Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm probably gonna visit Portugal this summer, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which cities to visit, and what places to see or not to see.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Well, definaltely Lisbon is a must especially Belém, a part of the city slightly outside. There you have alongside famous sights such as Torre de Belém or the Estdio Restelo ;) a beatyful park and one of the oldest coffee-shops (pastelaria are those called in P) in Lisbon with very very tasty food, plus great ambiente. Belém is definately worth spending an afternoon.
Then, back in centre Lisbon, theres a hughe bus-station near the metro-station Saldahna from where you can leave for cheap prices (and faster then with portuguese trains) to other cities worth to visit such as Evora, where they have a chapel, completely build of bones inside (capella dos ossos ... impressive IMO) and various other old buildings. The whole city looks like a setting to a timetravel back to the medieval. One of the best places I've seen in P. Then there is Coimbra, the city with the oldest university in P and home of first division club Academica Coimbra. Near Coimbra (a local bus will bring you there) lies the village Conimbrica where one can view the excavations of an old roman village.
Okay that was my tips for the region around Lisbon. I've never been to Porto though ;) but I know that the south, Algarve, has some good places to offer, worth a visit.
So long, enjoy your trip and yeah make sure to see the Estadio da Luz (blue line, metro station: Colgio Militar/Luz ... Theres a hughe shopping centre nearby from where you easily make to to the stadium.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bier said:
Well, definaltely Lisbon is a must especially Belém, a part of the city slightly outside. There you have alongside famous sights such as Torre de Belém or the Estdio Restelo ;) a beatyful park and one of the oldest coffee-shops (pastelaria are those called in P) in Lisbon with very very tasty food, plus great ambiente. Belém is definately worth spending an afternoon.
Then, back in centre Lisbon, theres a hughe bus-station near the metro-station Saldahna from where you can leave for cheap prices (and faster then with portuguese trains) to other cities worth to visit such as Evora, where they have a chapel, completely build of bones inside (capella dos ossos ... impressive IMO) and various other old buildings. The whole city looks like a setting to a timetravel back to the medieval. One of the best places I've seen in P. Then there is Coimbra, the city with the oldest university in P and home of first division club Academica Coimbra. Near Coimbra (a local bus will bring you there) lies the village Conimbrica where one can view the excavations of an old roman village.
Okay that was my tips for the region around Lisbon. I've never been to Porto though ;) but I know that the south, Algarve, has some good places to offer, worth a visit.
So long, enjoy your trip and yeah make sure to see the Estadio da Luz (blue line, metro station: Colgio Militar/Luz ... Theres a hughe shopping centre nearby from where you easily make to to the stadium.

Yao! thanx man. I have another question. I've heard that Portugal also had some muslim influence, and like there is still evidence of that in Cordoba, Spain, is there a city like that in Portugal. Like where they would have old mosques and stuff.

·
Registered
438 Posts
@Bier: the bus station is no longer in Saldanha (they're gonna build a garden there). Nowadays it is in Sete Rios (metro/train/bus terminal).

@Zé Tahir: There is nothing in Portugal with the same splendor of Córdoba or even close, when it comes to muslim landmarks. Most of the mosques were transformed in churches in the middle ages. Nevertheless, the sites where such influence was more lasting are in the south of the country. The towns of Mértola (in the Alentejo interior) and Silves (in the Algarve) were important centers during that era, and there's still a bit of that in them. In the Algarve in particular, even if at first sight it is not easy to spot it, the muslim presence is everywhere. For example, in the way the traditional houses are built. You'll find that there is definitely a link with northern Africa.

In the north of the country you have plenty of medieval towns and landmarks.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
You're welcome, Zé.

MCdread said:
@Bier: the bus station is no longer in Saldanha (they're gonna build a garden there). Nowadays it is in Sete Rios (metro/train/bus terminal).
Oh, thanks good to know :)
... hell it's already been a time since I've left Lisbon. I really have saudades now, have to finish my studies quickly and return.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MCdread said:

@Zé Tahir: There is nothing in Portugal with the same splendor of Córdoba or even close, when it comes to muslim landmarks. Most of the mosques were transformed in churches in the middle ages. Nevertheless, the sites where such influence was more lasting are in the south of the country. The towns of Mértola (in the Alentejo interior) and Silves (in the Algarve) were important centers during that era, and there's still a bit of that in them. In the Algarve in particular, even if at first sight it is not easy to spot it, the muslim presence is everywhere. For example, in the way the traditional houses are built. You'll find that there is definitely a link with northern Africa.

In the north of the country you have plenty of medieval towns and landmarks.

Obrigado! Got anymore suggestions as to Porto or Lisboa? What can I really go see there? Are there any hostels there? I'm 20, and i'm goin with a couple of friends.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Yeah in Lisbon there is a hostel near the metro station Picoas but I think you have to be member of some hostel club to stay there.

·
Banned
195 Posts
We Greeks have very fond memories of Portugal ,Lisbon and Portuguese people in general (Olh h lissabona einai ble). We have even fonder memories of the Portuguese NT (Pelates) though who were gracious hosts.
Mention the word "Portugal" to any Greek and he will greet you with a warm smile.
Hopefully 2005 will see the Greek/Portuguese "alliance" continue as Olympiakos is headed to the final of the UEFA cup which I believe will be played in Lisbon.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Yeah, in Estadio Alvalade XI ... Probably against Sporting ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts