Xtratime Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new women's league, the W-League, is going ahead from October.

It's an 8 team league with the original seven A-League clubs having a linked women's club, as well as team from Canberra/AIS called Canberra United.

This is pretty good to hear. Women's football, while certainly not as marketable or as profitable as men's football, does have its place in the game. The Matilda's have done exceptionally well in the last few years, think of what they could achieve with an actual domestic league?

I'll be highly miffed if we don't call ours the Redettes though.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
i watched Perth vs Sydney today, its on ABC if anyone's interested, and honestly, the sydney team play better football than their male counterparts. i was very impressed, the game was highly entertaining and this isnt my first time watching womens football. i watched the olympics, but to be honest this match was class.

lots of one touch passes, flicks, back heels, give and go, through balls in all manners, it was great to watch.

sydney won 0-4.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I swear some of these teams if not the Matildas would give some of the teams in the A-League a good shout. Obviously physicality would be an issue but in the last few years the women, even in the local state league have showed some great stuff.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Matildas will turn into a pretty handy team once the girls have regular football at a semi-competitive level. It'd be a huge achievement for them to get to the level of the US, Germany or Brazil, but ... only a few years ago Brazil were rubbish in women's football. Now they've made the last two finals. Improvement is a real possibility.

The Redettes got spanked today though. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts