Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
personally no...he just got the royal treatment, thuram,desailly and j.zanetti were better...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He was one of them, but I will not say who is because there is no answer although Cannavaro has been my favourite, especially when at Parma!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deano said:
He was one of them, but I will not say who is because there is no answer although Cannavaro has been my favourite, especially when at Parma!
Actually deano, i agree he was one of them, but when it to ability i feel players like thuram and cafu were ahead of maldini...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Cafu is a different type of defender. Maldini as a defender was surely better than Cafu but obviously on the ball less so. Thuram has been pure class in his time, but again I do not like to compare legends of this game :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Deano, do you think the paolo's allegance to milan aka- italy's biggest club with juve played a role..

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
2,631 Posts
thuram,desailly and j.zanetti were better...
You're correct actually - Zanetti and Thuram were better right backs, and Desailly was better midfielder than Maldini.. of course, none of them was better than Paolo as a defender.. though, Nesta and Cannavaro were the only 2 players in recent history who were on pretty much the same level as Maldini.

Also, since you mentioned Cafu - he was a mediocre defender at best, although because of his incredible attacking skills he was easily the best right back.. ever. :)

·
Registered
45,522 Posts
Not in the last ten years in my opinion. He was formidable till he kept playing on the left flank in my opinion, when he moved to the middle in my opinion he was very good but not the best and in recent years just the name kept him at the highest level.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ToniSamp said:
Not in the last ten years in my opinion. He was formidable till he kept playing on the left flank in my opinion, when he moved to the middle in my opinion he was very good but not the best and in recent years just the name kept him at the highest level.
good post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Well if you can just open a new thread and say Thuram, Desailly were better than Maldini, why cant I say he was BEST LB to play the game ? im sure most people will agree to this.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tifo AC said:
Well if you can just open a new thread and say Thuram, Desailly were better than Maldini, why cant I say he was BEST LB to play the game ? im sure most people will agree to this.
what?? :googly:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
voka_gsw said:
You're correct actually - Zanetti and Thuram were better right backs, and Desailly was better midfielder than Maldini.. of course, none of them was better than Paolo as a defender.. though, Nesta and Cannavaro were the only 2 players in recent history who were on pretty much the same level as Maldini.

Also, since you mentioned Cafu - he was a mediocre defender at best, although because of his incredible attacking skills he was easily the best right back.. ever. :)
ok..so what was it that made maldini a better defender than the three...and with desially, you're right he started of as a midfielder but but his best years were as a defender if you didnt know...

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
SOC_FAN said:
lol... :howler: , ha...you show me some obscure compilation of maldini and then tell me not to compare him with desailly and thuram...yep yu got me :rolleyes:

I thought that would help for someone who hasnt seen Paolo play that much

·
1st Tier Poster
48,798 Posts
Overall there's two reasons why Maldini has rightfully achieved such a legendary status.

The first is that he simply was an excellent player (well, he still is pretty good nowadays too, but nevermind about that). In his prime he combined his main strength, his nearly perfect and stylish defending play with good technical skills and attacking potential. And what has certainly always been a respectable feature about him is that he was never rough and dirty player. His positioning and gamereading skills were his strong point, with that he could do more than some others with rough tackling and fouling. Add to that a good speed and excellent aerial ability and you got yourself a perfect fullback.

The second reason is the sheer lenght and glory of his career combined with his leadership abilities and professional attitude. He is one of the most successful players ever in club level when you look at the trophies he has won. He has played on top level nearly 20 years and been among the key players in his team for most of that time. There is no other current player in world football whose career would be comparable with him. Add to that a fact that he has stayed loyal for his home club for all that time, that he has always been a model of professional attitude and also the capitain and mental leader of the team for nearly a decade after the retirement of Baresi...
And last but not least, 3 seasons ago he was moved to a new position at the centre of the defense. When that season ended, he was widely regarded as the best centre-back in Europe. Not bad for a man of his age.

He is a playing legend, it's as simple as that :proud: :thumbsup:

·
Second Place Winner February Photo Contest
2,631 Posts
SOC_FAN said:
and with desially, you're right he started of as a midfielder but but his best years were as a defender if you didnt know...
Depends what you mean when you say "best years".. playing in best team in world (Milan) as midfielder, or playing in a mediocre English team (Chelsea) as a defender, when you cant cut it in Italy anymore.. tough call that one. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts