Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of your chances to qualify for World Cup 2002? I know the chances look bleak with Germany and England being in your group, but do you guys think you can pull off second place somehow with both England and Germany showing poor form from time to time???

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
If we play up to our capabilities (as we never do) then we will win the group.Seriusly,I believe this.England is beatable and they will melt like ice at our home and Germany struggles and will struggle.

But we wont play as we can and we will end up 4th behind finland as well.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dont be so pessimistic Amo!nothing is over yet.We can play and win and i am sure our players need motivation(and a better coach!)

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
I agree that you could beat England...especially with Keegan in charge who seems intent on forgetting to call up some promising players (mainly ones called Ugo Ehiough!) :(
But then again England can sneak up on you when you least expect it!...ask Italia!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Why not? especially at home!

------------------

·
International
8,545 Posts
Maybe a tie, but I don't see them winning. Germany may not be playing well right now, but never under-estimate them.

I just don't think Greece is strong enough. I think you've improved considerably over the last few years, but I thought you performed pretty bad at euro2000 qualifiers. I didn't see your games, but I thought your group was pretty weak, and I expected you to get at least 2nd place probably even first. Norway is a tough team but the rest I thought were bad.

Keep in mind I didn't actually see any of the games, so I could be way off and if I am, feel free to let me know :) Based on the results, I was surprised. I expected a lot more.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
IVO,I'll tell you this,if Greece manage to make a team,and I mean a TEAM and play as we can,we are among the top 8 in Europe.This may sound crazy but its not.You may havent heard anyone butb I can assure you that there isnt only one "Georgatos".

Dont base on results.Even at a bad shape we could have easily barried 5 past Slobenia,a team that beat us at home for their very good luck.You cant imagine how one sided that game was...anyway,when our players realise how good we are and get some confidence,we will surprise everyone.

------------------

·
International
8,545 Posts
I'm sure you can field a very strong team. But, getting a "team" like you termed it, isn't that easy as I'm sure you know. I do hope you achieve this and wish you guys luck in the qualifying. I hope you beat the English bad :)

BTW did you always have the exclamation mark after your name? I never noticed it before.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Exactly,making a team first of all takes the right attitude.We never had this.We managed ONCE to make a stable group of players and we instantly qualified for the WC94 (of course there we returned to our old habbits and we crushed :().And imagine that at time we didnt have players as good as we have now.

Yes the ! has always been there. :)

------------------

D

·
0 Posts
Greece stand little chance of beating Germany and England.
As we saw with the Euro 2000 qualifications, no matter how crap the German team may be, in the end they'll still finish top of the group. England have some of the most talented players in the world, but did poorly in the Euro 2000 qualifiers, but still the likes of Beckham,Scholes,Campbell will rip Greece apart.
People say Greece is not the team of WC 94 anymore and is capable of beating anyone in the world and doing well on the big stage, but as long as Greece can not even qualify for any major tournament, they can only talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMOROSO!: I am curious as to why Greece cannot play as a team... is it arrogance, selfishness, combination of both? Please clarify this for me as much as you can.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
There are several reasons.First and most important is that some players think that because they play at a big europian club they can do whatver they want at the national team.Namely,Georgatos.For examble,we had a crucial game against Norway at Oslo last autumn and the coach chose the starting 11.In the line up both Georgatos and forward Nikolaidis was included.When they had to chose the numbers Nikolaidis picked as always #11 (he always wears number 11,both at his club and the national team).Georgatos told him that he should have #11 because he is the best greek player (far from it).Anyway,they started fighting and they almost punche each other.Nikolaidis decided to back off and accepted to get #9.Anyway,during the game Georgatos refused to pass the ball to Nikolaidis.He NEVER gave him one,single pass...isnt this disgusting? another thing is that some players who play exelent for their clubs they sucxk when they play for the national team.Gaorgatos plays too selfish and Machlas simply cant score.The same goes for Demis Nikolaidis (the best greek player in my opinion).From the moment they will understand that they should be united and care for the national team we would have make a HUGE step forward.

------------------

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This Georgatos sounds like a plague in the dressing room. If the incident you mentioned between Georgatos and Nikolaidis happend in other natinal teams, I think Geo would be kicked off the team... What's stopping the coach anyway??

As for your players playing well for their clubs compared to national team just shows in my opinion that they don't think there is any pride to play for Greece.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts