Xtratime Community banner

WC Qualifier June 4: Turkey - Greece

4K views 99 replies 30 participants last post by  AMOROSO! 
#1 ·
Turkey-HELLAS

June 4th..showdown...

Katsouranis will take Zagorakis' place in the central of the mid.

If we want first place we gotta win,if we get a draw we should get 2nd spot.

#2 · (Edited)
Its early but you are lying if your telling me arent looking forward to this game now...

Key is Zagorakis is out but we will also have Dellas and Kapsis back

Kyrgiakos play was encouraging and Id like to see him against the Turks, this should let Katsouranis move forward and occupy the vacant slot left by Zago

I would like to see Amanatidis at some point in this game his pace can cause all sorts of problems for the Turkish central defense -- barring any injuries i think we should run a 3-5-2 like Otto has been doing recently -- the emphaisis on midfield control is important so Basinas will need to step-up and play the his best game of the year... Stelios and Kara on the wings with runs towards the center and constant side switching, Vryzas and Charisteas up front

-------------------Nikopolidis--------------------
------------Kapsis--Dellas(C)--Kyrgiakos---------
Seitaridis-----------------------------Katsouranis
-------------------Basinas----------------------
---Karagounis--------------------------Stelios---
--------------Charisteas------------------------
-----------------------Vryzas-------------------

Subs:
Chalkias
Goumas
Fyssas
Tsiartas
Lakis
Amanatidis
Gkekas

--EDIT--
I see where Amo is coming from, Basinas in the midfield would at least clog it up and prevent a Turkish firestorm in front of our goal... not to mention this game is going to be really physical and Tsiartas will probably get eaten alive

Tsiartas HAS to be subbed in tho, if we want to get a win he has to come in around the 60th-70th and run our offense, without Zagorakis I cant see anyone starting the offensive buildup in midfield except for Tsiartas

I expect another really ugly game

#3 ·
Massive game this is. Just massive.

If we win, we will take first for sure. What I see realistically is a draw... a loss would be bad but not the end of the world.

My reasons for a draw are Turkey have not impressed me in this campaign much at all, although they seem to be hitting their stride as we are.... but appose to the game in Athens, Turkey will have the pressure and they are the ones who will be going on the attack. We play well on the counter, and we play well in this role. It will be a very gritty game, and hopefully our defense can prevail and we can pop 1 or 2 goals. But it has all the makings for a draw for me...

Then again, maybe both teams will attack like hell and the score will be high. WHo knows....

#4 ·
tough game .but greece has shown that we know how to get a result away from home,wins in spain,and portugal twice,draw against ukkraine,rehagle and the team know what to do and how to do it ,they have proved that in the past,should be a great game. but even if we lose ,nothing is lost ,because all the other teams have hard matches and will drop points ,this group will go down to the wire.

#5 ·
If we win, we go for first place. If we draw, we'll take second. Just to be on the safe side, I think Otto will try to close them down and if we score a goal or two... fine.

Goonis, we'll get eaten alive with that formation, there isn't a single defencive midfielder in it. And Tsiartas in a full-blooded encounter like that? No way.

I'd play

Nikopolidis

Kirgiakos - Dellas - Kapsis

Seitaridis - Katsouranis - Basinas - Karagounis

Charisteas - Vryzas - Giannakopoulos

#9 ·
..................Nikopolidis

Seitaridis__Dellas__Kapsis___Fyssas

Stelios_Katsouranis_Basinas_Karagounis

............Vryzas_Charisteas

I think otto will revert to a tight 4-4-2 for this game,We'l be going there for a draw.

#12 ·
Greece play with 10 men on defense and with 10 men on offence, thats why its so difficult to play against us, the players run all the time, they dont give up...
And that is why we always create chances and score.

Im positive for a good result. its important we dont conceed a goal early, then the game is ours.. and hopefully nikopolidis will not make a misstake like he does every game since the euros..

#22 ·
I think in Istanbul, Inonu stadium

#25 ·
Nova said:
Hihi :D Who is Fatih ??? :D Sorry , I'm a bad joker myself :D
:D He's our forward that scored 2 and got man of the match against Georgia.

This game will be near impossible to predict, can go either way. That said, it'll probably end a draw (don't quote me, not a prediction! :eekani: :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.