Xtratime Community banner

Vote for Hagi!!!

2K views 88 replies 11 participants last post by  PMC 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I've never seen a more lopsided poll. Something has to be wrong with it. I do think that Hagi is a very deserving candidate but for there to be that much disparity, it makes the poll less credible. I can see why Romario and Batistuta got so few votes, because most South Americans don't visit Eurosport website. But for Maldini and Schmeichel to only get 1 percent, while Hagi and Stoichkov get like 50 percent each sends a red flag to me.

#7 ·
Gonzo77 said:
I've never seen a more lopsided poll. Something has to be wrong with it. I do think that Hagi is a very deserving candidate but for there to be that much disparity, it makes the poll less credible. I can see why Romario and Batistuta got so few votes, because most South Americans don't visit Eurosport website. But for Maldini and Schmeichel to only get 1 percent, while Hagi and Stoichkov get like 50 percent each sends a red flag to me.

personally I find the poll really strange, how can it not have Baggio in it for a start!
no offense, but Hagi shouldnt be in that poll, Im a huge fan of Hagi's style but he was nothing more than a squad player at Madrid and was lucky at times to make the Barcelona bench. He only flourished in club football in the Turkish league... which is not exactly the highest level.

players such as Klinsmann, Baggio, Sammer, Deschamps are far more worthy IMO.

#14 ·
you think he was a leading player at Barca?
you should know :)

if I remember correctly he never even played in the CL in 94/95 and certainly in the two years he was there he only made appearences by sometimes coming of the subs bench.

and going from Real Madrid to relegate and play in Seria B with Brecia is not the form of one of the greatest players of the 90s is it?

#17 ·
Drulo said:
I voted for Hagi, how could you say he doesn't deserve to be on that list man? The guy was a magician and although the others were great also, he was definately the most entertaining player on that list.

its the truth!
hey David I like Hagi, and I have all the video clips! :cool:

but compare him to Stoichkov, Hristo led Barcelona to several la liga titles and cup (including one European cup) he was not a bit part player.
he was a key player.

He also won Fifa world player of the year, how many times has Hagi come close to winning that?

#18 ·
Bentex said:
you think he was a leading player at Barca?
you should know :)

if I remember correctly he never even played in the CL in 94/95 and certainly in the two years he was there he only made appearences by sometimes coming of the subs bench.

and going from Real Madrid to relegate and play in Seria B with Brecia is not the form of one of the greatest players of the 90s is it?
His problems at Real Madrid and Barça hadn´t relation with his quality. And I know what I´m talking about ;)

#19 ·
Bentex said:
but compare him to Stoichkov, Hristo led Barcelona to several la liga titles and cup (including one European cup) he was not a bit part player.
he was a key player.

He also won Fifa world player of the year, how many times has Hagi come close to winning that?
Some minutes ago you compared him to Deschamps...

#22 · (Edited)
Bentex said:
its the truth!

he was a key player.

Hagi lead Galatasaray to winning the UEFA Cup against Arsenal and lead Steaua to winning the Super Cup against Dynamo Kyiev...And winning the UEFA Cup with Galatasaray was definitely a more challenging rather than Stoichkov winning it with Barca (if he this did I am not even sure)

(I'm not even mentioning Turkish league). In Spain he wasn't allowed to play as often for some strange reason, but when he played he scored some memorable goals...

But how was his performance less significant than Hristo's...Not to mention the fact that it was harder for Galata to win the UEFA Cup than it would have been for Barcelona.

#23 ·
Bentex said:
its the truth!

he was a key player.

dude what are u on about? Hagi played in the Champions Cup final in 1989 for Steaua, helped em get to a 2nd final within 3yrs, helped Galatasaray win the Uefa cup in 2000...scored 35 goals for Romania from a midfield role, his still our highest leading goal scorer, and he wasnt even striker. What he did in the 1994 World Cup was magic, and is'nt that something when u can pull big things out with a smaller club like Galatasaray and win a Uefa Cup? Stoichkov had good players along side him at Barca...please bro!!!

#24 · (Edited)
:dielaugh: Deschamps!!!

Hagi would run circles around Deschamps. All great players have had bad form at some point during their careers. Even Ronaldo was benched.
But what Hagi achieved is quite impressive. Let's see how many teams he led to success.

Steaua - 1987 Supercup winners
Steaua - 1988 Champion's Cup semifinalist
Steaua - 1989 Champion's Cup finalist
Romania - 1990, 1994, 1998 world cup appearances, 1996, 2000 European appearances. 5 out of those 6 big tournament appearances, he led his team to at least the 2nd round.
Galatasaray - 2000 Uefa Cup Champions

#25 ·
Gonzo77 said:
:dielaugh: Deschamps!!!

Hagi would run circles around Deschamps. All great players have had bad form at some point during their careers. Even Ronaldo was benched.
But what Hagi achieved is quite impressive. Let's see how many teams he led to success.

Steaua - 1987 Supercup winners
Steaua - 1988 Champion's Cup semifinalist
Steaua - 1989 Champion's Cup finalist
Romania - 1990, 1994, 1998 world cup appearances, 1996, 2000 European appearances. 5 out of those 6 big tournament appearances, he led his team to at least the 2nd round.
Galatasaray - 2000 Uefa Cup Champions

He also won the european supercup with Galatasaray against REAL MADRID!!!!!!! When he got there Galatasaray was just a team with an unpronounceable name to the world, and he made it a respected one. And he did all this being over 30. At that age many players above mentioned where retired (Just look at Zidane, Figo or Rivaldo being only 32)

And Deschamps :confused: Just throw a ball to him and one to Hagi and the choice is clear

#26 ·
Marius said:
But how was his performance less significant than Hristo's...Not to mention the fact that it was harder for Galata to win the UEFA Cup than it would have been for Barcelona.

UEFA Cup? great! :D real acheivment :) nice to beat the teams that finished 5th in their respective leagues and 3rd in the CL group stage.
somebody who does that really warrents a title of best player of the 90s.
not to mention the 0-5 thrashing they got from Chelsea.
you go on like the UEFA cup and Supercup actually means something.
you would be really proud of the Houllier regime if you were a liverpool fan.

the difference is Stoichkov was a key player winning la liga titles and the European cup and something that Hagi has never been close to emulating. Stoichkov did it at the highest level won Fifa world player of the year .... Hagi never reached such a high level. Mutu was a success in Seria A again something which Hagi never acheived. He was relegated and played in Seria B.

Drei said:
dude what are u on about? Hagi played in the Champions Cup final in 1989 for Steaua, helped em get to a 2nd final within 3yrs, helped Galatasaray win the Uefa cup in 2000...scored 35 goals for Romania from a midfield role, his still our highest leading goal scorer, and he wasnt even striker. What he did in the 1994 World Cup was magic, and is'nt that something when u can pull big things out with a smaller club like Galatasaray and win a Uefa Cup? Stoichkov had good players along side him at Barca...please bro!!!
and that makes him the best player of the 90s?? :confused: :confused:

The Rumaniac said:
He also won the european supercup with Galatasaray against REAL MADRID!!!!!!! When he got there Galatasaray was just a team with an unpronounceable name to the world, and he made it a respected one. And he did all this being over 30. At that age many players above mentioned where retired (Just look at Zidane, Figo or Rivaldo being only 32)
like I said to Marius, this not the form of one of the greatest players of the 90s

The Rumaniac said:
And Deschamps :confused: Just throw a ball to him and one to Hagi and the choice is clear
Deschamps would intercept it and pass it to Zidane, Baggio or Del Piero :pp

you cannot compare Hagi to Deschamps. Deschamps was the backbone of 3 of the greatest teams of the 90s.
if you were making a dream team of the 90s Deschamps will be in everyone line up.... he was the best defensive midfield player of his generation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.