Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously a thing over-looked but supposedly - it enhances performance by 15%, and gives you a lesser chance of injury.

When warming-up I normally do 10 minutes of running then 5 minutes stretching, but I should do at least 10 minutes stretching really.

I start with the rotating of the ankles, to the calves, hamstrings, groins, back.

What's the stretches you do? I will post mine up later, because I want to add more stretches to my warm-up/cool-downs.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
I try to stretch my back and knees, because those are places I end up hurting if anywhere in a game. Something to do for a muscle that is oft forgotten is to lay on your back and pull your left leg to you, to where you're kissing your knee. Do this with both legs, you'll feel the muscle it's stretching, and it makes you a lot looser and potentially injury free during your game.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always rotate the hips aswell. Do ten one way, then do ten the other way.

Another one is the stretch sit on the floor on your knee's, and stretch your arms as far forward as possible in a still position, and hold it for ten seconds, gradually trying to reach further.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Static stretching is not recommended prior to workouts not. Its been found to increase injuries actually.

My static stretch I mean the types of stretches where you hold the stretch. This is a relaxing activity, and does not combine with an exciting activity like a workout. Do this type of stretching after the workout.

For warmup, try dymamic stretching/warmup. This involved exagerated movements you will be doing in the workout/sport. So for football, some high knee running and jumping, lateral and reverse running and exagerated shoulder and arm movements.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polaris said:
Static stretching is not recommended prior to workouts not. Its been found to increase injuries actually.

My static stretch I mean the types of stretches where you hold the stretch. This is a relaxing activity, and does not combine with an exciting activity like a workout. Do this type of stretching after the workout.

For warmup, try dymamic stretching/warmup. This involved exagerated movements you will be doing in the workout/sport. So for football, some high knee running and jumping, lateral and reverse running and exagerated shoulder and arm movements.
I've never heard of that, I usually do two stages of my warm-up, (if I was playing a game). I do like ten minutes running before doing the static stretches, then more jogging onto dynamic stretching. That is what I have always been teached also.

Lunges are a good dynamic stretch, and knee's up and flicking your heels e.t.c.

What I want is a few more various stetches I could add to a basic warm-up.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well it is relatively new and is the recommendation now by most sports researchers. I am a recent graduate with an exercise science degree and was taught this at the university and it was confirmed at a symposium I attended held by the NSCA a couple months ago. http://www.nsca-lift.org/

I suggest you save the static stretching for post workout/cool down situatiuons only. The static stretching has also been shown to reduce muscle power output in the short term, which does not help before playing a game, does it? :)

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you seem to know what you're talking about.

But just last season I was coached at my college football academy by a West Ham coach, and he showed our team these warm-ups.

Are there any sites where I can view a whole list of dynamic stretching?

·
Registered
418 Posts
what do you guys think of 'bouncing' when stretching? e.g. when you're sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you, and you're stretching by reaching forward, is it bad to 'rock' forward to increase the reach of your stretch?

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never bounce whilst stretching, I normally hold the stretch in a still position. I got tought that bouncing was bad.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
gray, I would avoid bouncing while stretching. There are nerve mechanisms in muscle that cause the muscle to contract when it is stretched to quickly, like when you bounce. So the muscle will contract while you are forcefully stretching it, which is just asking for an injury. To increase your flexibility, use static/slow stretching. For warmup use dynamic warmup drills.

These links should give you ideas about what to do in a dynamic warmup

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:LI4IbWTap2sJ:www.dsr.wa.gov.au/publications/clubs/Dynamic_Warm_ups.pdf+Dynamic+Warm-up&hl=en

http://www.smscs.ca/services/exphys/whywu.pdf

http://www.naturalstrength.com/features/detail2.asp?ArticleID=1108

http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/2004/0403.sports1.bio.shtml

the basic idea is to do things that you will be doing in the sport. So start with jogging, then running then sprints. Use the ball, and use side-to-side movements also. Run backwards, jump every 5 strides, fall down and get back up and sprint, etc.. you need to be creative! :)

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links. I do dynamics but only 4/5, I want to add to my warm-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts