Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Ola,

Answering your question, about SA holding the WC 2006.

Sure we have a really high crime rate. As for malnutrition and health, this is not Etheopia. The housing is being looked at, but you have to understand, that most of these problems are occuring in the black Townships. Alot can happen in 6 years.

South Africa is not like the rest of Africa, We do have some of africa's problems, but the difference is we can take care of ours.

If you remember correctly, South Africa held the Rugby world cup & Africa nations cup very successfully. The Rugby WC in '95 was even more successful than the one held last year in England. I no these tournaments were small compared to the Soccer WC. But we can hold our own.

We are the strongest African country in the world. I just think it's about time that Africa has a chance to host the tournament of all tournaments. Our Stadiums are even bigger than most of those in England. Most of them holding between 85 000 and 60 000. With new one's being planned for the future.

As for finance's, that is no problem. it will help with the economy of the country, and create a lot of jobs. CASE CLOSED.

p.s. I should know, i live here.

F_rog

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's quite clear that your a bit upset with my posting. My intention wasn't to piss you off but to start a healthy debate.

My question has been one that many have asked not only about the WC in SA but the Olympics in other cities in other countries.
I know you live their, however malnutrition is a problem that South Africa faces everyday. I am well aware of the problems SA faces and the differences and similarities between SA and the rest of Africa. SA is is in a very delicate situation in which it has a huge black majority that have poor housing conditions, face huge unemployment, face huge crime rates and simply do not enjoy the wealth and prosperity Sa offers.

I am well aware of the events Sa has put on especially the WR Championships. However, you need to ask yourself as a nation, should we finance an event when the majority of our people live sub-standard housing, face malnutrition, live in townships that are extremely violent and so on.

No need to get pissed mate!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologise if i sounded like i was pissed off, I didn't mean it to sound that way though. The point i'm trying to get across is that Brazil has exactly the same problem as SA.

But you don't hear any of the opposing opposition saying anything about them - and why - Because South Africa have the best chance of winning it.

One thing I must agree with you on, I personally feel that SA should not hold it now. Mainly because we are not ready for it.

But with England saying that SA can't hold a WC, it makes us even hungrier for it no matter what the situation of the country is.

By the way who is your favourite to get the bid? And where are you from?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem!

I'm living in Toronto and we too are facing the same questions whether we should host the Olympics. Big events like these tend to suck public funds. In my personal opinion Portugal should not of held the EXPo there a few years ago. How can a country with the highest TB and malnutrition rate in Europe blow billions on an event many Portuguese could not afford to go to. Personally, I'd love to see it in SA and not in Brazil. They couldn't put together a lemonade stand never mind a WC.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ola, you seem to have the experience of Montreal at the front of your mind.

Expo left a wonderful regenerated area - before industrial wasteland.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Montreal!

Lets ask Marcoa about that. He's still paying for that disaster.

Granted, urban renewal is a positive thing, especially what's been done in Lisbon. HOWEVER, I personally have a problem in funding a project of that magnitude when malnutrition rates exist in Lisbon that would give certain nations in Africa a run for their money. Can't forget about the use of exploited labour, primarily from Angola and Mocambicque that was used to build this show piece. Not to mention the massive heroin problem Lisbon is faced with, without adequate drug treatment facilities, child labour which is rampant in Portugal, rather poor public health care, poor minimum wage standards and so on. Oh one more thing! Lets not forget about the English, German and Spanish construction companies that made a load of money.

[This message has been edited by Ola (edited 06-06-2000).]

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
yeah it was a disaster. Montreal's, canada's #1 city,biggest problem however is the governments stupid funding towards ridiculous things like Super hospitals and language laws.

Anyways...I would like to see a european team get the WC in 2006. The reason is simple, if Germany or England get the WC we don't have to worry about them playing against us in qualifying :)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

http://www.fcporto-online.com

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marcoa

The reason why the Montreal Olympics cost so much was because of corruption. Too many Portuguese and Italian concrete contactors ripping off the government. They totaled all receipts for concrete for the Olymoic stadium and they figured that the government payed for enough for two Olympic stadiums, but as we know only one was built!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marcoa,

Don't you think it's about time that someone else outside of europe get the world cup.

All i'm saying is people like me, can't afford to go overseas and pay ridicules amounts of money to watch my team play. I wanted to go to France 98, when i got quotes back, they wanted 2000 pounds for 10 days to watch three games. For me in SA, times that by 10. instead i took that money and travelled around Europe for a few months.

Africa in general have never been involved when it comes to organizing tournaments. South Africa was the first to hold a tournament, much biiger than those seen in in the rest of Africa. (namely the Rugby WC).

Forget about all the problems each country faces, and give it to the country who deserves it the most.

f_rog

·
Registered
964 Posts
f_rog dont you think people from overseas are going to be a bit scared of the Lions walkink around our back yard.
I mean we dont have fences to lock them up.
I mean my pet lion might chow up some world class football and somebody might get stoned to death.
Damn , man SA will host a better WC than Australia or NZ and they great countrys , but our infastructure built in the past are better than most countrys.I mean Aus & NZ have these 40 000 stadiums .We have large stadiums which can take a capacity of 60 000+ and 70 000+.England only have two stadiums past the 55 000+ mark.And our facilities arent in the townships they are in good areas.
We have many foreigners who come here on holiday.I use to work in a hotel and many foreigners say that SA is not as bad as it is said to be.
We are the 4th fastest growing country and we have all the facilities to host the WC even game parks to lock up our wild animals.
And no i dont have a pet lion.
The violence in this country is bad but America isnt much better and they got to host the WC.
And we wont have crowd violence here like you would have overseas.
SA2006!!!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to agree with you Paulo,

Many people believe that South Africa is like the rest of Africa. They don't realise how advanced we are. We have our own nuclear weapons, a military that's probably the strongest in the Southern Hemisphere. Stadiums that put Old Trafford to shame.

The only thing i think that really goes agaist us is Transportation. I know it's in the pipelines, but i have to see it to believe it. As for the crime it's been blown way out of proportion. Plus it will show the rest of the world what we can do.

To the rest of the world that's out there, you have to experience something before you can can actually talk bad about it.

f_rog

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
if Portugal was an african country then I would be cheering for an african country to get it. I don't care who gets it. I only want a european country to get it because Portugal traditionally sucks ass in WC qualifying and if they have 1 less top level national team to face it makes their quest easier :)

Question: Isn't Morocco the front-runner now?

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think Morocco, have ever been in contention for the WC. They know they don't have a chance against the likes of England, Germany or even SA for that matter.

Morocco, are now holding talks with the SA's to see if they can come up with some sort of compromise. The germans, also stated that if SA pulled out of the running, they would help SA, when it came to the next WC.

I Read in Soccernet.com earlier, that Mandela was now part of the SA campaign. I know he doesn't have much to do with soccer. but he is one of the world's most influential people.

As for your point made about Portugal not qualifying, it's not agaist germany or holland that they loose to but it's the likes of Ireland & Azerbijan, that they keep drawing with that causes us not to go through.

Marcoa where are you from?

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
I am from canada.

I wish Canada would get the WC. We are big enough and have enough stadiums. Sadly we do not possess as much money as our neighbors down south and I don't see this happening.

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

·
International
5,629 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again. SOUTH AFRICA SHOULD GET THE 06 WC!
It's about time an African country holds it.

OLA you sound like Mother Theresa man, why don't you go over to Lisbon and start feeding the humbling poor off of the Tagus or something.

The EXPO was a good thing for Lisbon and Portugal, it generated a lot of money, they rebuilt a wasted area, and provided jobs for all those who wanted to get off heroin, and be productive with their lives!

[This message has been edited by RedEagle (edited 06-06-2000).]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm 100% with RedEagle.

You can't only look at the problem's the countries are facing, but more at what problems could be solved by giving a tounament like this to each country.

What are england and germany going to achieve with holding the WC there. they not the one's with the employment problem. Can you imagine the doors that would open if SA get it.

Imagine, all the people who have never even seen brazil play on T.V. would have a once in a life time experience to see them live.

i think i should join up with the delegation for the SA bid? They could use me?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SA's in the same time zone as France.

and now i'm going home, speak to you all tomorrow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts