Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very, very tough match for us, but its a MUST WIN game if we want to get 4th. Villa are probably the premiership's most in form team behind Arsenal. They are very good at home and will be full of confidence after beating Chelsea last week. I'm not confident at all especially with our away record.

As for the team news, Bowyer returns to the squad after being banned in europe in mid-week. Dyer is expected to start after recovering from injury, Ambrose is likely to make way. O'Brien is set to start alongside Woody after Bramble was injured against PSV. Ameobi is doubtful so Bridges will probably take his place on the bench. Griffin is still out but has returned to training.

The Squad: Given, Harper, Hughes, Bernard, Taylor, Elliott, Woodgate, O'Brien, Bramble, Speed, Robert, Dyer, Jenas, Ambrose, Bowyer, Viana, Brittain, Shearer, Bellamy, Ameobi, Bridges, Chopra.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
We always do quite well at Villa Park so I'd be very disappointed if we couldn't win this.

Liverpool, Charlton and Birmingham have gifted us so many chances to go well clear of them into fourth place and we've always blown it with a string of late goals and the odd stonewall penalty shout killing us.

We've got 2 games in hand now. It's time to get serious and get an away win for once. If we play our cards right from now on, the last day at Anfield might well be a dead-rubber.

·
Registered
278 Posts
this time last year i'd be more than confident of claimin 4th place. our form is terrible this year. ur right others have slipped up but imo none of the 4th place chasing teams have made that step up. ourselves included. with only 4 league games left, and a uefa campaign gettin serious, its about time we up our game.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nobby!

Seriously, I'd celebrate if he scored. So long as it was only a consellation goal. If it wasn't then I suppose I'd just applaud and look bemused.

We should win but its a potential banana skin. Could be worse. We could be Liverpool.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HT 0-0 We've been playing with 10 men from 7mins after O'Brien was sent off, I didn't think there was much in the incident but by the laws of the game he had to go. Jenas has gone off injured and Villa seem to get every decision given their way. We've done pretty well so far with 10 men. Not looking forward to the second half.

·
Registered
451 Posts
well a draw will be good with ten man

:(
o -
Newcastle played extremely well in defense after one man down, playing with ten man, it will be pretty difficult to get three points todays. I guess Liverpool will lost the match to MU next week, we need a point from this game, if we gonna shoot, we gonna score by depending on Viana and other youngster to do it, We must not lose this game

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
That was an absolutely mint performance by all the lads tonight in spite of everything.

O'Brien sent off for a professional foul just as dodgy as the one he copped at Stamford Bridge. He was leading Vassell in the footrace until the final couple of steps, seemed to stumble and fall, Vassell went down like a sack of s*** despite there being no goalscoring opportunity and the ref pulls out a red card no questions asked.

Ulysses De La Cruz goes in with a legsnapper on Bernard, then goes through the back of him and cynically fouls Viana late-on and all the ref gives is a yellow. Pathetic.

A dodgy 50/50 foul is a red card no questions asked but a career threatening tackle and we better be on the safe side and pull out the yellow.

Apart from that there were some fantastic signs. Bowyer and Bridges had their best games to date in a black and white shirt, Woodgate stuck to Crouch like stink on a hobo and Dyer, Speed and Shearer had brilliant games in spite of everything.

On a sombre note I was heartbroken to see Craig go down like that. The lad has worked his arse off to get fit, making regular trips Stateside to get his dodgy knees operated on and after finally looking right does his hamstring.

Bit of a concern for JJ with a knock and Bowyer who felt for his hammy late on too.

Best performance of the year that, all things considered. We created the better chances and with 11 fit men we would've won it.

Howay the lads, bring on Marseille.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a performance from the team. Bowyer was fantastic, Hughes was brilliant, Woody excellent. Everyone played their hearts out today. Bridges also looked very lively when he came on. After we went down to 10 men I thought "thats it Villa will win", but we were quite magnificant in defence and still managed to create some chances. Definately happy with a point due to the circumstances. But it was such a shame to see Bellamy and Jenas go off injured :(. I just hope the injuries aren't as serious they looked.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
And how damn good was Woodgate?

I had my doubts when we signed him, but there's no doubt whose name and number I'm getting on the back of my next shirt. He has been absolutely immense for us this season - just imagine if he had someone half decent beside him with a quality DM to give us half a chance of bossing the midfield?!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dyertribe said:
And how damn good was Woodgate?

I had my doubts when we signed him, but there's no doubt whose name and number I'm getting on the back of my next shirt. He has been absolutely immense for us this season - just imagine if he had someone half decent beside him with a quality DM to give us half a chance of bossing the midfield?!
Yeah he was immense today as he has been whenever he's been in the side, we look so much better with him in the team.

Van Bommel said he would like a move to Newcastle today dyertribe, do you think he'd be a decent signing for us? Also who would you like to see signed to partner Woody?

Ad Robbo thanks for the compliment, I think you missed Angel today and Solano didn't look fully fit, but Villa are definately still a huge threat for fourth spot.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I loved the determination shown by all the players today, fantastic performance under these circumstances. Woodgate is just amazing, I had big doubts when we signed him for so much money but he's definitely showing to be more than worth it.:)

Any news on Bellamy's situation? I really fell for him.:(

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
F1Soccer-Por. said:
How'd Viana do?
Very well I thought. Despite us only being down to 10 men Viana was brilliant when he came on for Robert. Playing in what to my mind was a free role, he held the ball up well in our half, linked up well with Bernard and Dyer on occasion and even tracked all the way back to defend at times.

In the 60th min or so he even nicked in to almost score with the outside of his foot, forcing a fine save from Sorensen. Best display from Hugo all season.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any news on Bellamy's situation? I really fell for him.:(
Unfortunately he'll almost definately be out for the season from what I've heard :(

How'd Viana do?
Very well as dyertribe said, he looked very bright, his passing was very accurate and he nearly scored. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of Hugo before the seasons up.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Prodigy said:
Van Bommel said he would like a move to Newcastle today dyertribe, do you think he'd be a decent signing for us? Also who would you like to see signed to partner Woody?
v.Bommel has been slapped with a £6m price tag, a price we can't afford to pay if we're to land Kezman. Word is we're eyeing Gravesen instead for a cutprice £2m.

As for a partner for Woody, I'm hoping we can do enough without a new signing until Steven Taylor is a little bit older and really ready for first team football (he only turned 18 in January) - David Platt and Tony Adams have been raving about him and he'd save us a fair bit of cash if he could realise his potential sooner rather than later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts