Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think hooliganism could increase again? I'm sick of being treated like a hooligan by police when I go to away games but one of these days i'm sure its gonna kick off again when fans rebel.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Do you think hooliganism could increase again? I'm sick of being treated like a hooligan by police when I go to away games but one of these days i'm sure its gonna kick off again when fans rebel.
Have you experienced some harsh treatment then? In England or outside?

Would you agree that Police measures help keep violence in check, fans and people in general will bow down to authority... we're progreammed that way. A rebellion requires conditions to be at their worst for anyone to get off their arse.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
The vast majority of games are over policed. Some games you go to and the police are fine and very low key, others they are really aggressive and heavy handed. Must be whatever the **** they decide in their 'strategy meetings'.

Just to give an example of the latter, our away game at Newcastle last year:

- away fans weren't allowed to go to the toilet during game time unless accompanied by a policeman. WTF is that all about?! Never seen this before or since.

- The group I was with tried to move to some empty seats at the back of the away section so we could stand without bothering anyone else. Weren't allowed. When I asked why not, I was called a 'pissed up dick head' by that particullar member of the Tyneside police. :D

- Police videoed every single fan coming out into the stand then stood at the front on the away section filming for the entire 90 mins despite no sign of trouble. Can't imagine why, there's already CCTV in the ground.

What is the point of all that, other than to piss off ordinary fans?

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
What is the point of all that, other than to piss off ordinary fans?
The Nazis called South Yorkshire Police are by far the worst bunch of six fingered power-hungry spastics in the country. Two seasons ago we played Barnsley away and after the game I was supposed to see my in-laws in Sheffield, but they refused to let me leave Sheffield station. I pleaded and pleaded with them as diplomatically as I could, but the bastards put me on the next train back to Leicester :rollani: - They've always given us grief when we play Wednesday or United away. They are hell bent in making your day a total misery.

A few months ago, I got chucked out at Forest for giving a female police officer the v-sign. I wasn't too bothered about that. It was the 80-something minute and we were getting dicked 5-1.

·
Registered
45,013 Posts
A few months ago, I got chucked out at Forest for giving a female police officer the v-sign. I wasn't too bothered about that. It was the 80-something minute and we were getting dicked 5-1.
Oh no, you didn't. That's some hardcore shit, son. :drunk:

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
All these complaints are more about the police themselves, they're all like that. They have forgotten they are supposed to protect and serve the people. Football just puts more of these idiots together in a small area.

mutu - A lot of those are standard police tactics. Check out the documentary called 'Taking Liberties' for a more in depth look. Video taping crowds happens by police a lot now, most protests have one of them. Its thought to deter violence as being watched and recorded in plain sight then committing violence isn't the smartest thing to do. CCTV is really quite shit, quality is poor, its also discrete even with signs up. And hard to use in courts without crystal clear quality but that requires an expensive camera. What seat you're sitting in helps identify you as well, so if you threw a grenade on the pitch or something and ran off then they could track you a lot easier. :) The toilet thing may have been a trial, a deterence for example a stadium is known for drugs being passed about and fans commiting crime after because they're out of their head.

Over the top maybe but they probably have studies from all kinds of sources listing the benefits of those methods. Police have too much power now though with the erosion of our human rights.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Oh no, you didn't. That's some hardcore shit, son. :drunk:
I'm a pussey like that. :drunk:

Marc, on the surface most of those police tactics seems fairly logical but it's just a matter of balance, which there evidently isn't. It's just something that travelling football fans have become used to, and while it is often quite unpleasant, it's just accepted by supporters and generally doesn't adversely affect your day trip

The Police will always push the powers given to them, far beyond reasonable use. This also goes for the ways they apply and use their powers in other walks of life too, like demonstrating. That dictatorial regime is just a reflection of the society we live in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand the logic of treating most fans like hooligans surely they know its on the decrease and not a big issue anymore. You don't see it inside or outside grounds. My only concern is that its clear the police now have too much power and abuse it too much and its starting to become the norm. When I went to a recent FSF meeting it seemed clear most fans get agitated by the subject.

Some of my friends have stopped going to games now because its becoming too expensive and just not worth the hassle. It makes you ask if going to a match is losing its appeal? Does everyone else agree that its not hooliganism is not an issue for the police nowadays?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Forgot about this, was going to reply.

I was at the Riverside when they hammered City 8-1. That day there was some violence between the City fans and the police. It had been brewing for years, Teeside police's overzealous tactics had caused a lot of tension. At the end of the match the City fans had gone to the front behind the game to see the players off (Sven was about to be sacked, and we all knew it). Instead the police all came to the front to stop the players coming towards us, and ordered the fans back. However as there were so many, it was impossible to move back. All of a sudden one police officer smacked a City fan with a baton and all hell broke loose. Violence in football should not be encouraged, but for once the police deserved what they got for attacking unprovoked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts