Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do u think italy has the chance to be a strong side (as usual) for the next worldcup!!
Are we going to depend on Totti & only totti?
Do we have any chance of winning the trophy.. We waited too much, i think its our turn now!

·
Registered
46,535 Posts
HB21 said:
Do u think italy has the chance to be a strong side (as usual) for the next worldcup!!
Are we going to depend on Totti & only totti?
Do we have any chance of winning the trophy.. We waited too much, i think its our turn now!
Well, we won the 3rd world cup after 44 years so maybe it is not our turn again.
We have one of the best if not the best goalie in the world (Buffon), one of the best if not the best left back (Zambrotta) and one of the best if not the best centerbacks duo (Nesta-Cannavaro). Then we have two world level n.10(Totti an Cassano) and two forwards who can be deadly (Gilardino and Montella). Unfortunately behind these players we are rather average and the recent results of the NT confirm this, so, unless some new players appear, it will be rather difficult.
Right now in my opinion we are surely worse than Brazil and Argentina and probably even worse than England and Spain. But what is worrying is that we showed that we can lose to opponents who are much worse than us on the paper.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with u
But don't u guys feel that we r missing sth
our players are great, to add lets not forget Pirlo, great playmaker with amazing passing abilities, esposito seems good also, and who knows in the comming 2 yrs many players have the chance to even develop more like Blasi for ex..
But although i support the AZZURI from all my heart, i don't know why we always loose like this.. Its heart breaking to have such deadly exits from the last 3 WCs we played in..
Why we always count more on defence, i know its our strongest line, but i think we can be more dangerous if we find the equation to mix strong defence with Attack!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe lippi has sth in mind!
I hope so..
I didn't like the fact that we won 4-3 against Belarus..
Azzuri rarely let 3 goals in.. & despite that lippi seemed satisfied after the match.. maybe bcz totti did great??
Well i think we r counting too much on Totti, I LOVE HIM, but we shouldn't be dependent on him, he's already 28!!
Maybe Cassano-Gilardino would make the dream comes true, we really need such thing to recover our hearts :(

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
We also have pirlo and Gattuso who if in the correct formation can be good.

I said previously that Italy is not Milan in terms of style, but I am willing to take my statement back.

A 4-3-2-1 is the best way to go... Cassano-Totti behind Gila, A midfield of Pirlo, Gattuso and Maresca or De Rossi. A defence of Nesta-Cannavaro-Zambrotta and someone, at the moment Zaccardo, but hopefully someone comes through/improves for RB in the next 1 year and a half. Goalie of course Buffon

That team in paper is not so crappy, world cup winners? maybe not, but luck is also involved. No NT has great team apart from Brazil and Argentina IMO. Spain have a classy team but suffer in WC and England have a class team but like us have never found the right balance. Plus Gerrard and Lampard individually are good but for England they screw up because they are not a correct pertnership, both play the same way and even if Gerrard can defend, he attacks more like Lampard.

Our back up can be worrying, but then the players we have can be reliable if nothing special.

One thing we need to win a world cup, Cannavaro to stop getting suspended in major tournaments :)

BTW, 8 world class top level players is more than enough, I can only think of maybe 4 other nations which can say they have 8 top level of the game players like Buffon, Pirlo, Gattuso, Totti, Nesta, Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Cassano, not forgetting Gila of course to hopefully be the 9th by world cup 2002 and with the progression of others in 2 years also.

Befor e I have stressed the fact of how worrying our players are and how we have had better players in the past, but that is football as a whole. Not many nations can say they are so much better than this quite poor Italy team in comparison to others.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I believe we stand a great chance(if we qualify that is). Only Brazil are the real opposition as we are on a similar level as the rest of the competition, by the WC alot of our main players should of matured by somewhat. We have the best goalkeeper, best left back and the best defensive combination at the back in the world, but that should be expected after all we are Italia it's what we are famous for. As for the rest of the team, by 06 Bonera should of cemented his place at right back ( A player that can actually defend in that position). Our midfield is actually quite strong if you think about the talent available with the likes of Gattuso, Pirlo, Perrotta, De Rossi, Montovilo to mention some. Then with the attack of Totti, Cassano and Gilagol, we should definitely be pushing to make a good attempt at winning it.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Montolivo and Aquilani are quality and by June 2006 who knows, but maybe it is too soon to mention them. I know you didnt mention Aquilani, but I will :D

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I like Aquilani, very technical and with a good nose for a goal. Reminds me of Riquelme back in his Boca days.
I followed him in the course of the last two years and I believe he has the potential to push Pirlo out of the deep playmaker position if Roma sell/loan him to a smaller club where he can shine like Montolivo at Atalanta or Meghni at Bologna.
Therefore my perfect midfield for 2006 would be:
Marchionni---Blasi---Aquilani---Maresca​

But with Lippi in charge we can expect something like this:
Camoranesi---Gattuso---De Rossi---Zambrotta​

We shall see if he has success with it. I doubt it.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Deano said:
Montolivo and Aquilani are quality and by June 2006 who knows, but maybe it is too soon to mention them. I know you didnt mention Aquilani, but I will :D
I was gonna, but wasn't sure of the reaction.

The future's bright, the future's Roman :D

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Deano said:
I was gonna, but wasn't sure of the reaction I would get.

The future's bright, the future's Roman :D

·
Registered
46,535 Posts
We absolutely need at least one top class midfielder, two would be better.
I don't think that the Italian midfielders who are around now are really top class.
Gattuso can't pass and whoever says that he has improved from a technical point of view did not watch Sampdoria-Milan this year: not one decent pass.
Ok, he runs 90 minutes on 90, he struggles,... but in a World Cup midfielders with decent technique are needed. Pirlo on the contrary is very skilled but he is so weak sometimes! Perrotta and Zanetti are two good defensive midfielders but nothing more. Maresca... he has the both technical and physical qualities and indeed that (potentially unfortunately) makes Maresca the best and most complete midfielder we have, together with De Rossi, who seems to me a bit worse than Maresca, but has been able to express his potentialites. Aquilani in my opinion is average and will never be anything good.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
ma! Italia e sempre Italia, forza la azurri!!!!..jejje you have a great team, only have to be more agressive, and solve some primadonna issues, in an indoor way that doesn't mean to ban a problematic, but talented player like Cassano for instance, just the meetings necessary to unite at least the group for one gold: the Cup, then everyone to his house.....but anyway don' t even dare to blow my possible dream of Roman-Aimar, I will not forgive you!!!!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Aquilani never NT level untill...even he isn"t impressed in roma.
Montolivo also never NT level he need much growth

i hope 4-3-2-1
-------------------Gila
--------Cassano-------------Totti
--Maresca or Derossi-pirlo---Gatuso
--Zambro---Canna--Nesta---??
-----------------Buffon

???---->
Oddo:has good offensive ability&crossing but weak on defence
Zacardo or Mesto need growth
And Chiellini very impressed in fiorentina.
Zambo can move RB

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So uptill now we all agree that :
Buffon--> GK
Zambrotta-LB
Canna-CB
Nasta-CB
either Zaccardo/Oddo or others as RB
Pirlo should be a starter
De rossi as well- great quality with more time to develop
Maresca-- very impressive midfielder
Gattuso-- we all agree he's physically great, but technically ??
others-- Perrotta, Zanetti
& i would add Blasi-- great physically & sometimes technically :)

In front we ve got TOTTI-CASSANO-GILA-- amazing!!
its good..

I think Aquilani is GREAT!! & he s got the chance to get more & more experience, hopefully they ll trust him ;)
Montolivo should be considered as well-- Amazing potential
BEST HOPES FOR CHIELLINI as well

So some defects we need to repair:
1. a RB of quality-- we don't need mistakes such as Pannucci's in 2002 (with all my respect to christian)
2. Strong /Fast defensive midfielders, at least 2
3. WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR STYLE!! not totally, but every championship we go to we got such qualities, but on the field WHAT IS EXACTLY OUR PROBLEM??!!

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
HB21 said:
So some defects we need to repair:
1. a RB of quality-- we don't need mistakes such as Pannucci's in 2002 (with all my respect to christian)
2. Strong /Fast defensive midfielders, at least 2
3. WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR STYLE!! not totally, but every championship we go to we got such qualities, but on the field WHAT IS EXACTLY OUR PROBLEM??!!
1. Daniele Bonera, problem sorted. RB/CB
2. Perrota, De Rossi
3. The manager's resistent to go all out attack when needed.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Interista said:
1. Daniele Bonera, problem sorted. RB/CB
Bonera is poor at going forward, you would need an extra winger in front of him to put some life into the right side. Someone like Marchionni.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
The quality of the roster aint bad, like most of you have already stated... sure, RB is pathetic, even the German NT has more valueable alternatives there than Italy. Bonera, Oddo please...

However I dont think Italy will play an important role at the next WC...

I'd say quarters maybe. Not because the roster wont be strong enough, not cause the other teams would be unbeatable (which team besides Brazil looks unbeatable on the paper? And as long as they play RJ, Juan and Co in central defense, there will always be hope for the opponent :tongue: )

The problem will be, as it has been now for years, in the head... team spirit, heart, the will to suffer for the sake of the team, to run for your teammate.

Mental strength, that's it as well, visible at their miserable failure whenever it counts (last mins goals, pen shootouts).

****ed up primadonnas that care more about their hairdo than the azzurro jersey, self-centred pricks. I got sick of them in recent years.

I will support them again in two years, in Germany, but I am so damn pretty sure that I will be, like millions of other fans, let down by their display again.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
You see, guys, isnt it plainly obvious by now that in 21st century football, the argument of "we have a great team with so much talent so we have a good chance to win" is no longer valid on a practical level? Haven't we learned anything from Greece?

We can have a shite team for all we care. The Azzurri attack might well be lead by Giuseppe Sculli and Igor Protti and we'll still be as capable as Brazil with eleven Ronaldinhos of winning it. So all these theoretical arguments die a natural death.. every team who makes it to the Finals will have as good a chance of lifting the trophy as any other. So I'll never rule ourselves out, even when we will have Matrix marshalling the defence and Trap back as coach.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts