Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm a little bored so I'd like to re-start something. Who here thinks France bought out WC 98, and who here believes that they won it fair and square? Again just bored, but I'd still like to here all your opinions.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
They won it fair and square, even tough that from the beginning Fifa wanted the final to be France-Brasil, just like NOW they want the final to be Argentina-Italy, sorry france, not every WC is played in your own country.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I think France98 won the WC98 fair. I dunno what people base it on when they say France payed for the '98 world cup.

SZeppelin75 said:
just like NOW they want the final to be Argentina-Italy,
How do you know this?

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you're looking for skeletons from WC 98, you're looking in the wrong place.
The funny business with England and Germany was far more blatant.

After England fans clashed with Tunisian fans, the English FA, under pressure offered to withdraw from the tournament.
German fans clashed with French police and one French gendarme was left brain damaged.

What did these teams have in common??? They were both eliminated in games where their players got sent off for ticky tac fouls.

The WC is the Golden Goose and I believe FIFA would do just about anything to get "hooligans" off the front page during soccer's showcase to the world.

Money talks. Hell, why did China get the Olympics, and qualify for the WC. The fix was in. Iran and S Arabia in one group, China in the other, easier group.

Money & Politics ruin a lot of s--t.

P.S. Don't get me started on Germany fixing a WC 98 qualifieragainst Portugal.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Whoa Figo Rules!:dazed: At first reading, you would look crazy to me but honestly, you have raised some suspicions in my mind:D

·
Registered
333 Posts
...BTW.

I know the WC is under intense scrutiny, so people might not want to believe there could be funny business. BUT, let's not pretend that soccer is pure and clean. In the late 90's there were numerous revelations of payoffs to referees over the years. It's in the culture. You got to watch this s--t closely.

France won fair and square in 98, esp the final. Brazil was unsettled and France took away the middle of the field.

·
Registered
333 Posts
utopia...

When the WC is once every 4 years and the audience is huge, I'm don't think FIFA wants the headlines to be about hooligans killing people.

Unless people actually believe what Beckham did was worthy of a sending off. I don't think so.

It's all very fishy.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
IL TORO said:
I think France98 won the WC98 fair. I dunno what people base it on when they say France payed for the '98 world cup.

How do you know this?
Because it's the ideal final, believe me it won't be France-Italy of Brazil-Italy, Fifa want this: The final triumph of a nation over adversity, Argentina are under lots of economic problems, what would make Fifa look good to the world? a team of superstars winning it for their people, winning it for their nation, giving their fans a "little" joy, FIFA would look really good doing this, and of course we have to play the final with somebody(Italy)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
France probably deserved to win the tournament on their home soil but they had a lot of luck along their way but that is what is needed in the important games ;)

Euro 2000 they probably did not deserve and again they had a lot of luck there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts