Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's already a thread like this in the WC forum, but I think here it will probably get more posts, and besides this is its right place too. Anyways... let's discuss our first game in the World Cup. How do you think we can perform?

Spain is a better team than Slovenia, we have many world class players, but our team ususally plays behind its true potential. I personally think Slovenia will be the 2nd to qualify in this group, they're good. I predict a 3-1 for us!:)

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Its time to rise up to our full potential. We have a great group of players that are among the best in the world and i believe if we get out of our 'jinxed' first round, we can go a long way.

Come on La Furia, make us happy for once :fero:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
From what Ive heard Slovenia are a defensive side so we may struggle. I hope we start playing at a good pace and put thm under pressure from the start rather than at a comfortable tempo whereby the minutes just tick and tick and tick away. We need to get off to a good start and I hope we do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spain has no chance of winning this game. Really. I am very suprised that your national players did't watch Slovenia's last let's say 10 games. That is why you suffer on big turnaments. Your Real and barca players need reallity check and they get one on every tournament

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
spain are in the world cup and yugoslavia arnt, get over it.

well the strike partnership is raul-tristan:eekani:

if we could get it to work that would be amazing.

of course im not keen on the two center backs but maybe they will play helguera there

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Another 48 hours to go, and than we will see! It's going to be a tough one, Spain are favourites, but we are not without chances! We will certainly do whatever it takes to win!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yu-Slo--> said:
Spain has no chance of winning this game. Really. I am very suprised that your national players did't watch Slovenia's last let's say 10 games. That is why you suffer on big turnaments. Your Real and barca players need reallity check and they get one on every tournament
It's a nonsense saying Spain " has no chance of winning this game". If you look at most of Spanish supporters you'd see that we respect Slovenia a lot and we know it won't be easy, but sure, we are better and we should win. Of course, everything is possible (France just lost against Senegal :eek:)

BTW... Real and Barça players? you mean Real, Barça, Valencia and Depor players (and from other teams too)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Yu-Slo--> said:
No chance. I think your the one that needs a reality check. Spain respect Slovenia, but to say that we have no chance of winning is pure dumb. I'm sure we will struggle, since we always do in the first game, but I'm sure Spain can close down Slovenia once they find their stride. My prediction is either 1-0 or 2-1 for Spain.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
the real test for Spain will come from Paraguay
dont fool yourself Slovenia cant compete with Spain
cause they dont have the players, nor tradition, and
resourses to achieve the task, while Paraguay tight defense
of Ayala, Gamarra and Chila plus a well known Cattanaccio coach
in Cesare Maldini will give Spain a real headache
So mark your calendars, this will tell us if Spain this year is ready
to show the world their full potential.

My group prediction

Spain
Paraguay
Slovenia
S. Afrika

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
This game is basically 'they game'. We know that we have never won an opener in at least 50 years, we know this is our haunting ghost. If we get it off our back, it will be like a 500 pound brick, and another 500 to go. But we do have things on our side;

1)France lost to Senegal; it shows that the best can be beat and we wanna show we are better than the best.

2) We have played Slovenia in a tournie before, AND BEAT THEM!

3) The climate. They don't have those mountains on your National flag for nothing, it's freezing in your country and most of our players can adjust easier than you guys.

All in all, we must win this game, it will steer us in our direction.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Balaja injured? will Mendieta on?

lucky Slovenia not Senegal.we are familiar with them.the franch contingency should be happened again.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Probable line up for Spain:

________________Casillas________________

___Puyol____Hierro_____Nadal______J.Fran

______________Baraja_______________

___L.Enrique___________________De Pedro

______________Valeron_____________

_________Raul___________Tristan

Looks good with the exeption of Nadal partnering Hierro and the unexperienced De Pedro. Other than that, the seleccion looks good.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
where's Hulguera?

and the mid defenders is still worrying.:(

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
First half opinion....

Not a very good first half, LE21 and De Pedro have been the best and of course the goal by Raúl was magnificent (the way he leaned back before he struck it).

I like the agressiveness Spain are showing, looks like Camacho has instructed them to play it rough :fero: The defence is organized but not coherent (sounds like iam contradicting myself). It looks like they dont know eachother and dont know how to cover eachother up, all they know is to keep their position.

Good saves by Casillas already, but always makes me :nervous: when a cross comes in....

1-0 is a result we can be happy with. :)

Lets hope Valéron can give us some magic and that Tristan bags a few (got him as top scorer of the WC :D ).

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Slovenia were unlucky, they outplayed Spain for long stretches, the ref robbed them of 2 penalties(gave a yellow to Cimerotic :rolleyes: ) and then whistled a non-existant penalty at the expense of Slovenia. That was not a penalty, no way. This ref should be disqualified.

Spain, though, played a solid game with a couple of lapses. The middle preformed well and the attack was solid. The 3rd goal could have just as easily come from Morientes, but he missed a great chance.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
mixed emotions!

I was very happy to see that Spain got the first game win!
I wanted to wake up and watch the game live but it started at 6:30am and I was up late trying to stay awake and watch the Argetina v. Nigeria...fell sleep 5 min into the game.

I say WC 2006 should be played in the western hemisphere!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: mixed emotions!

It was quite a scrappy game but i must say, i really liked Raul's dummy which led to him scoring.. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Re: First half opinion....

Micke said:
I like the agressiveness Spain are showing, looks like Camacho has instructed them to play it rough :fero:

the team is still not as tough as i hope.:( Puyol strengthened us but he likes to support attack thats why we always see him run fast to cover back.Balaja supply a gap sometimes.frankly i rarely saw the 2 sweepers did effectively.:( or i missed some parts?

and Che,i think your euro fans have got used without no time distance to watch world cup.:D but for asian,we must stay up late every 4 years.:( this time is only once.:tongue:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Re: First half opinion....

laoer said:
and Che,i think your euro fans have got used without no time distance to watch world cup.:D but for asian,we must stay up late every 4 years.:( this time is only once.:tongue:
You can definitely say that agen! :D

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think the match was ok. Keep in mind that we haven´t won an opening match in the World Cup for ages before this one. Of course this was an phsycological aspect that the players had in their head when they run out on the pitch. De Pedro really suprised me in this match. I´ve always before conciderd him to be a good left-winger, but only in the league not the international stage. But he really proved me wrong, and that pass to the goal by Valerón was really superb. Valerón proberly did his best match in the NT shirt. Nice to see! Baraja did a good job in midfield too. The central defence looked solid aswell, which could be because we played against a very poor side. Anyway we can all expect more from Tristán and Raúl in the future matches. Keep it up!

BTW, isn´t Romero more solid than Juanfran in the NT?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts