Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as we come into the last days before the WC we should post some news of value here

1. Usa lose a key midfileder for WC
2. Poland lose Key midfielder for WC , & Keeper injured & in doubt
3. Sth Korea fire warning & hammer Scotland 4-1

·
International
5,629 Posts
Figo is hurting. Yesterday's performance was an indicator, physically he's not the same.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno about the rest of you's guy's , but I have been mentally preparing for the WC without Luis Figo & Rui Costa :( , they both have been butchered this year & both are F*cked.

I will be happy to progress to 2nd round without them & if we get knocked out it will be expected.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Nah...Rui Costa will be amazing this WC. Mark my words the injuries he suffered were a blessing. He's not spent, plus right now he's 100%. I look for him to be very menacing.

Figo on the other hand, needed surgery 4 months ago. He decided against it and his form is paying the price. Don't get me wrong he can still play, but he's just average now, compared to being out of this world.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Yup, with Figo and Costa coming off injuries and poor form, it'll be interesting to see how they enter the WC. It's only weeks away. I hope that's enough time to get straight.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
RedEagle said:
Nah...Rui Costa will be amazing this WC. Mark my words the injuries he suffered were a blessing. He's not spent, plus right now he's 100%. I look for him to be very menacing.

I don't know if I buy this line of thinking. As a Milan fan, what I saw was a guy who never could get into game shape/form because he kept suffering ankle and leg injuries. Hopefully, he's rested and healthy, but the lack of game play and match fitness could be a problem.

G

·
Well were buggerd. :(

Figo was crap in the CL FINAL and i fear that show he will be in the world cup. Rui hasnt played enough.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Figo is obviously saving the best for last. I know he could have given it 100% last night but he would risk injury. He'll risk it all in June that's for sure. Injury or not, I don't think it will be a factor.

Same for Rui. Although Rui doesn't have Figo's guts, he wants it just as bad as Figo so we may see the same magical Rui Costa we saw at Euro 2000.

·
International
5,629 Posts
I don't know about that. THe CL final is a very big stage, and Figo was, well, physically limited. That Zidane goal was a beaut though. That guy always saves his best for the most precious moments.

As for Rui Costa, all I've read is that he's at 100% health wise.
RUI WILL BE THE MAN. I'm calling it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will Figo and Rui Costa be anywhere near 100%? While Rui has rarely played, Figo has been bloody terrible for the last couple of months. Furthermore, how has Couto being playing for Lazio? Jorge Costa hasn't overly impressed me at Charlton, and that could be a major weakness.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
mathiaslg said:
Will Figo and Rui Costa be anywhere near 100%? While Rui has rarely played, Figo has been bloody terrible for the last couple of months. Furthermore, how has Couto being playing for Lazio? Jorge Costa hasn't overly impressed me at Charlton, and that could be a major weakness.
Is Austria in the World Cup? I don't remember. Can someone refresh my memory.

As Rui Costa, he will 100% fit. According to RTP, Figo will now have a great bit of rest before the World Cup and will be fine. Figo at 50% is still better than alot of players out there. As for him looking "bloody terrible". I think anyone would look terrible trying to play on bad ankle ligaments. But he tried to for the sake of Real and Del Bosque.

As for Couto, he is the king of the air in Serie A as he is labeled and had a great season for Lazio. He will be a force. As for Jorge Costa, if he didn't impress you much that's your opinion. Charlton seems to love the guy since they want to buy him from Porto....

Nuff said....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Flotown, you're kidding right? Austria? They had trouble getting players to go to Isael for a crucial qualifier ( they were too afraid). Then if I remember correctly they got spanked in the playoff, probably by Turkey.

As far as Rui Costa is concerned; there is a fine line between being rested and being rusty. Health is the most important factor.
If he's fully fit I won't worry about his lack of action this year.

In Euro 2000 his best game by far was the thrilling opener versus England. He became less and less of a factor as the tourney went on. Let's hope this time he reverses that and gets stronger.

I'll admit Figo has me worried. His ability to lift the squad is amazing. It would be a shame to reflect on this opportunity and cry in our beers for years about how close we were and how we could have won it all "if only Figo had been healthy".

This may be our best chance in to win the WC in our lifetimes.
Let's enjoy it. Set those alarm clocks.

VIVA PORTUGAL

:eek: :depress:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am not a supporter of Austria, so no need to be foolish and make such a jab. I am only curious, since I haven't heard a lot about Couto this year, and I have seen Jorge Costa play a couple of times for Charlton, and while he did fine, it was nothing special--and those two are apparently going to be your two CB's. As for Figo and Rui, I was just curious--and I hope for Figo's sake that he gets healthy, because he is a brilliant player (as in truly top 3 in the world) when fit, but it would be disappointing to see him at anything less than 100%.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
mathiaslg said:
I am not a supporter of Austria, so no need to be foolish and make such a jab. I am only curious, since I haven't heard a lot about Couto this year, and I have seen Jorge Costa play a couple of times for Charlton, and while he did fine, it was nothing special--and those two are apparently going to be your two CB's. As for Figo and Rui, I was just curious--and I hope for Figo's sake that he gets healthy, because he is a brilliant player (as in truly top 3 in the world) when fit, but it would be disappointing to see him at anything less than 100%.
Chill out Mathias. You're a bit a of a new cat here so we like to have fun once in a while. No harm. Anyways, just for the information today they stated that Figo is ankle is pretty healed but that his true problem is right now is getting fit. Tis why he has looked like utter crap the past few months. He hasn't been training in order to strengthen his ankle. Del Bosque felt that he could still get minutes out of Figo, albeit not 90 and still feel safe. Figo will now commence on a hard training regiment to get fit since the ankle has strenthened itself.

Let's hope that it works out.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you are Portuguese, contributing to this thread, and expressing less than the highest confidence in our guys, then shame on you.

Forget Figo's lacklustre end to the season. Forget Rui's past injuries, and forget appraising these guys player by player. When they play together, the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Haven't they proved that time and again?

Barring additional injuries, look for the following to happen.

Figo is too smart not to use the following two weeks, maybe even the opening few games, to rest, heal, and regain his legendary form. All that's wrong with Luis is that he came back too soon and tried too hard. The game against Brazil happened while he was supposedly well into his 'out of form' period. Would anyone suggest he was less than brilliant in that game? Why? Because he was playing for Portugal.

Rui is sick of all the criticism he's endured for failing to carry Milan. He's got something to prove; just watch the maestro go. Today he told the Portuguese media that he could not wait for today to arrive when he could join the team in Lisbon and begin preparations.

Conceicao, as he has proved already, is a totally different man when amongst his compatriots and wearing the right colours. He was brilliant in the otherwise unfortunate game against Finland, and even better against Brazil. Like Rui, he hasn't received the respect he deserves - he'll be on fire.

The rest of the team, with an average age of 27, is in its prime. They came within a hairsbreadth of beating the French in 2000. The French remain their most serious competition, so I believe it will come down to who wants it more. It is their last chance - they will be pouring it on.

Nuno, Pauleta, J.V.P., Costa, Couto, lead by a fit Figo, will be focussed not only on playing beautiful futebol, but winning. If only Simao could be there to show the world the next great Portuguese player.

Believe it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Unfortunately I also am not very confident at this moment, I beleieve in the boys but it just eats at my gut that our leading players might not be fit for the biggest games of their lives.

By the way USA smacked Jamaica 5 zip, these guys arnt gonna be easy and their showing good form.

I think once our team gets together the team spirit will bring out the best of em & we will be UNBEATABLE!!! Lets hope!

FORCA PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!

FORCA TUGAS!!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
What can i say im a pescimist!
...and you can't spell. ;)

If the U.S. plays like the did against Uruguay last week, they should give us a nice little competitive game. But honestly, our attack should make an absolute shambles of their defence, which was not very good. And now, sadly, it looks like they'll be without Armas, who was a good provider to their attackers. If we don't have a fairly easy time with them - we shouldn't even be in Korea, and everyone knows that's just not so.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts