Xtratime Community banner

261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
46,351 Posts
I wouldn't say Barella is a leader in the normal sense currently. But he looks to be one in the future.
😎

Inter are planning to make Nicolo Barella a future club captain, according to an Italian media report today.

Barella starred in last night’s Derby d’Italia win over Juventus at San Siro, scoring one goal and setting up another in a 2-0 win for Antonio Conte’s side.

Reports on Monday warned that the midfielder had interest from Premier League giants Liverpool and Tottenham, but Inter have no intention of letting the 23-year-old leave the club.

CalcioMercato.com claim that Barella is establishing himself more and more of a leader in Conte’s Inter and for this reason club executives have identified him as a possible captain for the future.

Current captain Samir Handanovic is out of contract at the end of the season and while there has been talk of a potential contract renewal, it is clear that Inter will need to appoint a new captain soon.

Barella has caught the eyes of many with his continued good performances for Inter, with whom he is under contract until the end of the 2023-24 season.

This season, the Italian national team player has made 25 appearances across all competitions to date, in which he has scored two goals and provided a total of eight assists for his teammates.

·
Registered
63,344 Posts
Probably Skriniar or De Vrij are better choices after Handanovic leaves but I think Samir will still be here next season anyhow.

·
Registered
46,351 Posts
I'd say Brozovic is the natural choice after Samir because of how long he's been at Inter (in a week, he begins his 7th year as an Inter player) and his role as a fulcrum on the pitch. He also takes younger players under his wing. De Vrij has to be in serious contention because he's the organizer of the defence and because of his age (months older than Brozo; both born in '92). And, of course, he's been Captain for both Feyenoord and the Netherlands.

I guess Conte sees Brozo as the natural choice as well and also places a lot of importance on how long one has been at the club (like most do). Skriniar captained the side before but neither Samir nor Brozovic started the match (away to Udinese last season; we won 2-0). Brozo was Captain when Samir was out in our 4-2 Derby win last season.

·
Registered
63,344 Posts
Yeah Brozovic captain makes sense as well. Him, Samir, DD and the Frog all arrived pre Suning. Danilo arrived before Brozovic but you can't make a squad player captain. A bit like the Frog losing captaincy to Icardi when Murillo and Miranda arrived in 2015

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
63,344 Posts
I'd say Brozovic is the natural choice after Samir because of how long he's been at Inter (in a week, he begins his 7th year as an Inter player) and his role as a fulcrum on the pitch. He also takes younger players under his wing. De Vrij has to be in serious contention because he's the organizer of the defence and because of his age (months older than Brozo; both born in '92). And, of course, he's been Captain for both Feyenoord and the Netherlands.

I guess Conte sees Brozo as the natural choice as well and also places a lot of importance on how long one has been at the club (like most do). Skriniar captained the side before but neither Samir nor Brozovic started the match (away to Udinese last season; we won 2-0). Brozo was Captain when Samir was out in our 4-2 Derby win last season.
Padelli in goal due to Samir finger injury yeah

Did well in Udine but not in derby

Reactions: Firdaus

·
Registered
285 Posts
Brozovic has had several episodes of being on bad terms with the club though and been close to leaving a few times.

Latest was just a few months ago in October when he was inches away from being swapped for Paredes.

Doubt he is captain material, he strikes me as a dubious character. Fined for drunk driving as well.

De vrij would be the obvious captain for me.

·
Registered
46,351 Posts
No doubt the club wanted to sell Brozo after the driving and hospital episodes. But that looks to be water under the bridge now. He's playing, he's contributing, he's important, fans love him, etc. As long as he remains a starter, he ought to be first in line.

De Vrij is absolutely Captain material, yes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dunno if the fans love him.

I have never been a big fan of his tbh, though that incredibly lame 'epic brozo' horsesh*t that went around for awhile plays a big part in that.

·
Registered
46,351 Posts
Deal with it. 😎

·
Registered
17,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
My issue with him is that he tires badly after a few matches and his performances drop off badly.

If he's not 100% or he's played 2/3 games in he space of a few days, he can be genuinely awful and make costly mistakes.

But when he's on form, there are few better registas in Serie A IMO.

·
Registered
63,344 Posts
I believe he is the Inter player with the most kms and passes

·
Registered
46,351 Posts
Yeah, that sounds right. He was reported to be the player with the most distance covered in the league and he even broke the World Cup record for distance covered in the Semis vs England. It's no wonder he used to get tired, especially when he was the only midfielder who took on the DM's work (Vecino ran a lot but didn't contribute anywhere near enough defensively). Now that he has Barella - who is also a hard runner who tracks back to do defensive work - and Vidal, he doesn't have the whole weight on his shoulders anymore.

261 - 273 of 273 Posts