressed by this act.

Respect for De Rossi, he has some class and humility unlike Ventura.

Reactions: GaGa
Not directly related to the WC elimination, but I wanted to share a post I read elsewhere.

This makes no sense whatsoever. If the mid-table clubs can now reach safety more quickly, wouldn't that mean there would be plenty of games at the end of the championship where they would be free to experiment and play as many youngsters as they would like? Furthermore, the financial pressure of avoiding the drop is even greater in leagues like EPL but they seem to be developing young players just fine. If anything, having a greater danger of relegation should encourage the usage of veterans, not discourage it. As Toni said, Italian coaches have always been reluctant to use youngsters, I suspect the main reason for that are trigger-happy presidents like Zamparini. I don't think this is the main cause for lack of young exciting talents. It might be the cause for the lack of young players who aren't good enough for the Azzurri but are good enough for Serie A yet end up on the bench in favour of foreigners but top talents will find a way to shine, regardless if they play for big clubs or are loaned to smaller ones as msot young talents owned by big clubs are.
A rule to force each club in Serie A to have at least one under 23 year-old Italian player each game there would be at least 20 such players in Serie A each season.

Looking at the mid-table clubs (Samp, Cagliari, Sassuolo, Udinese, Chievo and Bologna) from 2016-17 between 10th and 15th positions (that did a "calm" second half of the season, cf. discussion about reducing Serie A to 18 clubs in order to increase Serie A's competitiveness), how many younger Italian players played?

- Samp: none
- Cagliari: Barella, Murru
- Sassuolo: Politano, Pellegrini, Mazzitelli, Ricci, Berardi
- Udinese: none
- Chievo: none
- Bologna: Di Francesco, Masina

Therefore, if you force each club to play at least one under 23 year-old Italian player, perhaps between them Samp, Udinese and Chievo instead of having ZERO PLAYERS they would have six (considering that if one must play they would need at least one other if they had to substitute the under 23 year-old Italian).

I think this information exemplifies how several relatively small changes - imposing an under 23 year-old Italian player rule and reducing Serie A to an 18-club division - can have a positive impact on the development of quality players available to play for the Azzurri.

The clubs should not be forced to do anything. There are not many good under 23 Italian players and I would not like my club to be weakened by the presence of an under 23 Italian player who is not good enough.

Toni i disagree - if there is such rule, the clubs will be forced to adapt - they'll keep their best italian players and at the same time try to buy those with promise from smaller club, plus if there is shortage of good players, all clubs will be weakened more or less.
At the same time such rule is unapplicable - "to have at least one under 23 year-old Italian player each game" - what should this mean - to have at least one player for all 90 minutes on the pitch? What if he got injured, should the sub be also u23 italian? And so on.

As football is all about money, maybe some economical stimuli for the clubs should be applied instead (if they arent already), like having lower taxes depending on the number of italian players registered.

This would weaken the league greatly. Juve would buy so many Italian youngsters and let them rot on the bench or on loan just to cover for a bad day. The smaller teams would be left with the serie b and c Italians.

That could be an incentive to improve scouting. Other than Toni, I doubt any of us here know how efficient Italian clubs' scouting is within Italy (I know I often sound negative about Italy (I do love the place, I assure you!), but I suspect it is not particularly efficient). I read a year or two ago that in Germany the scouting network has become so efficient that it is difficult for a talented youngster not to be identified.

Toni i disagree - if there is such rule, the clubs will be forced to adapt - they'll keep their best italian players and at the same time try to buy those with promise from smaller club, plus if there is shortage of good players, all clubs will be weakened more or less.
At the same time such rule is unapplicable - "to have at least one under 23 year-old Italian player each game" - what should this mean - to have at least one player for all 90 minutes on the pitch? What if he got injured, should the sub be also u23 italian? And so on.

As football is all about money, maybe some economical stimuli for the clubs should be applied instead (if they arent already), like having lower taxes depending on the number of italian players registered.
Good point. Given their extremely heavy reliance on TV revenue, you could offer TV revenue incentives if you play young Italians.

The clubs should not be forced to do anything. There are not many good under 23 Italian players and I would not like my club to be weakened by the presence of an under 23 Italian player who is not good enough.
By the way, there are already some rules such as the club-grown and league-grown - minimum of 4 players each in a squad of 25 - rules in Serie A, same as UEFA has for CL and EL (no nationality requirement though).

Aldair said today, "I agree with Tardelli, foreigners aren't the problem, the problem is the youth, you need to work with them in order to put them in the first team as soon as possible. In Brasile and Germania the youngsters arrive at 17-18 anni, in Italia at 20+. When I go around I see many interesting boys, but the clubs are in too much of a hurry [to get results].

Some of you guys make it seem as if the managers doesnt train the team to see who performs in the training.

If a player wants to show himself adequate than he should do so first in training. If he cant show himself there, how is he going to be much better in a game?

Yea but what's more likely? That all top 8 coaches of serie a lack quality in judging italian talent or that there arent many U23 italians that are better than their competitors?

My point is; forcing teams to field italians for the sake of it will not improve anything. I think what Italy is facing is pretty general western problem; low birthrates, more lazy kids or rather kids who prefer the comfortable things in life instead of training in the rain/wind/snow etc. Bar Belgium, almost all western countries have a "drought" when it comes to talent, imo. And Belgium may very well be a one off. This generation and thats it.

The evidence says differently and the favourites for the WC next year are Germany, Spain, France with only Brazil ranked alongside them. Other western European countries like England, Belgium and Portugal are expected to be competitive too.

Funnily enough, last season and particularly this one, there is more young Italian talent in Serie A flourishing than for the last decade or so.

All the evidence shows that providing talented youngsters are given adequate opportunities in large western European leagues, they will blossom. It is a relatively simple formula, of which playing time is an essential requirement.

No player ever realised his potential by sitting on the bench, sitting in the stands or playing in Serie B.

Please dont mention England in discussion regarding talent and competitiveness. Germany is alos a whooping 22 million bigger country. Always been of course but even in their starting eleven you can see that they are alot fewer "ethnic" germans than ever before. Same with France who has benefitted a lot from their former colonies.

You mention Brazil, who also has a drought, well compared to what they used to have. Not to mention how big brazil is and for a lot of kids, making it in football is do or die almost.

Spain has isco, asensio as the heir to their midfield. They're still living off their older generation in ramos, pique, busquets, david silva, cesc etc etc.

England has a phenomenal record in UEFA and FIFA youth competitions in the last couple of years and some of them are expected to graduate to the NT.

I don't follow your point clearly. If you are saying western European countries are experiencing talent-droughts then all of the available evidence shows otherwise.

Basically the big surges in Western Europe football talent comes from immigration, eg. france, england, germany. these countries probably integrate their immigrants better because they are better more well run societies than the likes of italy, brazil, etc (though of course italy is not as bad as brazil socially)

the differences may not really be t the football level but at a societal one

421 - 440 of 443 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.