Xtratime Community banner

WC 2010 Qualifiers: Israel-Switzerland

1K views 45 replies 12 participants last post by  Kappa21 
#1 ·
Well, it's finally here... the WCQ campaign for South Africa 2010.

Like I said in the other thread, at least 7 of the NT starters are foreign based. We're obviously a much more improved team, talent-wise. My fears are chemistry, defense, and above all, possession. With that said, I still like our chances. We're strong at home, but the Swiss are a tough nut to crack. But with Sahar and Barda up front, I like our chances. :thumbsup:

Dror Kashtan will announce the squad on Saturday night and as far as I know, P. Senderos won't be in the line-up for SUI. How big of an impact will that be?

#2 ·
Kashtan has called up the team. Pretty much the same from the friendly match against Finland. Salim Tuama has been called and Kozukin has been kept.

Full Squad:

Keepers

Dudu Awat (La Coruna)
Nir Davidovich (Maccabi Haifa)
Liran Strauber (Maccabi Netanya)

Defenders

Shmuel Kozukin (Beitar Jerusalem)
Klemi Saban (Maccabi Netanya)
Tal Ben Haim (Manchester City)
Avi Strul (Lokeren)
Dekel Keinan (Maccabi Haifa)
Dedi Ben Dayan (Maccabi Netanya)
Yoav Ziv (Beitar Jerusalem)

Midfielders

Gal Alberman (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Tamir Cohen (Bolton)
Aviram Bruchian (Beitar Jerusalem)
Mosh Ohayon (Beitar Jerusalem)
Biram Kiyal (Maccabi Haifa)
Salim Tuama (Standard Liege)
Yossi Benayoun (Liverpool)
Maor Buzaglo (Maccabi Tel Aviv)

Forwards

Elyaniv Barda (Genk)
Omer Golan (Lokeren)
Roberto Collauti (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Amit Ben Shushan (Beitar Jerusalem)
Ben Sahar (Portsmouth)

#3 ·
my preffered line-up:

------------------------Awate--------------------------

Saban(Ziv)---Ben-Haim---Strul(Keinan)---Ben-Dayan(Ziv)

Benayoun----T. Cohen------Alberman-----Tuama(Bozaglo)

-------------------Sahar-----Barda(Collauti)-------------

Ziv can play both sides and we don't have a true right-back like Shpungin since he is with the U-21.

but i have a bad feeling that Kashtan will go with a 5-4-1, even though we have 4 strikers in Europe. i hope not...

#4 ·
Did Dudu find a new club yet or is he going to stay in La Coruna after all?

Israel to win 3-1 I think. The Israelis have shown already last campaign to score easily, especially at home. And this team is very talented. I am not underestimating Switzerland but I cannot see them get any result in an atmospheric Ramat Gan. The attacking strength of Israel will be decisive, as Switzerland have some great players but they are not exactly a goal machine. Israel on the other hand scores easily usually.

My bet: 3-1 victory for Israel :thumbsup:

#5 ·
If we tie, there is no point really to think about anything other than a miracle. I mean, im gonna say that we will be dominating the match, but still.... We cannot go out, give so much and get back a tie - at home....and im hoping like C. Pleasure said - a 3-1 win!

Switzerland is tired and depleted. Did very well infront of a homecrowd in Euro, but didnt really make any impacts..only in the group stages where both host nations pulled some great games, but nothing more.....

So with that being said Israel should have a clear cut advantage. The Finland game - im ready to put aside and show it as a lesson for what would/could/and CANNOT happen...and im hoping Kashtan learned well :)

EL EL ISRAEL!

#6 ·
apparently alberman is out with a back injury, :p, I hope he can recover but if not here would be my best guess at our lineup.

---------------Colautti------Sahar-------------
Buzaglo-----------------------------Benayoun--
---------------Bruchyan----Cohen--------------
Ziv----------Ben-Haim-------Strul----Saban-----

#8 ·
Well the lineup is pretty much known by 70%. Probably the defenders will be Strul and Ben Haim, with Benayoun and Tamir Cohen in midfield with their places secured, while Baruchyan if recovered from his pain will figure in Kashtan´s eleven. Barda and Collauti will start upfront despite Ben Sahar making a good match against Finland.

The position who aren´t known, keeper. Awat or Davidovich. The latter is with more playing time with Haifa, while Dudu, hasn´t played a match for 4 months at La Coruna. A tough choice for Kashtan. Imo Awat should begin. What do you guys think?

On the sidebacks position, honestly i have doubts. What we saw in the last campaign was Shpungin (he is out of this match due injury) in the right and Ziv on left and it should like this during the campaign. But we have seen that Kashtan has opted to use Ben Dayan in the left and i wouldn´t be surprised to the Netanya player start the match. Yoav Ziv, who i would prefer to see instead of Ben Dayan, was also tested on the right side. Even though as a sideback he is better tha Saban it would not the right time to test positions in such an important game like against Switzerland (Ziv already played as a rightback, but it is not his natural one). Saban in today´s pratice played in the first team and should start the game. What would guys do in this case?

In central defense, pretty much secured, Ben Haim and Sturl will start, despite in today in practice Keinan playing in the first team alongside Strul.

In midfield, a lot of doubts, the only secured spot is of Yossi Benayoun, of course. But even Tamir Cohen could have his place taken. The Bolton midfielder is likely to start, but Kashtan tested Moshe Ohayon and Biram Kiyal aswell in the position. Gal Alberman will be sorrowly missed as he won´t recover in time from injury, which opens a new spot in midfield.
Baruchyan who is one of Beitar´s best players this season, is Kashtan favourite and despite a bad game against Finland shoul have his spot secured together with Benayoun. Salim Tuama who in the last campaign didn´t appear in the lists is a hot name to start the game as in both training sessions he was placed in the first team and also the man in charge to take freekicks and corners. Buzaglo will be an option for second half and imo Kashtan won´t start with him. So according to the practices so far, we would have a mifield with: Cohen, Baruchyan, Benayoun and Tuama.

In the striking force upfront, Kashtan is most likely to start with Collauti and Barda. Even though Portsmouth youngster Ben Sahar has pleased the staff and raised his chances to start.

A lot of doubts for the match, better this way so the Swiss will be confused on who will start.

I´m surprised they haven´t started a psycological war as they did in the last campaign.

#11 ·
The Game is at half time and Switzerland leads 1-0 on a free kick form Yakin, Israel hasnt been able to do anything in the final third even though we have had most of the possession, we need a spark, Golan and Kiyal have been poor, we should sub them out, I still think we can win the game, but we need to score. Israel is unlucky to be down 1-0 at HT.

#23 ·
i think we can all agree that Strul is crap and not NT material and that this is the team that needs to be in the starding line up

--------------------Awat

-Kozokin--Ben Haim--Haimovitch--Ben Dayan

----------Cohen-------Alberman(Ohayon)

--Buzaglo--------------------------Benayoun

------------Barda----------Sahar

#26 ·
The reason Kashtan still has his job is only bc of nepotism and the corrupt IFA. He should have been fired alone for his lineup selection. Its so sad how corrupt many institutions today are in Israel, when you have corruption, incomptent toadies that do the bidding of their bosses are chosen instead of the most qualified candidate, Kashtan had his chance for the 08 qualifiers and ****ed up. But somehow he still manages to retain his job, thats scandalous. :frustrat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.