Xtratime Community banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I guess now its down to basically..........

Greece beating Latvia and Israel winning Switzerland?

and us beating Moldova.....and the 7 extra points we put on Goal Differences should help us...

:) PEOPLE!! DAVEN!!

PURGER - GO TO THE SERBIA ORTHADOX CHURCH AND PRAY FOR YOUR SAINTS IN ISRAEL :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Damn, I put 6-0 in my prediction ... Did we really need that 7th goal? :D Great result, must boost the confidence even if it was against Luxembourg. And equally important: the scores in the other two games are just perfect. Only a Swiss win would have been better because they seem to run away with 1st spot anyway, but with neither Latvia nor Greece progressing a lot the chances are still there. I´d say the best result now is a draw in Greece-Latvia and then it comes down to Israel winning in Switzerland which by then hopefully will be qualified and fielding a reserve team. I´d say a 6/6 should normally guarantee the play-off spot.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Kind words from our Norwegian-Belgian friend :)

Kashtan needs to fix up his team for Moldova...have a good game like we did here and then see you all in Zurich..

whos coming? :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
the hope is alive! but i'm a bit pissed, we should have beat latvia. With the results of greece and switzerland we could have even taken 1st in the group if we beat the swiss at their home as well. I really really pray that we make it to second, but i learned long ago that i keep my hopes up but stay pessimistic with the israel nt.

Regardless, sahar deserves to start every match, i watched where he places himself and he knows exactly where to stand. He's a very cool finisher...a true goal pocher and he can put in the ball with no **** ups. Omer golan, with all respect to the easy goal he had with a great assist from barda, is not a true striker, ****ing up that one on one with the keeper (where benayoun was then stopped by the ref for "kicking his hand") just shows how the guy shouldn't get called up. Also, I wouldn't mind calling up tamuz and atar for the match against moldova.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Omer Golan fumbles..

i hope they get Coalluti back again....he has a few rounds and then he can impress before we head into October...

·
Registered
397 Posts
ירוק OLE!;7323249 said:
the hope is alive! but i'm a bit pissed, we should have beat latvia. With the results of greece and switzerland we could have even taken 1st in the group if we beat the swiss at their home as well. I really really pray that we make it to second, but i learned long ago that i keep my hopes up but stay pessimistic with the israel nt.

Regardless, sahar deserves to start every match, i watched where he places himself and he knows exactly where to stand. He's a very cool finisher...a true goal pocher and he can put in the ball with no **** ups. Omer golan, with all respect to the easy goal he had with a great assist from barda, is not a true striker, ****ing up that one on one with the keeper (where benayoun was then stopped by the ref for "kicking his hand") just shows how the guy shouldn't get called up. Also, I wouldn't mind calling up tamuz and atar for the match against moldova.

So true, I totally agree with you.

Israel could have come 1st or 2nd place if Israel defeated Lativa in two games and tied with Greece in away game or defeated Switzerland in home game.

DAMN!!!!!!

Lets hope that Israel will reach 2nd place.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
So true, I totally agree with you.

Israel could have come 1st or 2nd place if Israel defeated Lativa in two games and tied with Greece in away game or defeated Switzerland in home game.

DAMN!!!!!!

Lets hope that Israel will reach 2nd place.
you know there are so many things we SHOULD have done, but for sure we should have beat latvia in both home and away and we would have seen a secure 2nd place especially with the poor results greece and switzerland are producing. If we pushed just a bit more we could have even found first easily...what a shame, i hope there is still hope for us.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
:) PEOPLE!! DAVEN!!

PURGER - GO TO THE SERBIA ORTHADOX CHURCH AND PRAY FOR YOUR SAINTS IN ISRAEL :)
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daven!

do you guys understand that a tie between greece and latvia can be very very possible. Listen, it sucks that we depend on other matches, but with our preferred goal difference if these two teams tie next month then its all in our hands, and I think that we can beat the swiss in basel!

Its like that greek guy who posted here said, no team has really done anything in this group. We need to do just this one thing and pray that these two teams are so hungry for victory that they will balance out eachother. Call it crazy hope, and maybe it is, but its possible. I'm sure the greeks will stop ****ing around though, and they'll want to secure things against latvia so i'm cheering for latvia to come ready for this one.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Israel: The World Champions of the meaningless games.

Once again we proved that we are experts in winning and playing very well games with no pressure.
Of course as a loyal fan i will always support and hope for the miracles, but by one side i am happy that we overcame really well the Latvia game, but also i am a bit pissed off that we received "gifts" from our main contenders, Greece and Switzerland, and we are still needing combined results. This also leads for Latvia being with chances.

We had the perfect group to make history once again, the opponents made their mistakes, but we incredibly, but as usual manage to somehow miss it.

I will cheer until the end, a tie between Greece and Latvia like you guys said is very possible and the goal difference might be the issue here, at least we did a good job in scoring 7 past Luxembourg.
But don´t forget we need to beat Moldova at home (don´t forget since we got a chance, the pressure has returned and we might screw up again) and especially we will have to beat Switzerland away.

Kashtan, if you want to redeem yourself this is your chance, play smartly, offensive, you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is what happens when israel has no pressure and I think the minnows really want us to qualify, they beat and draw swiss and greece, but lose to us.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Well, it has to be said, Israel has maybe a more fragile defense than the Greeks and Swiss but Israel also has a far better frontline. Barda, Benayoun, Sahar, Colautti (if called up) are guys who know how to get the ball into the net ... The power in the front may be the reason why the minnows leave Ramat Gan with an embarrassing scoreline, as the more fragile defense doesn´t matter against Luxembourg in the same way as it matters against for example Switzerland or Greece. This is why I said from the very start that the group is tight and Israel must use its goalscoring power to assure a goal difference good enough to make the playoffs in case of equal points.

Also, Luxembourg already collected 5 points I believe and won their first away game in over 20 years ... Their campaign was a success already so they had nothing left to win or lose in Ramat Gan, this 7-0 won´t be remembered by their fans, that 1-2 victory in Switzerland will be.

Maybe I´m a bit too hard on those guys but I´d consider Latvia somewhat of a minnow too, not in the same degree as Liechtenstein or the Faroes or Luxembourg but still ... It is frustrating to drop points against such a team. Of all those old USSR republics, only Ukraine and Russia really mean something in football terms, all others haven´t achieved anything special (Latvia once qualified but I´d dare to say it was a one hit wonder). If you look at Estonia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Lithuania ... they collect their points every campaign but never really threat the big teams and never come close to qualifying. Against such teams, it´s frustrating to drop points but luckily we see they take points from Switzerland and Greece as well. I saw Estonia play against Spain live on TV yesterday and they IMO represent the average old Soviet republics´ teams: a lot of good will and determination, they play decently and you cannot underestimate them, but in the end they lose and don´t come close to qualifying. The same goes for all those old USSR states except for Ukraine and Russia - if the USSR were still existing it would be a team full of Russians and Ukrainians with maybe 1 or 2 guys from another part of the union. Maybe I´m a bit too hard on Latvia, they´re a decent team, but still I don´t see them qualify.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
ירוק OLE!;7324177 said:
Sorry guys, don't know how to put videos, but the highlights are here on ONE
Here you go..........friend....

[tub]GAC0Qc3stAw[/tub]

Highlights: Israel vs. Luxemborg

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
ירוק OLE!;7324177 said:
Maybe I´m a bit too hard on those guys but I´d consider Latvia somewhat of a minnow too, not in the same degree as Liechtenstein or the Faroes or Luxembourg but still ... It is frustrating to drop points against such a team. Of all those old USSR republics, only Ukraine and Russia really mean something in football terms, all others haven´t achieved anything special (Latvia once qualified but I´d dare to say it was a one hit wonder). If you look at Estonia, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Lithuania ... they collect their points every campaign but never really threat the big teams and never come close to qualifying. Against such teams, it´s frustrating to drop points but luckily we see they take points from Switzerland and Greece as well. I saw Estonia play against Spain live on TV yesterday and they IMO represent the average old Soviet republics´ teams: a lot of good will and determination, they play decently and you cannot underestimate them, but in the end they lose and don´t come close to qualifying. The same goes for all those old USSR states except for Ukraine and Russia - if the USSR were still existing it would be a team full of Russians and Ukrainians with maybe 1 or 2 guys from another part of the union. Maybe I´m a bit too hard on Latvia, they´re a decent team, but still I don´t see them qualify.
Like I said...Eastern European countries and newly formed nations after 1992 have proven to be difficult for Israel and UEFA over the past few years. Money has been coming in and coaches have been arriving as well. Players have gone abroad just like in Israel and they are now reaching high stages of Champions Leauge and UEFA. Teams like Shaktar Donestk and FC Sherrif remind us that the same fashion that we want to succeed is already done in the former soviet union.

I think its inevitable to say that in the future, we will have a tough time with the baltics/balkan and caucaus states for a chance in UEFA/EURO...but dont confuse yourselves...we will have atleast one of those teams in most of our qualifications. I dont see any way around that...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
True, but the likes of Azerbaijan, Armenia, Estonia or Kazakhstan should IMO not be any problem and thus not be feared. Not at this point anyway. The potential is there, but these nations will need time to fully get there. Right now, Israel has nothing to fear against any former Soviet state IMO except Russia or Ukraine. Which makes the Latvia results really sour, because with all respect, this is a rather average team that is just in the race because neither Israel, Switzerland and Greece have been consistent in their own performances.

And sure, on a good night Azerbaijan or Moldova can grasp points against anyone. Yesterday the Faroe Islands also won a game, Luxembourg beat Switzerland earlier on, Liechtenstein kept Finland at a draw, ... But as long as a nation gets one succes every 5 years or so, you cannot consider them in any other way than being a minnow. I´m sure San Marino will also get a win sooner or later, that doesn´t mean they are suddenly a side to be feared.

So I agree there is no way around the teams from the former East Bloc being on the calendar, but as long as it ain´t Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic and maybe Romania I would not fear any of those. Not sure about Belarus, I got the feeling football there is finally developping, look at what BATE is doing and look at Alex Hleb even getting a spot in the selection of Barca...

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Cracked you touched in a very intresting point. From this group Israel has the best frontline. We have plenty of options and even players who weren´t called up like Collauti, Arbeitman, Atar, Shechter, Ben Shushan etc....
We have scored 17 goals until now and the tendency is to increase this after the Moldova match (they will have to so if they still want some hope to qualify).

Our defense was never our best point, it isn´t very solid, but i don`t think they are crap. As a matter a fact i think Keinan and Ben Haim are good defenders. Our problem is not player materail, but a system as a whole.
Meaning that a defensive system starts upfront, with the forwards trying to mark the opposing defenders in order to make the ball don´t reach the creative players. We might do that, but not well.
Defending doesn´t resume only at the back four line, it is all the team. Israeli players receive some lessons about this, but it is not something well worked at youth and therefore it is difficult to put this as a routine.

And of course, set pieces. We always had problems with it. I believe half of our goals were conceded that way. Keepers don´t go out to well to catch the ball on corners and defenders stay watching the ball instead of watching the player.

Today dead ball situations is more and more a detail that makes the difference and details is what has made us always be so close, but never to qualify.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts