Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
69,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slaven Bilic announced his squad for the Andorra qualifier on April Fools Day. Knezevic, Drpic and Klasnic return to the squad while Drago Gabric is the new name called up. No Robert Kovac, Petric is out due to injury.

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Spartak Moscow) Vedran Runhe (RC Lens) Danijel Subasic (Hajduk Split)

Defenders: Vedran Corluka (Tottenham) Ivica Krizanac (Zenit St. Petersburg) Danijel Pranjic (Heerenveen) Josip Simunic (Hertha Berlin) Dario Knezevic (Juventus) Hrvoje Vejic (Hajduk Split) Dino Drpic (Karlsruher) Hrvoje Cale (Trabzonspor)

Midfielders: Luka Modric (Tottenham) Niko Kranjcar (Portsmouth) Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk) Ivan Juric (Genoa) Ognjen Vukojevic (Dynamo Kiev) Nikola Pokrivac (Monaco) Jerko Leko (Monaco) Ivan Rakitic (Schalke 04) Drago Gabric (Hajduk Split)

Forwards: Eduardo (Arsenal) Ivica Olic (Hamburg) Ivan Klasnic (Nantes) Mario Mandzukic (Dinamo Zagreb) Nikola Kalinic (Hajduk Split)

Looks like no friendly before the Andorra game, the team will not train in Catez. And I know it's only Andorra, but is anybody else completely worried about the depth at defense :howler: Matters are worse when Simunic is suspended (don't get the logic of calling him up, whatever, Bilic can say what he wants but its still silly), but against Andorra it doesn't matter too much

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Good to see Gabrić get a call up, he has great workrate and is a useful player! This should be good for him and Hajduk!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Isn't this a bit early (15 days) to be putting up a thread before a game? That's what you told me the last Andorra game (14 days) :D :pp

And if the teams not training in Catez, then where are they training? anyone?

...and Drpic with a call, wow.

·
Registered
69,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my rule is opening one when the dquad is announced...:D

as you see we have an Oman thread and yet that game was never official :pp

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes, yes, and the title to the Oman friendly didn't have that HS officialness to it. :D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The only real surprise to me here was Leko's callup and to a lesser extent Drago Gabric's inclusion here. Why we're calling another defensive midfielder in Leko, is beyond me really. As for Gabric, I know he has a high work rate and such, but in lots of ways he's just another defensive midfielder(so we're gonna carry 5 defensive mids now :confused:).

The goalies, defense and forwards picked were as expected but I just can't accept Leko as continuing to be part of the squad when you've added Juric and Gabric as players that have replaced or surpassed him.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Apart from Leko being a DM option he is also seen by Bilić as someone who can play on the right of midfield. Gabrić has been selected as another option for that wide right role. I doubt if we were selecting a squad for a tournament that we'd have both of them in there plus the 3 other DM's but here I think Gabrić is being rewarded for some good form with Hajduk while Leko is just reassuming his position in the squad.

I agree with you that it's pointless having so many players for essentially the one position but I guess we'll have to wait a little longer before that is cleared up.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
The only real surprise to me here was Leko's callup and to a lesser extent Drago Gabric's inclusion here. Why we're calling another defensive midfielder in Leko, is beyond me really. As for Gabric, I know he has a high work rate and such, but in lots of ways he's just another defensive midfielder(so we're gonna carry 5 defensive mids now :confused:).

The goalies, defense and forwards picked were as expected but I just can't accept Leko as continuing to be part of the squad when you've added Juric and Gabric as players that have replaced or surpassed him.
gabric's call up doesnt surprise me as he has had a very good year wih hajduk..he probably wont play but i have no problem with bilic rewarding a young player in the league who has played very well..

i was kind of surprised to see klasnic picked but i guess with no petric i can see why..i wonder if bilic will consider giving either mandzukic or kalinic a start if dudu doesnt play..mandzukic has been in better form lately so i wouldnt mind him getting a start..i think though his future for us is a right sided mid as he has the workrate and pace to play there..

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Is Eduardo ready? I thought he missed the last Arsenal game with some kind of strain?
he has a groing strain..groin injuries are funny they could take a week a month who knows..arsenal has stated its not that serious but it is a little troubling that he is picking up all thes little strains since coming back..

·
Registered
5 Posts
its normal for dudu to get these little injuries.....i mean his leg pretty much snapped in half and his ancle.all your muscles that you can't use just shrink.he needs to pretty much rebuild his whole leg again.i'v just screwed my knee ligaments and had an op and now my leg is like a tooth pick jebote!!
but anyway.judging by the squad, midfeild looks really good.keepers and strikers standard(don't like klasnic though) but defence....geez....i can see a few goals getting leaked through there especially with simunic out...r.kovac was solid as a rock!!!and i'v always thoughyt cro played well because the rest of the team had every confidence in the defence even when we push alot of numbers forward...but andoora is not match anyway

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
Dudu has been working hard and came back physically stronger than before, just one look at his muscle tone and size you can tell. But match fitness is something you don't get in training.

Little shimmies, turns on the ball, sprints, hitting the brakes all mixed with the adrenalin of playing is a whole different story. He needs to stay healthy and get some matches under his belt.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Yeah budan is unfortunately a write off for us.
He was at the late stages of his career when he earned his first cap and he never really took his chance for the NT when given it!

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Pletikosa
Corluka - Krizanac - Vejic - Pranjic
Srna - Juric - Modric - Kranjcar
Eduardo - Olic​

I think we will play this, i'd love to see Pokrivac, get a start.

It's all about the first goal here, i remember in the last qualifiers, it was very tough, until Srna scored that fluky freekick.

·
Registered
69,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
again here we go again attacking Budan who was half injured before the game. When Croatia was getting pinned back and could escape their own half and couldn't breathe its Budan's fault. I guess Croatia fans that day wanted to play extreme bunker with the STRIKER playing defense like a mad man, but when Croatia does play bunker they go nuts, another double standard

Oh btw, if you watch the match and look at the stats, if Budan's running was multiplied into 90 minutes it would be just the same as the rest of the team and he had a better chance than Olic in the entire match.

You can't blame Budan because his 10 other teammates were 30-40 yards behind him for 20-30 minutes panicking like fools. There is a reason why Budan was never the same after that game, he was seriously injured and I'm positive that game injured him more.

Again, I'd rather have a half injured Budan than Olic, because in his 20 minutes he was more lethal than Petrol :howler:

1 - 20 of 522 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.