Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched it yesterday, and I thought it was very, very good. Very well acted and directed, especially Reese Witherspoon was just fantastic but also Joaquin Phoenix was very, very convincing. Both of them are doing their own vocals, which sounded very "authentic" though I guess some techie guy probably had a lot to do with it. ;)

I knew the "story" of course so I actually wanted it to go on and on till his death in order to include his movie career and his more modernised stuff, but overal it was 2+ hours well spent.

I do think you have to like Johnny Cash to like it though, otherwise the story would seem bit "insignificant" because it doesn't really put into perspective his importance as a musician. But then, you really should like Johnny Cash.

Has anyone else seen it?

Bonus track:

Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues
http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=35ILFH01HSAE81P7XE77QNWX85

·
Registered
985 Posts
I liked it a lot, definitely one of the best movies I've seen lately. Good acting, superb music & dialogue... They were able to create this atmosphere which makes that you sit through 2 hours of movie without even realizing it, something few movies are able to do.

I'm actually happy they didn't went on till the end of his live. The movie already gave me a bit of a 'full' impression the way it was, adding a couple of decades would have only made that worse imo.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Yeah, not a bad flick. I've always thought Johnny Cash was a bit of a showboater with all his tough guy, jail bird talk....but credit to him for coming back from drug and alcohol addiction. Bit of a sh!t dad though early on. His family paid a big price for all that music he created.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Reese Witherspoon surprised me. I went from hating her to loving here within 10 minutes. Best piece of new film making I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just seen it and really really enjoyed it. Best film I've seen in a while.
Was very surprised by Reese Witherspoon, like others I did really dislike her but give her credit she can act.

·
Registered
347 Posts
gluck28 said:
Just seen it and really really enjoyed it. Best film I've seen in a while.
Was very surprised by Reese Witherspoon, like others I did really dislike her but give her credit she can act.
have to agree with you, shes really fantastic in this movie and have probably just suffered from bad managment earlier. legaly blond and all that crap. she showed her self to be much better than that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Joaquin Phoenix should have won the Oscar for best actor IMO. He really transformed into Johnny Cash and it's easy to see that we worked really really hard for his performance. I heard that he didn't win just because Jamie Foxx won the best actor at last year's Oscar and the academy didn't want to give another actor portraying a musician twice in a row.
That's just plain stupid, and I believe that this is the second time he's being robbed of Oscar (the first one being the Oscar for best supporting actor for Gladiator). Joaquin Phoenix is truly one of the most underrated actors ever.

I haven't seen Capote and to tell you the truth I didn't even hear about it when it was first released in theatres. My friend who saw both Walk the Line and Capote told me that both Phoenix and Hoffman pulled an incredible performance. But for me, it's just hard to see another actor beat Joaquin's performance in Walk the Line just because his performance is nearly perfect.

But I'm really glad that Reese Witherspoon won the Oscar for best actress. She totally deserves it. I hope she stops doing lousy movies like Legally Blonde and starts doing movies where she can really shows her potential. Way to go, Reese!!!!!!!

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
Is this movie a musical, like Moulin Rouge, Chicago etc?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Rhizoid said:
Is this movie a musical, like Moulin Rouge, Chicago etc?
No, this movie is about the life of a popular country singer named Johnny Cash. The genre is pretty simillar to "Ray" but this movie is much better. You HAVE TO watch this.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
I really like the film. I wasn't blown away and expected to like it a bit more, but it was very good regardless. I found myself ready to clap after a song as if I was at a show. I'm a big Cash fan and thought Joaquin was good (though his singing could never match up). Reese Witherspoon however had me smitten from the beginning. The perfect bit of sass, spunk and looks. Damn was she good in this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts