Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sam Allardyce has left his post at Bolton due to the fact that he has been given a very low transfer budget, big Sam was expecting a war chest to enable him to compete in Europe this season, but the chairman only coughed up a small amount in Sam’s eyes.
Sam took Bolton into Europe with his remarkable tactical abilities last season, in previous years he has signed some gems on free transfers but this year he does not want the hassle.

A few managers are in the frame but the main contender is the young lad Sam has been nurturing to be in this job, while it was expected to happen in years it is expected Sammy lee will be joint manager with the youngster.

Bolton have confirmed a manager will be appointed in the coming days.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today Bolton announced the expected, young 16 year old Ben McIntyre will be taking charge of the club with the help of Sammy lee. During the press conference which was restricted to a minimum by the Bolton board due to the fact McIntyre was new into the lime light and was very nervous,

McIntyre did say however “I thank Mr. Gartside for this great opportunity; I hope to repay the faith shown in me by results shown on the field”.

When asked if he will be strengthening the squad he replied “well there may be a few coming and going but the this team has real quality and I will not be breaking the structure and bond of the team too much”

On that note Mr. Gartside butted in “I am hoping the Bolton fans can follow our ambitions and give Mr. McIntyre the chance he deserves.”

The press conference ended and McIntyre went off to his new office.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
| Overview
| --------------------------------------------------------------------
| Nation England
| Year Founded 1874
| Status Professional
| Reputation National
| Favoured Personnel Sam Allardyce
----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Finances Secure
| Stadium Reebok Stadium, Bolton
| Planned Expansion none

Stadium Capacity 28723 all seater with under-soil heating
--------------------------------------------------------------------- |
Training Ground Top facilities plus youth academy
----------------------------------------------------------------------|
Continental Competition uefa cup
---------------------------------------------------------------------
|
Media Prediction | None

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5th in English Premier Division

the squad, McIntyre has received from big Sam.

| | Name | Position
|-------------------------------------|
| Jussi Jääskeläinen | GK
| ------------------------------------|
| Ian Walker | GK
| Bruno N'Gotty | SW, D RC
| Tal Ben-Haim | SW, D C
| Nicky Hunt | D RC
| Abdoulaye Diagne-Faye | D RC, DM
|Gary Speed | D L, DM, M LC
| Radhi Jaïdi | D C
| Iván Campo | D C, DM
| Martin Djetou | D C, DM
| Ricardo Gardner | D/WB/AM L
| Scott Jamieson | D/M L
| Hidetoshi Nakata | M C
| Stelios Giannakopoulos | AM RC
| Fabrice Fernandes | AM RL
| El-Hadji Diouf | AM RL, F C
| Johann Smith | AM RC, F C
| Henrik Pedersen | AM L, ST
| Jay-Jay Okocha | AM C
| Kevin Nolan | AM C
| Kevin Davies | ST
| Jared Borgetti | ST

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jaaskelainen joined Bolton Wanderers in November 1997 from VPS Vaasa for a fee of £100,000 and has turned out to be a real bargain.

The Finland international soon made himself the number one between the sticks, but a cruciate ligament injury suffered during the Trotters promotion season in 2000/01 ruled him out for some time.

But, as the club embarked on another Premiership season, Jaaskelainen was back to his best. In October 2001, he made one of the best saves ever seen in the Premiership, defying Andy Cole from point blank range at Old Trafford, to secure Bolton a memorable 2-1 win against their Lancashire rivals. He put in a number of fine performances that saw him voted the top flight's best goalkeeper by Barclaycard in 2002/03, and his form continued throughout the following campaign.

Jaaskelainen was ever present in the side throughout the 2003/04 season, something only continued in the 2004/05 campaign which saw him play an integral part in Bolton qualifying for next season's UEFA Cup.

my thoughts " jussi will be my main keeper and i see him as the safest hands in the premiership"

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Nicky Hunt played his first game for the Wanderers in the last game of the 2001/2002 promotion season, coming on as a substitute against Sheffield United. His full league debut, however, came two seasons later against none other than local rivals Manchester United. Since then he has gone on to become a first team regular, as well as representing England at under 21 level.

The Bolton-born right back, who supported the club as a boy, has made over 75 first team appearances for the club, an impressive feat considering he only signed professional forms for the Whites at the beginning of the 2003/04 season.

Nicky is signed until 2008 at the club, but looks set to be a corner-stone of the squad for years to come if he continues to make the progress shown over the last two seasons. Having played with Bruno N'Gotty and Fernando Hierro over the last two years, Nicky has been around experienced pro's who have helped develop his game and establish himself into one of the best young defenders in the country.

my comments " if nicky plays to his best , i think he will be vital this season."

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Bruno joined the club on loan at the start of the 2001/2002 season as Bolton looked to consolidate their status as a Premier League club. Four seasons on, he has become the rock on which the rest of the Wanderers team is based.

The experienced Frenchman, who has also played for Lyon, Paris St Germain, AC Milan and Venezia, is an ever-present in the Wanderers defence, with his no-nonsense style of defending winning him much praise from both the fans and experts. His efforts in defence also earned him the
supporter's player of the year award for the 2004-2005 season.

Possibly the highlight of N'Gotty's esteemed career was scoring the winning goal in the Cup Winners Cup final of 1996, as PSG overcame SK Rapid Wien of Austria 1-0. He also netted his first goal for the Wanderers against Manchester United and, although never a prolific scorer, his goals always seem to come at a crucial time. Hopefully Bruno will have more opportunities to celebrate in a white shirt over the coming seasons.

my comments " brunos experiance can only help my teams push for a european spot"

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Veteran midfielder Gary Speed joined the club last summer for £750,000 after 6 years on Tyneside with Newcastle United. His experience and influence helped the club get into Europe, whilst his gritty, tenacious performances have added extra steel to the Wanderers midfield.

Renowned as a tough-tackling midfielder, Gary has fitted in well with the Bolton set-up since being brought into the squad last year, immediately commanding a place in the starting line-up and playing a part in every league game last term. His danger in the air is also well documented, making a career of scoring headed goals from corners and crosses alike. His crossing is also a danger, with around 1 in four of all attempts in the 2003/04 season creating chances.

Speedo started his career with Leeds, winning the Championship in 1992 before joining Everton and then Newcastle. Now 35, he is in the latter days of a glittering career in which he has captained his country and become holder of the record for most Premier League appearances, playing 706 in his career.

my comments " speed is another well experianced player who could be vital in the centre"

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Stelios Giannakopoulos joined the club from Olympiakos in 2003 with rave reviews after earning a reputation in Greece as a free-scoring midfielder. Although he took a while to adjust to the English game and has not yet become quite as prolific, Stelios is starting to show what he is made of and made a telling contribution to the Wanderers cause last season.

After a relatively quiet first year, 2004 was the season that Stelios showed the premiership his true quality, winning admirers for his tricky play wide on the right and for a collection of stunning goals, particularly the match-winner against Norwich that won the BBC goal of the month competition. This summer he committed his future to the club by signing a new 3 year extension to his contract, after becoming the target of a drawn-out transfer saga in which both Manchester City and Liverpool expressed an interest in the Greek international.

The little winger won the league seven times in his native country and also earned a European championship medal last summer, helping Greece to the title in Portugal after beating the hosts 1-0 in the final. Hopefully he can continue his progress in a white shirt and help himself and the club to further honours.

my comments " stelios is going to be vital for us this season, his attacking skills are superb to watch."

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am taking an intrest in free agent angelos basinas., i see my squad as quite strong, but i am always on the look out for bargains.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Gardner joined Bolton in August 1998. He is capable of playing at full back or on the left side of midfield. He suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury in the 1999-2000 season but re-emerged in the 2000-2001 showing the class that he always promised to show.

He was a remarkably young 14-years-old when he first played professionally for Harbour View in Kingston, Jamaica. A further feat followed in 1996 when he made his debut for Rene Simoes' international team. He has already made over 30 appearances for Jamaica since then, including an honour only afforded to a select group of Bolton players: he has experience in a World Cup finals after his time at France '98.

Gardner's debut in English football was fitting for such a player who never scores an ordinary-looking goal. In September 1998, he came on at West Bromwich Albion for 25 minutes and scored the winner with two minutes to go.

In the 2001/02 season, Gardner made 33 appearances, scoring 3 goals, impressing in his first season in the Barclaycard Premiership.

The young Jamaican built on his growing reputation the following season playing a major role in securing Bolton's topflight status for a second season running. He missed only six league games all season, scoring two goals on the way and picking up one red card.

He started the following season representing his country at the CONCACAF Gold Cup. He was home for the start of the season after Jamaica were eliminated following the group stages, and went on to have another great season for the Trotters, making 26 appearances.

The 2004/05 season saw another fine season in Bolton colours for Gardner. The only downside came from a cartilage problem in his knee which kept him out for much of December.

However, he recovered quickly and clocked up a total of 38 appearances, although he did not score.

He will be hoping to continue his fine form next year, but perhaps find the back of the net more often as Bolton embark upon their first UEFA Cup campaign.

my comments" i am a fond admire of the left sided jamican, he is strong and one of the steadiest full backs in the league."

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The first Academy student to make the step into the first team squad, Nolan made his debut at just 17 in the 1999/2000 season.

He established himself in the first team in Bolton's 2000/2001 campaign in the Nationwide League First Division and made an impression with some precocious displays. He got in the goalscorers list on his England U18s debut in November 2000 against Belgium. Throughout the season, he played 25 times for Wanderers and scored his first league goal against Crewe Alexandra in December 2000 as well as a double strike in the FA Cup against Scunthorpe United.

Instead of being just a prospect as he had been tipped to be, Nolan was a major part of Bolton's successful bid to avoid relegation in 2001/02. He made 39 appearances, scoring 8 goals, including two in Wanderers' opening day drubbing of Leicester, and a late equaliser at Anfield, which meant so much to former Liverpool fan Nolan, who had been rejected by the Reds earlier in his career.

Another notable goal came in Bolton's shock 2-1 win at Old Trafford. Nolan's performances in the high-profile games have built up the reputation of one of the Premiership's brightest young stars.

His reputation grew further in the 2002/03 season when he once again performed on the big stage scoring the winner at Theatre of Dreams for the second time running. Although that was his only goal of the season Nolan played an integral part in Bolton's survival making over 30 Barclaycard Premiership appearances.

His impressive performances continued into the following campaign, where his 12 goals helped Bolton achieve their highest ever finish in the Premiership and reach the League Cup final.

Bolton's ascent continued into the 2004/05 season as the Wanderers finished in sixth place, level on 58 points with Champions League winners Liverpool. Nolan proved to be as integral ever to their success as he played 42 games and scored 4 goals, including the winners in games against Birmingham City and Crystal Palace.

After singing a new deal which will keep him at the Reebok Stadium until 2009, he will be crucial for Bolton's success in future, especially as they embark upon their first season of UEFA Cup football in the 2005/06 campaign.

my comments" kevin is just a brilliant all round player, my captain will be influential as he pushes the team foreword this season."

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mcintyres squad crumbling

today it is believed jay jay okocha went to see rucky manager mcintyre to request a move away from the club, it is not yet quite understood how mcintyre reacted to the request but we will be finding out whether or not he will be leaving the reebok.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

bolton sign basinas
today boltons new manager made his first signing of the new season, basinas will be looking to show his qualities in his first stint in england,
basinas said o his move" stelios my good freind told me that bolton was a very good place to play my football, combine this with the ambition of bolton and the european factor there was no other club for me."
mcintyre said" basinas is a great player who comes here with bags of experiance, basinas will fit in to the formation that i am planning to play perfectly, i am happy to have him here."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts