Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes

Nobody is above team officials.Especially Roy should have remebered that he is a senior man and should not have lost his head.I am agreat fan of Roy myself but he learnt his lesson now.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i think he had no choice, IMO he showed true character when he sendt roystan home.

i never liked keane, and heard that the other players clapped when he was sendt home

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
I don't quite agree. I am sure there could have been a solution to this dispute in some other way....Keane is just too important for Ireland to be axed like that. They will miss him dearly.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Absolutely YES YES YES.

Put yourself into ****'s shoe. Being called 'Fu(king Wanker' is a very very serious humiliation.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
...and Roy Keane will regret that he lost so stubitly the chance to play in World Cup...

·
Registered
547 Posts
utopia said:
I don't quite agree. I am sure there could have been a solution to this dispute in some other way....Keane is just too important for Ireland to be axed like that. They will miss him dearly.......:rolleyes:
I have to agree with utopia. There has to have been an alternative to this. As is said in this article

"Last week, Dunphy was in no doubt where the blame lay for his friend's extraordinary final days as an Ireland player. Before he'd been sacked, he had done no more than articulate legitimate concerns; after the fall, whatever the excesses of his argument with McCarthy, it was the manager who ultimately got it wrong.

As someone commissioned for what is no doubt a reasonable fee to write Keane's book, Dunphy would be expected to say that. But I think Dunphy is right. It was the punch McCarthy didn't have to throw. Because it was a fight he didn't have to pick. "

from
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2002/countries/story/0,11936,722543,00.html

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Bollocks, Keane wanted to go home, he made it quite clear.

·
Registered
547 Posts
dubh-ban said:
Bollocks, Keane wanted to go home, he made it quite clear.
Bollocks yourself. Keane was not in a good frame of mind - that is clear, but he did not WANT to go home. He WANTED the problems that he was having to be addressed - there is a big difference.

If he WANTED to go home he would have done so when he threatened to the day before. The fact that he didn't says a lot. He WANTED to stay and get on with it despite the problems but, eventually, his anger just got the better of him and the rest is history.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
My take on the Keane-**** bust up.

Players agreed with what I said - Keane

1. "Roy Keane insists he still had the support of some of his Republic of Ireland team-mates even after his bust-up with **** McCarthy".

-If true, demonstrates that Keane wasn't completely in the wrong. There's always another side to the story.

2.Keane was ordered home for criticising the team's training base in Saipan.

-It's true. But why should that matter so much? No one and nothing in this world is above criticism.

3. "**** showed the players a copy of the Irish Times and an interview I had done. He said I was turning against the players. It just wasn't true," said Keane.

-If this is true then **** is a **** disturber himself. **** should have had it in him to let it slide. **** was obviously trying to gain support for his battle.

4. "But he said that if I couldn't respect him then I shouldn't play for him and that's when I walked out. When I left the room I felt I was on my own.

-So what if Keane didn't respect him. What? The player has to respect the coach? What is the coach above the player? How about the respect that Keano demanded. He wanted some changes and **** would have none of it. Seems to me **** had a bit too much pride in his preparations.

5. "Some people are sheep and some are wolves. There are a lot of sheep over there and probably I am a wolf - that's my honest assessment.

-And this is the god awful truth. Keane is a wolf, no doubt. Problem is, so is ****. You can't have two wolfs going at it.

6. "But at the team hotel, following the meeting, several players came to see me. Two of them said they had completely agreed with what I'd said but didn't want to place themselves in jeopardy.

-This to me means that the players are afraid of Micke and understand full well that Micke is not afraid to send anyone home. I don't know about you guys, but in Portugal Oliveira shows a mutual respect for his bigger players. He feels he's not above them. As an example: when Portugal tied Holland 2-2, Joao Pinto looked obviously pissed off that he didn't get to play. Oliveira went up to him, embraced him and walked away with him arm in arm whilst telling him "the result is what matters...we won't and you helped us get here".

-Micke would never do that, he's too much a man with a whole lot of pride and believes too much in himself. Thing is: Keane is exactly the same.

7. "Frankly, the players were joking on the bus that it was like playing for the Dog and Duck".

"Many of them agreed with me that the training pitch and the other part of the preparations were just a complete nonsense. The pitch was rock hard and players were at risk.

-To me Keane is the teams captain and spokesperson. He is also a man of his word and principle. If he feels something is not right then he tries to fix it. He understood full well how the Irish management handled the issue and knew they were beyond approach.

8. "Not only that - we were supposed to have salt water drinks to keep us in shape. They hadn't arrived. Neither had the skips so we were left without boots or training kit. We had to use our casual wear for training. It was chaos. Just a joke.

-If this is true then Keane has a point! What a joke is right! This is the friggin' World Cup!!

9. "I went to see **** in his room three days before it finally blew up. I told him of my concerns. I was acting in the best interests of the other players. As the captain I think that is my responsibility. He agreed with the points I made to him, but nothing happened. He said he had been given promises that the facilities would be right. I said you can't rely on promises when the World Cup is at stake."

-See what I said for quote #7. I hadn't read this quote prior to #7 but this solidifies what I thought.

10. Keane claims his slanging-match with McCarthy, in front of his team-mates, arose after the boss accused him of faking injury in previous internationals.

He said, she said.

11. He said: "I have huge pride in the Irish nation and that has not altered. But I will never be accused of faking injury and letting down my country, particularly when the accusations are made in front of the rest of the players. "That's why I reacted the way I did and I don't feel sorry about any aspect of it.

-If this is true then Keane has a point. Apparently this had been brewing for quite some time. **** obvioulsy is not the better man. As a coach he should've found a diplomatic solution to iron out difficulties. But being the old fashioned person he is, his pride took over and his "I'm the f*cking coach, no one messes with me" attitude took precedence.

12. "Now, suddenly, the accusations were being repeated. And it was in front of all the players, not in private. In the privacy of a room with ****, I could have handled it, discussed it.

-You see my point? **** is obviously not all there himself. Keane is obviously a man of privacy and is enormously proud. **** must have known this and didn't give a rat's ass.

13. "But I exploded. It wasn't right to treat me in that way. **** was definitely putting a challenge down to me. Without a doubt it was all set up for me to react. I was being provoked and I swear on my children's lives it was being done deliberately.

-I believe this to be true. **** is very confrontational himself. He has shown in the past that he lacks diplomacy. When confronted before the Ireland-Portugal game about Fernando Couto he simply uttered something about "...it's right that he's not playing. He took steroids and that's that". That's plain wrong. The Portuguese coach was in utter disbelief that he refused to shake hands with **** after the match.

14. Keane also reveals that his feud with McCarthy is a long-running affair which dates back to the mid-1990s.

-I had a feeling this was the case.

15. "A few years back in America, when we played in the US Cup, there was an argument between us when **** was still captaining the team," said Keane. "A few of us got drunk out there and **** had a go at us on the team bus. I turned round and told him where to go. "In those days he was always sitting next to Jack Charlton and the lads joked that he was just after the manager's job. But ****'s last words to me following the altercation were: 'I'll get you back some day. It may not be now or even next week.' Eventually, this week, I feel he has got his revenge. I really do."

-Wow. This is **** McCarthy is a nut shell. Keane's obviously a hothead but **** let's you know not to f*ck with him.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Re: My take on the Keane-**** bust up.

Fee-Go said:
10. Keane claims his slanging-match with McCarthy, in front of his team-mates, arose after the boss accused him of faking injury in previous internationals.

He said, she said.

11. He said: "I have huge pride in the Irish nation and that has not altered. But I will never be accused of faking injury and letting down my country, particularly when the accusations are made in front of the rest of the players. "That's why I reacted the way I did and I don't feel sorry about any aspect of it.

-

for that alone, I support Keano. What decent professional wouldn't blow his top after his international manager publicly disputes injuries he's had, that put him out the united set up for months, and infers he bottled it!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
too many times have both Keane and Irwin woken up the day after an Irish game and gone back to Manchester "injured" when Ireland had another game the following saturday/wednesday. Only 50 caps in 11/12 years speaks for itself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What am I hearing? You support Keano because he has the right to insult the manager?

He apparently thought that he was indispensible...

No-one is bigger than the Country.

It is not the first time that he has flied off the handle.

He is nothing but a pompus over-grown kid.

He did not want to be there in the first place and he insulted his way off the team.

I wish Ireland advances just to prove to that malcontent that he can not derail the hopes of millions by being insolent to authority.

And he claims to be a professional? Oh Puuuleeze!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts