Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks like we got a clear indication of where Oliveira is going with the World Cup roster. The U-21 roster for the upcoming Euro Championships was announced today. 2 things stick out: 1) Hugo Viana was included in the roster (though he never has played for the U-21s) and 2) the U-21 captain, Marco Caneira, was left off the roster.

I think it's safe to say that Caneira can book a seat on the plane to Korea, while the boy-wonder will have to wait till 2004 to shine. I am little disappointed, but I was also expecting this to happen since he really didn't stand out in any of his NT appearances. The progress he has made in the last 7 months is amazing, but he just isn't entirely ready for that next level.

As for the rest of the roster, this brings up a few insteresting questions:

1) Without Viana, who will back-up Rui Costa? Could this possibly open up a slot for Dani?? Or will Oliveira bring a 3rd Center Forward, i.e. Joao Tomas?

2) If I were Beto, Meira, Vidigal, Xavier, or Frechaut, I would be very worried. With Caneira on the roster, that means at least 1, if not 2, of the guys I mentioned won't be making the trip. This could be 11 long days for these guys!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the U-21 Roster for the European Championships:

GK: Márcio Santos, Sérgio Leite, Ivo
D: Jorge Ribeiro,Tonel,Briguel,Paulo Ferreira,Vasco Faísca,Bruno Alves
M:Ednilson, Miguel e Tiago,Hugo Viana,Bosingwa, Alhandra,Neca,Filipe Teixeira,Pedro Mendes
F:Cândido Costa, Paulo Costa, Hélder Postiga,Semedo

6 Porto players and 4 Benfica players are the roster! Besides Caneira, there were a few more notable exceptions: Peixoto and Hugo Leal are injured, Quaresma will be playing with the U-19 in their Euro Championship qualifers, and I have no idea why Makukula was not selected.

Probably line-up: (4-3-3)

-----------------------Sergio Leite-------------------------
-Paulo Ferreira-----Tonel---Vasco Faisca------Jorge Ribeiro
-----------------Ednilson----------Tiago--------------------
----------------------Hugo Viana---------------------------
--Candido Costa----Helder Postiga-----Miguel---------

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Ahh..... The future of the Portuguese NT. We'll be seeing some of those players in Germany 2006, hopefully.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Penguin said:
Here is the U-21 Roster for the European Championships:

GK: Márcio Santos, Sérgio Leite, Ivo
D: Jorge Ribeiro,Tonel,Briguel,Paulo Ferreira,Vasco Faísca,Bruno Alves
M:Ednilson, Miguel e Tiago,Hugo Viana,Bosingwa, Alhandra,Neca,Filipe Teixeira,Pedro Mendes
F:Cândido Costa, Paulo Costa, Hélder Postiga,Semedo

6 Porto players and 4 Benfica players are the roster! Besides Caneira, there were a few more notable exceptions: Peixoto and Hugo Leal are injured, Quaresma will be playing with the U-19 in their Euro Championship qualifers, and I have no idea why Makukula was not selected.

Probably line-up: (4-3-3)

-----------------------Sergio Leite-------------------------
-Paulo Ferreira-----Tonel---Vasco Faisca------Jorge Ribeiro
-----------------Ednilson----------Tiago--------------------
----------------------Hugo Viana---------------------------
--Candido Costa----Helder Postiga-----Miguel---------
That is a real good looking lineup. The only change may be Makukulu, who was just naturalized this week. Agostinho Oliveira indicated that he may still add him to the squad. If that were the case, the I would either replace him for Miguel or drop Miguel into the midfield and take Ednilson off.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Take Ednilson off? The guy only has been the most impressive of this U21 squad thus far.

G

·
Thanks. Also why isnt Moreira amongst the 3 goalies? with him being first choice at Benfica i thought hed be certain to be in the squad!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
manuel said:
Thanks. Also why isnt Moreira amongst the 3 goalies? with him being first choice at Benfica i thought hed be certain to be in the squad!
He's on the U-20 team that's competing in the Toulon Tournament this month. Our youths are quite busy this month.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
COUTO 5 said:

I am very dissapointed with our 17's efforts in Switzerland:fero:
But I suppose we shouldnt expect too much from the young ones !
No, that was a very disappointing by the U-17s. They should have at least made it to the semi-finals. Had their best player (Christiano Ronaldo) not been sent off in the 1st match, they probably wouldn't have lost that next match against Switzerland.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts