Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Diego Maradona's sensational goal against England in the 1986 World Cup simply the best ever scored in the game,or can it be contested by other's?

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
My overwhelming pro-DB10 bias says that Bergkamp's against Argentina at France '98 was better but, eh, whatever.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
It is commonly accepted as the best ever, but, of course, that doesn't mean that it is.

It was truly spectacular though.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
not sure, very good goal but watch it again....when hes in his own half he ruins to england players, fair enough...from then on though the defending is woeful at best

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
2,631 Posts
Over the years, there have been several goals where a players dribbles past everyone and scores. However, only Maradona scored it against a world-class opposition..

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
I dont think so, there's no Best ever goal but it was truly wonderfull.

BTW what was the best goal in WC 98?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
voka_gsw said:
Over the years, there have been several goals where a players dribbles past everyone and scores. However, only Maradona scored it against a world-class opposition..
it was against England

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, he scored a similar goal against Belgium too, so I can't really make up my mind which is the best goal..........anyway those goals against Belgium and England respectively are the best goals ever. :thumbsup:

There will never be another player quite like :proud: GRANDE DIEGO :proud:

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Zlatan with ajax vs NAC i think :tongue:

still it was chosen best goal in 2004 by eurosport, when he dribbled past 4 players minimum i recall.

also his goal x Italy with his heel rocked.

T

·
0 Posts
It is considered as such because of the stage (WC), the opposition (England) and the importance of his performance in that match... But for me Ronaldo's goal against Santiago de Compostela was better.. He was pulled, pushed, held, and he managed to get from his half to the goal using first amazing ball control and strength, 2nd unparalleled speed, 3rd will to beat all the players close to the box and balance to shot the ball while falling.. It was definately much more contested defensively than Maradona's goal but of course the stage doesn't help the case much.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Il_Grande! said:
Zlatan with ajax vs NAC i think :tongue:

still it was chosen best goal in 2004 by eurosport, when he dribbled past 4 players minimum i recall.

also his goal x Italy with his heel rocked.
I score Zlatan-NAC goals like that all the time in my Friday afternoon kickabouts against very very very very amateur opposition (whereas I'm just amateur).

Maradona did it in a World Cup semi-final out of nowhere, and made England look like NAC.

Bit of context, really. For pure aesthetics of course it's not the best, Maradona has scored better when he was eight years old.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts