Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Hi and welcome Mateo

I know who you are, isn't it? :)

uefa.com users' Team of 2003:
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus FC), Paulo Ferreira (FC Porto) Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Paolo Maldini (AC Milan), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid CF), Luís Figo (Real Madrid CF), David Beckham (Real Madrid CF) :eek:, Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid CF), Pavel Nedved (Juventus FC), Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC), Ruud van Nistelrooij (Manchester United FC).

Coach: José Mourinho (FC Porto).

uefa.com users' Team of 2002:
Rüstu Reçber (Fenerbahçe SK), Carles Puyol (FC Barcelona), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Cristian Chivu (AFC Ajax), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid CF), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan), Michael Ballack (FC Bayern München), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid CF), Damien Duff (Blackburn Rovers FC), Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC), Ronaldo (Real Madrid CF).

Coach: Senol Günes (Turkey).

uefa.com users' Team of 2001:

Santiago Cañizares (Valencia CF), Cosmin Contra (Deportivo Alavés), Sami Hyypiä (Liverpool FC), Patrik Andersson (FC Barcelona), Bixente Lizarazu (FC Bayern München), David Beckham (Manchester United FC), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal FC), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid CF), Kily González (Valencia CF), Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC), David Trezeguet (Juventus FC).
Coach: Gérard Houllier.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
That UEFA team vote thing is messed up. I can vote multiple times for some positions (so I click, vote, says the vote is ok, then I vote again for another player). But for some positions (central midfield, right midfielder (giuly)) I can't vote AT ALL! It says I already voted, while I did NOT! FFS

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
So um, Barça players we can vote on are:

CENTRE BACK: Puyol
RIGHT MIDFIELD: Giuly
ATTACKING MIDFIELD: Deco, Ronaldinho
FORWARD: Larsson

Kinda of strange we can't vote for Eto'o and Xavi.

·
40,147 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Kinda of strange we can't vote for Eto'o and Xavi.
Not that strange... Xavi has never got the fame that others have. Why? Maybe because he wasn't very efficient in the DM. I recall that some time ago I was completely mad with Xavi, he was supposed to cover Guardiola's place, but he's not Guardiola... actually, he doesn't feel comfortable having defensive tasks. The best Xavi appeared one year and a half ago when Davids came to Barça and Xavi had more freedom on the pitch.

Eto'o? He's one of the best scorers in Europe and many people still deny his quality. Samuel Eto'o could have gone to a big team before. His fame out of Spain was small, but the ones that could watch him very often knew that this player was great. Besides he was a crazy player and Luis Aragones (yes, Luis Aragones) did a great job with him. His first great moment was that unforgettable Copa final that Mallorca won. I don't know if you saw that match, but I felt in love with him that day... It was the first time that I thought: "I wish we had him". Of course, his matches against Real Madrid made him big too, especially the day that they won 1-5 in the Bernabeu, when Eto'o humilliated Roberto Carlos; and last season (0-3?), when he humilliated the whole Madrid defense. If Europe doesn't know him yet, they'll know him soon. Better for us.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Not that strange... Xavi has never got the fame that others have. Why? Maybe because he wasn't very efficient in the DM. I recall that some time ago I was completely mad with Xavi, he was supposed to cover Guardiola's place, but he's not Guardiola... actually, he doesn't feel comfortable having defensive tasks. The best Xavi appeared one year and a half ago when Davids came to Barça and Xavi had more freedom on the pitch.
Whoa. Xavi is still considered by many in the football world to still be our best player this season. Regardless though, he is doing his defensive tasks to a T. He's been tracking back all season and has been very effective in doing so. I agree that he's better when he has more freedom, but he's still having a very good season on both sides of the ball.

·
40,147 Posts
.BLAUGRANA. said:
Whoa. Xavi is still considered by many in the football world to still be our best player this season. Regardless though, he is doing his defensive tasks to a T. He's been tracking back all season and has been very effective in doing so. I agree that he's better when he has more freedom, but he's still having a very good season on both sides of the ball.
This is true in this season... maybe, also in the last months of the previous. But we should take a look to our old threads in WFB to read what many of us said about him... including me, BTW.

I'm not exactly saying that he's poor defending, but he's the weakest part of the midfield in this sense. Objectively, Deco and Marquez put more fight, just because they're this way. In any case, our defensive system is not based in a single player, like Makelele in Madrid some years ago, the key of the system is the total pressure from Eto'o until the last defender. Just take a look to what happens when we lose a ball. A normal team tends to run back and everyone takes his position. Instead, Barça starts the pressure with the player who is closest to the ball... no matter if it's Eto'o, Iniesta or whoever. The last example was the match against Albacete and how Iniesta(!) stole a ball to their defender in their own box! Xavi takes profit of all this, but I don't think that he's that great defending.

Xavi definitely suffers when he has to be the anchor man. If he had to play where Marquez is playing right now, he would suffer much more.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Hmm, if Xavi is the weakest link and we could get a player like Gerrard cheap, would you replace Xavi with Gerrard? For the good of the team we should do it, but I like Xavi.

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Hmm, if Xavi is the weakest link and we could get a player like Gerrard cheap, would you replace Xavi with Gerrard? For the good of the team we should do it, but I like Xavi.

I'd keep Xavi over Gerrard... I don't know why you think he'd make a better playmaker over Xavi...

And I DON'T want to see another one of those EPL fan tirades here... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
i would keep xavi over any EPL playmaker!! :cool:
this guy is our most consistent player and people still underrate him!! :stress: :wallbang:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koeman4 said:
Hi and welcome Mateo

For sure you know how i am, we talked a lot before.
I join you and others members right there, and try to be more present than my beginning.

I'm not posting a lot there, just need to go on.

You're very active there, if you need me for translating spanish covers tell me, i'll happy to help you.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Barcawinner said:
I don't consider Xavi a playmaker. :\
agree with you! mostly he is not a playmaker but sometime he play as a playmaker!

·
Boti Boti Boti
10,303 Posts
mateo21 said:
Koeman4 said:
Hi and welcome Mateo

For sure you know how i am, we talked a lot before.
I join you and others members right there, and try to be more present than my beginning.

I'm not posting a lot there, just need to go on.

You're very active there, if you need me for translating spanish covers tell me, i'll happy to help you.

Lucho21???? IS THAT YOU?? WOOOOOOOHOOOO???? :cool:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zyad said:
Lucho21???? IS THAT YOU?? WOOOOOOOHOOOO???? :cool:
yes zyad, it's me !

I'm not under Lucho 21 because one keep it for him :googly: but i'm here on xtratime since few times but i didn't post a lot. I begin to post more because we always have something to say about barça :hopefull:

nice to see you too

·
40,147 Posts
mateo21 said:
yes zyad, it's me !

I'm not under Lucho 21 because one keep it for him :googly: but i'm here on xtratime since few times but i didn't post a lot. I begin to post more because we always have something to say about barça :hopefull:

nice to see you too
Mateo, check your PMs :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mohammad said:
agree with you! mostly he is not a playmaker but sometime he play as a playmaker!
i'm ok with you guys he's not the typical n°10 as Zidane is, but he is a defensive midfield in barça tradition since Guardiola, and it is the man who control the game and give good assists.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts