Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vieri: We threw away title Wednesday 8 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christian Vieri believes that Inter’s poor second half display against Lazio on Sunday cost the side the Scudetto.

The Nerazzurri had the chance to have been crowned champions had they won at the Olimpico, but a nightmare last 45 minutes of the season saw them lose 4-2 to hand Juventus the title.

"We lost the title in Rome. It was against Lazio that we paid the price. We arrived at that game with a one point advantage," he told the official Inter website.

"I don’t know what happened. We went back onto the pitch after half-time and threw away the championship."

Vieri had been one of the stars of Inter’s credible campaign and admits that it is difficult to accept what has occurred.

"I’m deeply disappointed for what happened on Sunday. It was a deadly beating but we must be professional enough to react to what has occurred.

"I’m sure that we can demonstrate the same hunger and hard work again next season."

When suggested that the defeat could see him more hungry to do well for the Azzurri in the World Cup, Vieri remained doubtful.

"It would have been better to win. It is difficult to transform disappointment into something positive," he added.

"We will work hard and look to do better next season than in the one that has just finished."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts