Ukraine 1:0 (0:0) Belarus
06/09/2008 Lviv FIFA World Cup™ Qualifier

Kazakhstan 1:3 (0:1) Ukraine
10/09/2008 Almaty FIFA World Cup™ Qualifier

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it's only 2 weeks away so I figure let's start discussing this very important match instead of arguing over Niko Kovac in every other thread. Or you can argue about Niko Kovac in this thread. Whatever. So Robbie Kovac is out with a 4 match ban for elbowing Joe Cole during the match with England, and has to pay a 10,000 Swiss francs fine. Will this bring in Krizanac as his replacement? Perhaps move Corluka into CB while bringing Srna into the RB position? This could be the 2nd positive to come from the England match for Croatia. The first positive was the nice gash Joe Cole suffered.

Kranjcar and Eduardo are still out as well.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
its going to be impossible to win...there's no way. We have an incompetent coach, Robbie Kovac isn't playing....Niko Kovac is playing...we're playing in Ukraine...we stink....

Seriously, I think this game is going to be a tough one and if we can get out of there with a tie, it will be good...but, I have a feeling we're going to get out of there with a 1-0 win..

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
I don't want a tie, we're still the brilliant Croatian side I've been watching for the last years. I won't change my attitude just because one bad result, I want a friggin' victory, because I still hope that we can top this group. I'm perfectly aware of the difficulty of this match, but it doesn't affect my expectations.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Kovac getting a 4 match ban is a blessing in disguise, I seriously dont understand why some people still rate this guy.

- against Scotland misses an interception which leads to their only goal in the 1-1 friendly
- against Germany he lets the ball bounce of his head like a fool, then turns his back when Podolski shoots rather than challenge him. Results in Germany's only goal
- against Turkey, turns his back at the striker rather than attempting to challenge him to block the shot, ends up deflecting off of him and leads to Turkeys goal
- against England, turns his back and blocks Pranjic's clearance attempt, leads to England 1st goal.

Keep in mind this is all in the past 4-5 months. Not to mention his age and how he never plays for his club. This is not the type of defender we need in our squad. Put in Krizanac or Knezevic and we'll be much better.

Now all we need is Niko to get a 4 match suspension and we'll make it to WC 2010 for sure.

Ukraine will be tough to beat at home, but even without Kranjcar and Eduardo we should be able to win. I say it'll be 1-0.

·
Registered
36,376 Posts
hahaha :howler:

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
i want to see this for this game.

------------------Plete---------------------

Srna-------Corluka----Simunic------Pranjic

----J.Leko------Vukojevic----Rakitic--------

-----------------Modric-------------------

----------Petric---------Olic-----------------

I think we struggle for RMs...very light in that department.

for the game, raketa needs to know that he has to track back and help Pranjic. Modric needs to get forward and get into the game and stamp his authority. Since he has been at Spurs, he is a shadow of his normal self.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Knezevic shouldn't be in contention for a first XI spot until he plays some minutes at Juve.
The irony is that now he's not a regular at club level he'll be playing in the NT. Call it poor timing or whatever but we simply can't get it right when it comes to selection in defence.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The irony is that now he's not a regular at club level he'll be playing in the NT. Call it poor timing or whatever but we simply can't get it right when it comes to selection in defence.
It's hierarchy, hes been playing as a substitute for our NT for some time, now it's his time because its only fair :rollani:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Pletikosa needs to go back to meditating during the national anthem and allow his eyes to roll in the back of his head, that's when he plays his best.

Sure its a bit early but, this game is going to come down to weather and field conditions..and I wonder if the Ukranians are going to let the grass grow like that game we played in Russia during qualifying. You let that grass get a bit taller, slows the ball down a bit, and evens things out. I still think we'll find a way to win this game 1-0 but, I think it will be tight to the end. We'll score sometime after the 70th minute.

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
french media don't like him. from what i follow they often give him at least an entire grade lower than they give to everyone else even in cases when he didn't deserve it

something similar to what zg journalists did with a certain nt midfielder during 2005 & 2006

1 - 20 of 525 Posts