Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
keeping in theme with a lot of threads lately including the homage to romario :) ...was van basten the greatest..?at least in the last 20 years, and where does he compare to players like henry,ronaldo and sheva to name a few...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
L-Pheno said:
No, I think Romario edges him, although I must point out that I only ever saw Van Basten for one season.
What? Weren't you the one who thought Ronaldo was a overall better player in his prime than Romario?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
No, Ronaldo and Romario were better at their primes.
And if you consider Eusebio a striker, he was better as well.
They were better players than Van Basten and they have the advantage of having great world cups. While Van Basten played all four holland games in the 90 wc and cold not score a single goal. And Btw, he was not injured.

·
Banned
734 Posts
ya but van bastin won an euro title in 88, and champions league titles. i rank euro as more prestige reward then the world cup, only because it is much harder to win.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
roma/totti said:
i rank euro as more prestige reward then the world cup, only because it is much harder to win.

:howler: :howler: :howler:

Euro does not have Brasil and Argentina.
World Cup > Euro.

·
Registered
893 Posts
One outstanding European Nations Tournament, one bad World Cup, one bad European Nations Tournament: not really the record of someone you can call the greatest. Still, tall, dark, handsome, elegant - he really looked the part didn't he? He looked exactly like what a centre-forward should look like and had the complete range of skills, but whether he was better than the others is another matter.

·
Banned
734 Posts
brasileiro said:
:howler: :howler: :howler:

Euro does not have Brasil and Argentina.
World Cup > Euro.

ya and euros don't have saudi arabia,tunisa,trinidad and tobago,togo,iran

there no easy groups, like spain's in this world cup, or frances

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
roma/totti said:
ya but van bastin won an euro title in 88, and champions league titles. i rank euro as more prestige reward then the world cup, only because it is much harder to win.

That is why South American teams have won the world cup 9 times against only 8 of the minnows of Europe :wallbang:

No, Van Basten was not the best ever.... great player though

·
Banned
734 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
That is why South American teams have won the world cup 9 times against only 8 of the minnows of Europe :wallbang:

No, Van Basten was not the best ever.... great player though

9 times by 3 teams, 8 times by 4 teams

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
roma/totti said:
9 times by 3 teams, 8 times by 4 teams
I see... and your point is???

I cant say who was the best of all, but for sure MVB is among the best ever, with Ronaldo, Romario, Batistuta, and a few more.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
SOC_FAN said:
did van basten play in usa 94'?
His career was sadly ended prematurely before then,Just imagine what MVB still could've accomplished had his career not been cut so short.I'd certainly put him higher than Romario he was the complete player where IMO Romario was more of a self centred forward.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts