Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully Lippi will change the attack and also give Brighi a start ahead of Palombo (or play them both even) who was pretty poor against Montenegro............I wouldn't mind giving him another chance though, but that attack, I think it has had enough chances :)

My 11 would be

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso; Brighi, Palombo, De Rossi; Pirlo; Rossi, Pazzini

With Pirlo having the same type of free role he had against Montenegro but with the extra midfielder he would be able to get forward even more

I think Lippi wil go with this though

Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso; Palombo, Pirlo, De Rossi; Iaquinta, Pepe :yuck: (with Quagliarella the first guy off the bench) :yuck:; Pazzini

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Did Pepe not assist a goal yesterday? Anyway I have faith we can gte the 3 points, but we must stay concentrated. Ireland are difficult.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did Pepe not assist a goal yesterday? Anyway I have faith we can gte the 3 points, but we must stay concentrated. Ireland are difficult.
I dont care if he had 5 assists! He should never start for Italy ahead of some of the other options who were called up and who were not called up. Its pretty simple really. We will NOT win the WC with guys like Pepe, Iaquinta, Di Natale (the best of the bunch for sure) and Quagliarella

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Maybe we wont, but Im sure some time someone said we will never win a World Cup with Iaquinta (at the time), Zaccardo, Barzagli, Materazzi, Barone and co. but we did. Pepe is hardly a bad player, he works hard and he does some good things including assisting goals.

And that said, I dont think we will even win a World Cup with Cassano right now, the team is in transition. This World Cup will have too many old or inexperienced players.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And that said, I dont think we will even win a World Cup with Cassano right now, the team is in transition. This World Cup will have too many old or inexperienced players.
Forget Cassano, Lippi also needs to start calling up other players too if we are even going to have a chance. And if we wont have a chance either way, at least build for the future by calling up some youngsters and some a little bit older to help out now, like Motta (continue to call him), Criscito, Santacroce, Santon, Giovinco, Abate, Marchisio, D'Agostino, Balotelli, Miccoli, Cassano, Floccari etc etc. Even guys like Mascara and Di Vaio should be called up before Quagliarella and Pepe

And I know some of these players are not regular starters but why should that matter with Lippi? He seems to call other players regardless of how bad their form is and regardless of how little they play (or even if they are simply not good enough)........for example, Iaquinta and Dossena, and you know many other examples can be given

Enough of this damn Lippi and friends garbage

·
Administrator
53,557 Posts
Miccoli, Cassano and Rossi are all better then the forwards that started (and two first players are players Lippi dislikes for non-football reasons), Italy's finest are NOT Udinese players...

I'm glad for Pazzini's good start, and Iaquinta is good enough to be called up, and Di Natale too, but they arent starting material. I wouldnt even call up Quag and Pepe at all. Especially playing Quag in the wing was ****ing clueless, he is worthless there, better centrally, but still not NT material.

If Miccoli and Cassano have no hope, then call up the younger generation, the opponents arent challenging at all, so there is room to experiment.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Santon has played maybe 15? Senior games in his career. There is no way he should be called already even if he is a great young player. There is only room for 1 yong defender and Bocchetti got it, mainly because of the excellent form he has shown with Genoa this season at CB. Criscito is the LWB in that team at the moment so obviously Lippi preferred to choose Bocchetti for now. I think Marchisio may have been injured? Not sure on that. Abate? No way. Pepe is better than him for now. D'Agostino? Well its either him or Montolivo. Of course as 'Marcello Lippi' (the poster) said, up until a year ago everyone wanted Montolivo called. Now he is hardly showing his best form we want him turfed to hell. Of course every team will have players that isnt called that people think should be called, but anyway, Lippi is a great manager, he will get it right eventually (and so far is hardly doing bad in his 2nd spell).

Everyone is not NT material, but when they are not in the NT they are definitely NT material. Watching some games of Cassano I could say for Italy he is not NT material. Against Spain for example, he was invisible. Partially for the tactics employed, but also because he tactically was not good for Italy in that game. However he also has very good games. In the end only 23 are normally called. Lippi can not call the whole of Serie A. Quagliarella and Pepe indeed may not be the best players and technically not even better than Miccoli or Cassano, but they give something to Lippi that he clearly sees, otherwise he would not call them. Nor would Donadoni have called Quags also. Nor would Udinese spend so much for him. Nor would bigger clubs also be interested. However I would agree he should not be played wide, but again, he does a job tactically there not only in the offense, when he is used.

·
Administrator
53,557 Posts
Abate is not even good enough to start for Torino, so indeed no way. And yes, Marchisio is injured. D'Agostino is a so-so choice. I would stick with Monto, even if he is awful right now. But I generally agree with the rest, though how can someone have puke smiley on Iaquinta, and then want Floccari, when Iaquinta is the better player.

But yeah, getting annoyed with the Udinese love fest.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Yes and in the times I have seen Lippi call a completely new squad, we have hardly ever won.

0-0 v Iceland
1-0 v Finland
1-1 v Serbia
1-1 v Ecuador

I think we need some perspective here. Balotelli, Giovinco, Miccoli, Cassano, Rossi and co. can't all be called. Not at the moment. Anyway I like Pepe, he isnt technically as gifted, but he does alot of hard work and above all thats what Italy need is hard workers, because we are not a possession team. I am hoping Rossi can get into the team very soon and it will be Rossi and Toni in attack, with Pepe doing his work on the right until Camoranesi gets well again (if he gets well again) or until Giovinco is ready, but even then if he has to play then the balance is shit.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Don't think we should assume this is going to be our team going into the 2010 WCup! Not that he is the total answer, but Toni was injured, and I just think Lippi has called up who he believes is in good form. However, Lippi seems to have this troubling insistence on Pepe, who despite his decent showing last night, is jsut not national team material. I would choose the hot-headed but extremely talented Balotelli, another disagreement I have with Lippi. I've always supported DiNatale from attacks in this forum, but he, too, could be replaced. Like Iaquinta on the squad, he's very versatile and shows anger.
Also agree that it is going to be almost impossible to repeat as champions. But for now, Lippi should concentrate on the qualifying, and we're moving in the right direction. In retrospect, this round of qualifying - at Montenegro and against Ireland, could determine our fate. I'm happy to see Pirlo playing at his best, and I hope for the best against a difficult Irish opponent. I then would like to see Lippi build some chemistry and consistency into the squad as the march toward defending our crown commences. I believe, unfortunately, that he may depend too much on the 2006 champions, and he needs to start integrating some new ones, but let's see what happens at Confederations Cup and over the next year. I certainly won't blindly support Lippi for his success in 06, but I'll judge him on what he plans for the future.

·
Administrator
53,557 Posts
I'm not saying all can or should be called up, frankly I dont mind Miccoli not getting called up if it means Cassano, Rossi or Giovinco being called up (I see these 3 as best future choices). Miccoli is too hot and cold for me and I find him overrated.

But when I see Quag getting called up (playing as a wide forward, not prima punta), Pepe, and this lost version of Di Natale (he is not really as he used to be), then I wonder, why not him (or Balotelli, or Giovinco, even if both arent quite ready yet, they are still better then these), he is the very least superior to the first two, and similar to Di Natale. Who I allways supported as a NT player, but he is a shadow of his former self. He wasnt starter material to begin with, but now he is playing like he isnt even worthy of a call up.

I understand these dude were starting, or some even called up because of the several injuries, but I am afraid these average guys will still be around regardless.

·
Registered
18,436 Posts
Stop mentioning Balotelli, he is even more nuts than Cassano. The reason for Quagliarella and Peppe >>> Rossi, Giovinco is the work on the wings. Giovinco had a few good games but it's not enough to say he is more mature than those guys. Maturity is what Lippi is looking for when he wants a winger to play two-ways, work hard, and do exactly what he tells them to do. Maturity will also help the player make good decisions on the pitch and I don't think Giovinco is regulating his risks well yet or ready for this level when the rest of the team is crap up front. Also if you start players too early you burn them.

Personally I was happy Pazzini scored because we need alternatives to Gilardino and Toni who are both snails with no movement. If Pazzini is the same, well at least we have more to choose from.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Abate is not even good enough to start for Torino, so indeed no way. And yes, Marchisio is injured. D'Agostino is a so-so choice. I would stick with Monto, even if he is awful right now. But I generally agree with the rest, though how can someone have puke smiley on Iaquinta, and then want Floccari, when Iaquinta is the better player.

But yeah, getting annoyed with the Udinese love fest.
I was NOT saying all of those players should be called up, definitely not. I was just using them as examples and pointing them out as better options than some of the players Lippi does call up.

About Abate, he starts every game for Torino. With that being said, I still would NOT call him up to the national team (by the way, he has something like a 6.32 rating by Gazzetta, and has been one of, if not, Torino's best player) I was just using him as an example of the options that we have that would be better at RM than guys like Pepe and Quagliarella. Marchisio was called up to the U21, so I dont think he is injured.

Abnout Iaquinta. I cant STAND seeing this guy play on the right wing of a 4-3-3 which is why I put the puke smiley, I hope Lippi doesn't go with that attack that I predicted (I was kind of joking but it is a possible formation) against Ireland..........By the way, even at striker, as we saw lastr night, he was crap, but with better service I think he can be useful as a striker for the NT coming off the bench

·
Registered
48,463 Posts
Pepe played very well against Montenegro, but I agree that Lippi made an error in judgement by playing Quagliarella wide, he is a very good player but a central forward.
This is an error he inherited. Novellino started this crap when he was the coach of Sampdoria. He had to make room to Flachi and Bazzani, no matter whether they were past it and he had to keep all the three players in his usual 4-4-2, so he thought to move Quagliarella to the right flank of the midfield. Unfortunately Quagliarella scored a few beautiful goals in that position, even if he was far less effective than as a "seconda punta", his natural position, so Donadoni called him up as an option for the right wing position. Unfortunately Q. scored a brace to Lithuania starting from that position and the error was consolidated.
Marino was wise enough to understand that in his 4-3-3 Quagliarella could just play in the middle (even if he is not a center forward either) and soon inverted the positions of Pepe and Quagliarella.
So, two coaches of the NT did not get what for Marino was obvious. More, while it is acceptable that the coach of a club puts a player out of his fav position, it's absurd that the coach of the Italian NT is forced to put Quagliarella on the left flank (not just on a flank, but even on the wrong one!) when another player gets injured.

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
Lets all just relax. Its not like these players will go to wc 2010. Its still very early.

I also dont like this udinese players favoritism but if i recall Lippi also used to have Palermo players favoritism during the wc06 qualification campaign.

In the end only Grosso made it to starting XI.

Seconly:http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=241030

how could Lippi call up Santon or Gio if they are already called up for u21 holland match? :confused:

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
On the other hand, if Lippi stubornly keeps calling the udinese trio then i "hope" he will see the true value of those players in confederation cup. If things go very wrong there then i expect Lippi to make drastical changes, beside the media will be all over him then.

Lets just hope that the kids actually get regular playing time for their clubs first. Saying that Lippi should call up balo instead of quagliarella just because the first is a better player is not the way. Balo is a brat, he needs to improve his attitude and behavior. Your supposed to earn your callup, not act like primadonna and get the call up, just think how that would inspire other players? aka i worked so hard, yet he picked that puberty kid with issues against everyone.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Anyway Pepe was possibly one of our best players in the game. Quagliarella was less so, but the worst was Iaquinta anyway.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.